PDA

View Full Version : Favorite backpack diaper bag?

maylips
01-17-2010, 11:14 PM
I desperately need my hands free with two kiddos - an almost 3 year old potty trained child and a 5 month old. Need your opinions here - and feel free to tell me why you love your backpack! (or an alternative to what I've posted here)

cndnveggie
01-18-2010, 03:48 AM
I love my Ju-Ju-Be Be Right Back! It's so well organized, there's a spot for everything! And you don't have to empty everything out just to get one thing! It's very comfortable too - I've worn it stuffed, for hours at a time, and it hasn't bothered me at all!

I highly recommend it :D

npace19147
01-18-2010, 11:12 AM
I loved my JJB MiniBe. I am a pretty light packer and like my bag to be as small as possible, so this was great for me.

mommylamb
01-18-2010, 11:25 AM
I have a PBK backpack diaper bag that I love, but don't think they make my style any longer.

twowhat?
01-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Can anyone recommend a good diaper backpack with an integrated cooler? I often pack a healthy lunch for my twins when we eat out in case they don't want to eat what we are eating. I've been looking at the Baby Sherpa but 1) it's expensive and 2) reviews are REALLY mixed.

Or has anyone decided it's easier to get a backpack where you can just attach a separate cooler?

lucybabymamma
01-18-2010, 05:07 PM
PPB boxy backpack glazed is great!

arivecchi
01-18-2010, 08:18 PM
The Baby Sherpa is amazing! Cooler compartment, insulated bottle holder, many pockets, changing pad, ergonomic design...I use it a lot for daytrips and travel and the bag still looks new. I can always fit everything I need in it. I highly recommend it!

Dream
01-19-2010, 12:24 PM
I tried the OSA backpack but returned it. I like the LE bag so far but it doesn't have cooler.

I don't think PBK makes backpack diaper bags anymore. Which type is it that allows you to attach a cooler?

I was planning on keeping the LE bag and then buy a foogo jar to store warm food. I heard the foogo keeps the temp for hours.

maurenemm
01-19-2010, 01:25 PM
twowhat - I've recently came across some Danika backpacks with with integrated coolers. You can see them on Ebags - some models I know of that have the coolers are the Eve pack and Jewel pack. (There are some on 6pm.com for real cheap.) I saw a pick of one with three water bottles (maybe 16oz each) stuffed in the cooler compartment. The JuJuBe Be Right Back also has an insulated compartment but is even more expensive than the Sherpa.

mecawa
01-19-2010, 10:15 PM
I said other because I just bought a Vera Bradley Microfiber (black) backpack and I am using it as a diaper bag and I LOVE it. I have a 6 yr. old and 1 yr.old. I bought it because I needed my hands free, but am at the point where I don't really need a huge diaper bag like I have been carrying around. I use my Skip Hop Pronto (fits in it just fine) along with it and it works perfectly. It has a lot of compartments which is what I need and even two pockets on the side that fit a sippy cup.

twowhat?
01-19-2010, 10:55 PM
The Dakine bags were intriguing. I spent a bunch of time looking at them but can't find one with a cooler compartment AND bungee straps (I could see the bungee straps coming in REALLY handy). And a lot of them just look too small to hold everything I need for 2 kids. The Baby Sherpa has all those and Costco sells it for $75. If it falls apart in a year, I could return it, right? That was the main concern I had with the Baby Sherpa (apart from the price) since a lot of reviewers complained that it fell apart too soon. It's just too bad Baby Sherpa doesn't come in cuter/more interesting patterns:)

wencit
01-19-2010, 11:43 PM
I love my JJB Packabe, but if I were to do it again, I'd probably get a BeRightBack instead. I wear it in the backpack mode 99% of the time, so I don't need the option to convert it to a messenger bag (which is sometimes quite annoying, the way the straps pull up). I have an almost 4-year-old, as well as a 6-month-old, and I find that the Packabe is often full to the brim. I think the larger BRB might have suited my needs better, at least at this age. Maybe when DS2 gets a little older and doesn't need as much stuff, the Packabe would be better since it's a bit smaller. I have really weak shoulders and was worried that the backpack diaper bag style might strain them too much, but I've found my Packabe to be super comfortable to wear, even all day long and fully stuffed. I just love having my hands free!

gatorsmom
01-20-2010, 01:31 AM
I've had several of the PPB and now have the JJB Packabe. I loved my PPBs but have to say the JJB would be the one I'd buy next time. It is just more durable and dependable. But honestly, the PPB is a very close second.

elektra
01-20-2010, 01:53 AM
We have a Quicksilver backpack diaper bag and it is so sturdy and holds a ton. It's really sporty and looks like a " real" backpack though, not like a ju-ju-be. So it might not be exactly what you are looking for.

