PDA

View Full Version : Please post your favorite soup recipes!

fauve01
01-17-2010, 05:33 PM
I've been in the mood for soup lately, but I am tired of my usual soup recipes (I've made a lot of Chicken Noodle lately because DD likes it). :)

Healthy soup recipes would be a big bonus (as we are trying to be "good", but not entirely necessary. *wink*

Please post your favorite soup recipes. THANKS!

Anne

Tondi G
01-17-2010, 07:34 PM
the woman who used to care for my elderly grandma used to make a super yummy soup.

She started with beef short ribs seasoned them (garlic powder and salt) and browned them in the pot. added onion, potato, carrots, green beans, corn, a chopped up tomato and I believe Yucca root. she would season with whatever my mom had lawry's seasoned salt I think. It is very much like a beef stew without a thickener so it is more brothy. It's super yummy. I've made it with various vegetables added (you really can add whatever you like)... zucchini, cabbage, pumpkin etc. I think there is something about using the short ribs with the bones in there to make a nice broth!

these little short ribs

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.chicagomeat.com/product_images/73323%2520CMA%2520Buffet%2520Beef%2520Short%2520Ri bs%25202%2520x%25202.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.chicagomeat.com/Product_Details.asp%3FProductID%3D30&usg=__3xtReboM5Je12I9u0cnoVzV9I9Q=&h=768&w=929&sz=51&hl=en&start=20&sig2=o7DQn-1J_p6TXebyU45wrA&um=1&tbnid=MGfSYNm63-jlVM:&tbnh=122&tbnw=147&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbeef%2Bshort%2Bribs%26hl%3Den%26safe% 3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DX%26um%3 D1&ei=Dp5TS5eWO5DqtgOc1-jxDg

When I make this I usually toast up some french or sourdough rolls and call it a meal!

mctlaw
01-18-2010, 05:01 PM
I cooked a mushroom soup recipe from Allrecipes.com last night and it was easy and delicious. I used low fat sour cream and I used mushroom/veg. stock since we are vegetarian.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Golden-State-Mushroom-Soup/Detail.aspx?prop31=1

ohiomom1121
01-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Definitely not the most healthy, but this is DH and I's absolute favorite soup. So yummy! I've made it for lots of friends and family and everyone always wants the recipe.

Easy Tuscan Potato Soup
Ingredients:
1/2 lb. Italian Sausage meat (I use Bob Evans spicy)
3 tbsp oil
3 red potatoes cut into medium dice size
1 small diced onion
3 tbsp flour
2 cups stewed tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup half and half cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp each of oregano, thyme, basil
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Method:
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven brown the sausage, drain excess fat. Wash and brush the potatoes. Cut into medium size dice.
Add the oil, potatoes and onion and fry until the onions are translucent. Add the flour, reduce heat and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the tomatoes and broth, simmer gently for 15 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Serve very hot.

fivi2
01-19-2010, 11:15 AM
I use this Italian Sausage soup recipe as a starting point:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/italian-sausage-soup/Detail.aspx

I read some of the comments and made a few changes based on preferences. We use spicy turkey sausage. Sometimes I add noodles - if I do, I cook the noodles separately and add them and the spinach to each bowl, not in the big soup pot. It makes enough for leftovers for us, but I think the noodles and spinach get icky if they sit in the soup overnight. So when we have the leftovers, I again cook and add noodles and spinach (spinach is not cooked!) to bowls.

fauve01
01-19-2010, 01:28 PM
These all look yummy! thank you. :)

zoestargrove
01-19-2010, 03:24 PM
I don't have a recipe, but let me see if I can get this down.

It's a chicken tortilla type soup

start with onions, celery, carrots, peppers saute in olive oil
add:
chicken broth,
can of diced tomatoes (Rotel if you want spicy or plain for a milder version)
frozen corn,
black beans
chicken *
and chili pepper to taste. (I think I usually add 1 tablespoon, maybe 2?)

boil uncovered until the liquid has reduced a little to make it a little thicker.

I like to add chopped cilantro and crushed tortilla chips when I'm serving.

