PDA

View Full Version : Am I taking too long with the solids??

mamainflorida
01-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Hi,
At my DD's 4 month appt, her doctor gave us the ok to start her on rice cereal. So we did that for a few weeks, noticed she was getting constipated, and moved on to oatmeal.

At some point around 5 months, we started with veggies. So far, she's tried and likes: sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, and peas. Last week, was her 6 month appt and the doctor said to just keep doing what we're doing... meaning keep giving her formula primarily, but also giving her cereal, fruits, and veggies.

She also said that soon, we'd be able to start her on proteins, like chicken, etc.

Well, last night, I was on the phone with my sister in law and she thinks we're extremely delayed in giving her chicken and turkey, and actually said the opposite about formula (i.e. she thinks we should give DD solids first and foremost, followed by milk; side note: SIL is a doctor in Canada, has 2 kids of her own).

Who is right? I'm always more inclined to just follow what DD's pediatrician says (who herself is a young mom of 2 kids), but my SIL really made it sound as though we're far behind! (DD is 6 months 1 week).

Any thoughts? I know there are no rules, but are we behind??

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
01-17-2010, 05:59 PM
I think you are really far ahead. The current recommendation by the AAP is no solids till 6m.

I think that breastmilk or formula is more than enough for them and the rest is just for practice, especially at 6m.

I didn't start solids at all till 6m with my boys and they didn't really get any protein things (yogurt, meat, cheese) till around 8m.

Beth

mamainflorida
01-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Thank you! That's what I thought!
Maybe it's different in Canada...???

KrisM
01-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Yeah, my boys had no solids until 6 months and DD was closer to 9 months when she was finally interested. It's easier, as you can skip cereal and they move to finger foods quickly. All 3 had proteins at 8-9 months.

tnrnchick74
01-17-2010, 07:56 PM
I think you are really far ahead. The current recommendation by the AAP is no solids till 6m.

I think that breastmilk or formula is more than enough for them and the rest is just for practice, especially at 6m.

I didn't start solids at all till 6m with my boys and they didn't really get any protein things (yogurt, meat, cheese) till around 8m.

Beth

I started DS on cereal at the ped's suggestion at 4 months since he was drinking WAY more formula than a normal child. But because of his milk protein allergy we were told to ONLY do rice cereal...and small amount JUST to "bulk up" his feeds a bit to keep him more satisfied.

At 6 months we started fruits/veggies VERY SLOWLY. He didn't get proteins until 10 months. We didn't finish all the baby fruits/veggies until then. And we had to stop several times because of possible reactions.

I think you are ahead of the game. Many organizations have different recommendations. YOU chose your ped for a reason. And I don't think any 1 way is "right", just different.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-17-2010, 08:37 PM
AAP says not to start solids until 6 months and it is just for practice. Breastmilk or formula should be the baby's main nutrition until 1 year.

We didn't start solids until 10 months and she didn't really take to it until 11 months. Now at 15 months she eats everything we eat and feeds herself.

catsnkid
01-17-2010, 09:06 PM
We started at 5 1/2months only because he had diarhea from antibiotics and the doctor thought rice cereal might help. He is 7 1/2 months old- in the last few weeks we have done the meats, prev only veggies and cereal.. We did take a few weeks off from solids as he was really ill a month ago and not interested in much..

maestramommy
01-17-2010, 10:40 PM
At every wellcheck the ped gives me an info sheet about what to expect. At Laurel's 6 mo wellcheck the sheet said milk is still the primary source of food. At this age they would be drinking 3-5 times a day 6-8 oz. I read that as 24-32 oz. There's no way this can be accomplished without giving milk first, food second. My aunt has been running an in home daycare for over 30 years, and she always gives milk first, then food for the first 9 months. After that she SLOWLY starts reversing the process.

I think you're doing well. We just started solids at 6 mo, and we've gotten almost nowhere. It appears Laurel wants grownup food, not pureed, so I will have to go even more slowly as I figure out how to give her regular food without choking.

mamainflorida
01-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Great, thank you all for your replies! I appreciate it!

Tondi G
01-18-2010, 12:14 AM
my oldest started cereal at 4 months and ate like a champ. He was nursing every 2 to 3 hours around the clock so the ped thought maybe he needed something more. We did Oatmeal for about a month and then started adding fruits and vegis. At 6 months since we had introduced a nice array we got the go ahead to start chicken. we just made chicken soup. pulled the meat off of a thigh and pureed with some carrots and celery from the soup and a bit of broth. He loved it!

We did something similar with my 2nd DS but we didn't start solids till around 5 months. he didn't take to the cereal as well as my 1st ... we took it slow and didn't push anything. Once he was ready he went through the fruits and vegis fairly quickly too and moved on to chicken.

Both my kids loved finger foods and table foods earlier than a lot of our friends kids. They are both really good eaters!

My ped always said that the milk... breast or formula is more important that anything else in the first year!

hellokitty
01-18-2010, 08:58 AM
You doctor sil is mistaken. At 6 mo of age, a baby should still be getting formula/breastmilk first and THEN some solids. As far as I am concerned before age one, solids are all, "practice" anyway. You are way ahead on the solids. DS 3 just recently turned 6 mo and we haven't started solids yet and quite honestly, I'm in no hurry to do so. With DS2, he kept throwing up (from gagging) on solids at 6 mo and it wasn't until he was closer to 9-10 mo that we started him on solids. He did just fine.

rizzo0904
01-18-2010, 05:38 PM
We started ds on solids at 4 months. We did the oatmeal as he hated rice cereal. By 8 months old he was eating applesauce, pears, bananas, avocado, papaya, strawberries, prunes, mango, watermelon, peas, beans, squash, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, salmon, beef, chicken, lentils, eggs, yogurt, pasta, cheese, and sweet potatoes. By one he was off formula and drinking milk out of a sippy and eating whatever we were eating for meals. We take him out for Thai, Korean, Italian...everything. He's even had things like squid and kimchi. I just let him guide me for food and when he wanted to try stuff, I'd let him. We never did jarred baby food...we made our own. I'm hoping he stays as adventurous as he is. He's 16 months btw.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Just for a different point of data, we didn't start solids until 10 months and she didn't eat any until 11 months, and now at 15 months she eats everything we eat and enjoys it all. We don't eay squid or kimchi ;) therefore she has never tried those.

I think that kids will eat when they are developmentally ready to eat, no matter when you try to start.

BeccaB.
01-19-2010, 08:58 AM

:yeahthat: