PDA

View Full Version : When is it ok to switch to booster?

DrSally
01-17-2010, 12:28 AM
I'm sure this question has been answered, but I told my sister I would ask you guys. Her DS is 5 years, 4 months, average height and weight. He's in a GN in her car (per recommendations here). But, asked me today if it would be ok to put him in a regular booster in DH's car (DH is getting sick of switching the GN back and forth), and they're hesitant to buy another GN due to the cost. Looking for minimums as well as "best practices". She mentioned that he'll be in kindergarden next year anyway, so that means (to her) booster time. I, personally, plan on keeping DS in his FR for as long as possible.

DrSally
01-17-2010, 10:05 PM
I see my question was answered in a PP
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=347432

I know you guys like the Parkway and Monterey, but wondering if there is a cheaper option for a good HBB? Target has a Graco on sale for $45+ $20 gift card.

schums
01-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Turbos are good seats (as long as you remember to screw in the arm rests), but they're shorter than the Parkway or Monterey. We have them in DH's car, where the kid's only ride 1-2x month usually. DS is a pretty big kid, and I don't think the Turbo fits him as well as the Monterey, especially across the shoulders.

DrSally
01-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Turbos are good seats (as long as you remember to screw in the arm rests), but they're shorter than the Parkway or Monterey. We have them in DH's car, where the kid's only ride 1-2x month usually. DS is a pretty big kid, and I don't think the Turbo fits him as well as the Monterey, especially across the shoulders.

The Turbo must be the one they have in the Target ad?

schums
01-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Just looked at the ad, and yes, it is a TurboBooster. If you want it, I'd go tomorrow if you can. Around here, the car seats get cleared out within a day or so of them going on sale at Target.

DrSally
01-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Thank you for looking at the ad and for the tip! I just told my sister she should go ASAP to pick one up. She can always get it and think some more about what she wants to do, and return it if she decides to go with something else.

OKKiddo
01-17-2010, 11:17 PM
If you have a friend that could go in with you, Kmart has their car seats on sale at buy one get one half off. That's supposed to be both online and in the stores. I told my friends and they're already divy'ing up who will get what, lol. ;)

DrSally
01-17-2010, 11:20 PM
If you have a friend that could go in with you, Kmart has their car seats on sale at buy one get one half off. That's supposed to be both online and in the stores. I told my friends and they're already divy'ing up who will get what, lol. ;)

I saw that in a different thread. She only needs one (he's in a GN in her car), and I'm keeping DS in his FR until he ages out of carseats :)
I don't find myself needing a 2nd seat b/c DH *never* drives somewhere with the kids wo/me (or else I'm home and he just takes the van).

jent
01-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Just to clarify, there's more to moving up to a booster than just height/weight, right? People also talk about "maturity" and I'm supposing that means that b/c a booster uses the car's seat belt, the belt has more "play" and the child can wiggle out of position, which they can't really do in a 5-pt harness. Is that it?

DD is nowhere near needing a booster, but apparently my 4 y/o tall DN needed a new carseat. My sister & already had a conversation about boosters and I recommended continuing to harness, but when I was visiting at Christmas time I noticed a new booster sittting in the living room.

DrSally
01-18-2010, 12:12 AM
I think that's true (about the maturity thing). I think it's hard to convince most parents who's kids have outgrown their convertible to get another harnessed seat. DS hasn't outgrown his Decathalon, but I got a great deal on the FR and plan on keeping him harnessed as long as possilble. But, I think that's why the combo harnessed/booster seats (GN, FR) are great. They are more expensive than a just plain HBB though. Also, I think a lot of parents see the booster as the next step after the convertible. That's why high height/weight convertibles are great.