I've cooked the chicken and shredded it -or- you can shred/cut pieces off a rotisserie supermarket chicken.

missym
01-19-2010, 03:42 PM
That sounds really similar to one of our favorite recipes - Chicken Taco Soup. It's especially good on cold winter nights.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Chicken-Taco-Soup/Detail.aspx

karstmama
01-19-2010, 07:02 PM
entirely non-healthy! but so so yummy!

new england clam chowder

2 cans baby clams (geisha is one brand name)
1 pt half & half
some milk (enough to fill the two clam cans)
bit of salt pork or couple of pieces of bacon cut small
chopped medium onion
several potatoes, cut to bite size. i don't peel them. i like lots, so i use around 5 medium ones
about 1/2 stick butter (original recipe was a stick, so see how i've healthied it up??)

ok, melt the butter & add salt pork or bacon and the onion on medium high in a soup pot. cook until the onion is clear & soft, 10 or so minutes. add the potatoes and the juice from the baby clams, but not the clams themselves. when the potatoes are soft (20-30 mins), add the clams, the half & half, and two clam-cans of milk. salt & pepper to taste, serve with saltines or oysterettes once warmed through - total yum!

the butter will form a skin when it cools. just heat thoroughly again & it's fine.

fivi2
01-19-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't have a recipe, but let me see if I can get this down.

It's a chicken tortilla type soup

start with onions, celery, carrots, peppers saute in olive oil
add:
chicken broth,
can of diced tomatoes (Rotel if you want spicy or plain for a milder version)
frozen corn,
black beans
chicken *
and chili pepper to taste. (I think I usually add 1 tablespoon, maybe 2?)

boil uncovered until the liquid has reduced a little to make it a little thicker.

I like to add chopped cilantro and crushed tortilla chips when I'm serving.

I've cooked the chicken and shredded it -or- you can shred/cut pieces off a rotisserie supermarket chicken.

We do a similar type thing, but no real recipe (having it tonight, in fact!)

willow33
01-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Just made this soup tonight for dinner...no real recipe...just winged it ;)

2 cans tomato basil soup
1 can diced tomatoes in sauce
added some chicken stock
added some dried basil
about 1lb cooked shrimp cut into bite-sized pieces
about 1.5 cups of cooked pasta (I used mini penne)
some frozen peas
sprinkled red pepper flakes for a little kick

It came out really good! I think next time I may add some roasted asparagus to it.

boolady
01-28-2010, 11:41 PM
That sounds really similar to one of our favorite recipes - Chicken Taco Soup. It's especially good on cold winter nights.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Chicken-Taco-Soup/Detail.aspx

This looks great, and since I'm not good at winging it, am saving this recipe. Do you drain the beans? It notes that the corn should be drained, but doesn't say for the beans. I've always drained and rinsed beans since that liquid is so salty, but I don't know if in this recipe it's supposed to contribute to the broth. TIA!

tylersmama
01-29-2010, 12:33 AM
I've been on a major soup kick lately. Here are a couple that I've been making a lot:

White Chili

* 1 onion, chopped (i used a red onion)
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 cans Rotel (Hot)
* 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
* 2 (4 oz) cans of canned chopped green chile peppers (preferably Hatch's Hot)
* 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
* 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
* Ground cayenne pepper to taste
* Ground white pepper to taste
* 3 (15 oz) cans of white beans
* 5 C of chicken broth

Brown meat and add all ingredients to crock pot and cook on high for no less than 3 hours. Top with a dollop of sour cream, sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese and eat with tortilla chips or tortilla shells.

*note...be VERY careful with the seasonings...it can get really spicy really easily...I actually use regular rotel and mild green chiles and add spice through the cayenne and white pepper. I like it hot, but if I make it TOO hot, DS won't eat it!

PW's Cauliflower Soup (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/01/cauliflower-soup/)

Ingredients

1 stick Butter
½ whole Onion, Finely Diced
1 whole Carrot Finely Diced
1 stalk Celery, Finely Diced
1 whole (to 2 Whole) Cauliflower Heads (roughly Chopped)
2 Tablespoons Fresh Or Dried Parsley (chopped)
2 quarts Low-sodium Chicken Broth Or Stock
6 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
2 cups Whole Milk
1 cup Half-and-half
2 teaspoons To 4 Teaspoons Salt, To Taste
1 cup (heaping) Sour Cream, Room Temperature

Preparation Instructions

In a large soup pot or dutch oven, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes, or until it starts to turn brown. Add the carrots and celery and cook an additional couple of minutes. Add cauliflower and parsley and stir to combine. Cover and cook over very low heat for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, pour in chicken stock or broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer.
In a medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Mix the flour with the milk and whisk to combine. Add flour-milk mixture slowly to the butter, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup half-and-half. Add mixture to the simmering soup. Allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Check seasoning and add more salt or pepper if necessary.
Just before serving, place the sour cream in a serving bowl or soup tureen. Add two to three ladles of hot soup into the tureen and stir to combine with the sour cream. Pour in remaining soup and stir.
Serve immediately.

*I use my stick blender to puree this one up a bit, both because it makes it more creamy and because DS doesn't like it too chunky. :p