PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a glider online w/o having sat in it first?

megan973
01-17-2010, 08:56 AM
We have really narrowed down our glider search to Dutailier since we are trying to match a natural maple furniture set, and Dutailier has many options in natural maple. The best price we've seen is from babycatalog.com (which I have ordered from before and been pleased).

However, we do not have any local stores that carry Dutailier, so we have yet to actually sit it one. A few places have Best chairs, but we don't care for the "country look" of them, plus only one design comes in natural maple.

Any thoughts on Dutalier comfort? Would you buy one online with having tried it out first? I'm struggling with this one.

lchang25000
01-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Yes, I did that and was very happy with my purchase. I did not get a Dutalier so I can't help you on that.

BabyH
01-17-2010, 01:30 PM
I just bought a Shermag glider on Amazon last night! :bighand: It was the exact same one we wanted at BRU, but BRU didn't have it in stock, and the shipping was going to be insane..... and the Amazon one ended up being cheaper with free shipping.

FWIW, I sat in Shermags and Dutailiers yesterday, and they both were very comfy. Very! But, the sticker shock on the Dutailier got to me... so we went with the Shermag instead.

tryin
01-17-2010, 03:08 PM
I would try them out first because there is a huge difference is design. I have sat in tons of gliders. I ended up getting mine from baby depot. It's more like regular chair that rocks and has a matching stool. I love it and it doesn't scream "baby rocker".

bigpassport
01-17-2010, 05:51 PM
I personally wouldn't buy a chair without trying it or a similar model. I sat in a couple gliders I definitely didn't like...one was too narrow and one had skimpy cushions. I don't know enough about all Dutailiers to say that they are all comfortable. However, I just got a Dutailier and I think it's comfortable. Maybe you can post the model you are looking at and see if anyone here on BBB can give you more assurance?

hillview
01-17-2010, 07:38 PM
In general I would not. We have 2 Dutalier (purchased separate) and love them (this is why we have 2). So I would. We have 2 of the 173 model. We've had one for almost 5 years.
/hillary

megan973
01-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Here is the one that we like (based on looks). We would order a custom wood/cushion combo. This is the 976 model and the one we like has the multiposition function. Maybe I'll try to find some online reviews of it. I've found it for about $600 for the chair and ottoman... anything local here is $300 (for what I think are uncomfortable, cheap chairs) and $800+ for the nice ones (all are custom orders because no one in town carries the natural maple that we are looking for). Thanks for your help!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d183/megan973/976100_Dutailierset.jpg

viba424
01-18-2010, 12:03 AM
It would be nice if you could try it, but if you cant, at least there are probably lots of reviews out there to give you a good idea if thats the one you really want.

Andi98989
01-20-2010, 07:41 AM
I would not - I found some of them sat so deep that it was very hard for me to get up out of them. This is one that I know I had trouble with - it had a big footprint, I couldn't easily figure out how to use the features on the chair, and it was hard to get out of.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3012837

This is the one we ended up getting and we love it. DH (6'5") and I both fit comfortably in it. The cushions are super comfy. My mom actually slept in it one night. :)
http://www.artvan.com/Furniture/Store/Product_Glide-Rocker-With-Lock_10051_10052_-1_350017071_30004_30000

boltfam
01-20-2010, 01:17 PM
BTDT...DH went and picked one out by himself b/c DS surprised us by coming early. DH is a foot taller than me and thus, picked out a glider way too deep for me. I can't sit back in it all the way and have my feet touch the ground. I would make sure you read a lot of reviews if you're going to buy one without sitting in it. In general, though, I would try to only buy one I've sat in.

czekit7
01-27-2010, 03:02 PM
If it was a new Dutailier, absolutely!!!! But don't do what I did and buy it off of freaking craigslist...had my husband pick it up....and it's CRAP!!! That'll teach me...now I don't think it was really a Dutailier, just sits in the corner of my living room, and I feed off of the couch, which is fine unless DS wants to be rocked!! :( Make sure that you get it from a reputable seller, that has a warranty or return policy, just incase it's missing parts or is damaged. Good luck!! Those gliders are awesome!

WatchingThemGrow
01-27-2010, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't do it. Chairs are just all too fit-specific IMO. Even among all the different types of gliders from Dutailier, there are so many little things that PPers have mentioned. We have a Grande model (maybe 943 or 913?) in black with red microsuede cushions. DH was very particular about how it felt to him, and I wanted him to be happy b/c I wanted him to use it to read to DC for years and years. He loves sitting in it. I find him there all the time.

My cousin's wife picked out a PBK glider on her own and one of the first things my cousin said is that he doesn't even fit in the glider and hates it.

Can you wait until you go visit some relatives and stop by a place that has them on your way? We had to make an effort to try some out, but once we got an idea of which chairs we liked, we were able to order one in the colors and fabrics we thought would work for us for years to come. We ordered from FurnitureLand South in NC as they had great prices on all the different things we wanted.

twotimesblue
01-28-2010, 10:07 PM
If you're after an upholstered glider, the Little Castle for Walmart ones are fantastic! We tried out the Little Castle 'mainline' ones in a baby boutique first (they were double the price, and we were hesitant to buy the Walmart one online without trying it first) but the quality is exactly the same on the Walmart one. With Bing cashback and store pick-up option it ended up being a really good deal and soooo comfy! DH loves it too :)

stinkyfeet
01-29-2010, 01:18 PM
I don't have a Dutailier (I opted for a leather uphostered Lazy Boy style chair and am very happy with my decision since I nurse mt 10 month old in it ALL the time). Anyway, we are big Costco fans at our house because of the good prices and generous return policy. They sell a 2 styles of Dutailier at costco.com. If you don't like it, you can always return it to your local costco!

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?ec=BC-EC5397-Cat48022&pos=8&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=48054&eCat=BC|48022|48054&lang=en-US

scrooks
01-29-2010, 06:32 PM
I would! I ordered my Shermag online based on reviews and we have been very happy with it!

lvhkitty
01-31-2010, 11:32 AM
My husband argued with me about trying out the rocker. After many nights dozing in the Dutalier glider, he is happy we went with one that had a high enough back for his head. A work colleague can't even use his because his head falls off the back. It is worthwhile to test them out!!! The chair I loved was too small for my husband.

mtnsnow
02-12-2010, 01:20 PM
No way. I am too picky. I would have to sit in it first.

There are tons of places that have them, BRU, Baby Depot, and if you are lucky enough to have a good baby specialty store in your area.

But everyone is different!