scrooks
01-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Any opinions of the Vera Bradley large backpack for diaper bag use?

maurenemm
01-20-2010, 02:06 PM
twowhat? - I've been thinking the exact same thing about the bungee straps - that they'd be so useful. And I have the same worries about the quality of the Sherpa. I've searched high and low for for a backpack with bungee straps and a cooler and can't find one (other than the Sherpa). I still haven't decided what to buy....

arivecchi
01-20-2010, 02:25 PM
The Baby Sherpa has all those and Costco sells it for $75. If it falls apart in a year, I could return it, right? That was the main concern I had with the Baby Sherpa (apart from the price) since a lot of reviewers complained that it fell apart too soon. It's just too bad Baby Sherpa doesn't come in cuter/more interesting patterns:) Really? Mine has take quite a beating for 3 years now and looks new. I like the fact that it is a black solid backpack and does not have cutesy prints or colors, but I live in a large city so that just seems more appropriate. :) I love the bungee straps. I place my kids' fleece jackets or fleece blankets there (two jackets or blankets!)

twowhat?
01-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Really? Mine has take quite a beating for 3 years now and looks new. I like the fact that it is a black solid backpack and does not have cutesy prints or colors, but I live in a large city so that just seems more appropriate. :) I love the bungee straps. I place my kids' fleece jackets or fleece blankets there (two jackets or blankets!)

OK you've just about convinced me to order it. Hopefully the quality hasn't suffered in recent years like just about every other product on the market. I looked through ALL the Dakine bags hoping for one with both cooler and bungee straps - nothing! I was so hopeful too because they are cheap, they have packs with coolers, and packs with bungee straps but not both!! LOL!

arivecchi
01-21-2010, 03:03 PM
I think MamaKath has a Baby Sherpa too. You could ask her for her feedback also. I could not live without mine and am travelling with it and the two kiddos next week. It is all I take on the plane for the 3 of us.

maylips
01-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Yeah, for some reason the black Baby Sherpa is what is making me NOT like that backpack for some reason. I'm not a cutesy person at all, but I am just drawn to the Ju Ju Be's patterns much more than a regular backpack. Maybe that's just not practical long term, though.

I also read a lot of reviews that the BS didn't hold up well. The JJBs get great reviews, although they're a lot more expensive. I just don't know if the Be Right Back would be too big or not. I have a Fleurville Mothership and it is so cumbersome. I can't stand it.

audys
01-23-2010, 12:37 AM
Hi, my baby Sherpa has held up well but it doesn't stand up on it's own very well (falls over). The cooler being on the bottom is a problem unless it's always full. A cooler will fit into the bottom of the JJB BRB. I think there *might* be a new JJB backpack coming out because the BRB's are being discontinued?!?

I have a Land's End backpack and it's huge. Perfect for long-distance travel but not practical for every day.

If you want a small bag, consider a Chester diaper backpack. I have 2 and LOVE them.

I really dislike that the PPB cannot be washed. The JJB can be washed and are much easier to clean. Like it or not, I've had all sorts of spills and messes in my bags over the years.

Vera Bradley can be machine washed but can get soggy in the rain.

I'd say go for the JJB!! Happy shopping!

MamaKath
01-23-2010, 01:25 PM
I think MamaKath has a Baby Sherpa too. You could ask her for her feedback also. I could not live without mine and am travelling with it and the two kiddos next week. It is all I take on the plane for the 3 of us.
I am not on much lately. :) I have both the Sherpa and the Shorthaul. I think they are fantastic! They have held up great for years. They both get used, even with kids out of diapers. They are not crazy prints, or passing fads. They don't stand easily if the cooler is not used. But if I am not bringing food, I can stuff the cooler with other stuff (changes of clothes, etc). I can easily put a couple coloring books where the changing pad goes to even carry those with me. Now that I don't use it as a changing pad, I keep it in there as extra padding or a spot for me to sit (think wet bench at the park while the kids play, lol). I have kids with food issues, so they are perfect for us, even well past the diapering days. DH doesn't mind carrying them, they are comfortable to carry and are great bags!!! The levels caused by having a seperate cooler allows for a more comfortable bag when fully loaded. I don't hurt after carrying it, like I did with a regular backpack that allowed all the heavy stuff to land at the bottom. It has held up, is still used, doesn't look babyish, is perfect for traveling with mom or dad, is not a print that is out as a trend passes, and just an overall great bag. Costco is a great place to purchase.

Vera Bradley has a great large backpack. It is lightweight. You can purchase matching accessories like a snack cooler or lunchbox. They wash well. I have found they are not as comfy to wear (the heavy stuff falls to the bottom) though. They are also bags that will go out as the trend changes (they are constantly coming out with new prints and retiring old ones) so you may no longer find matching accessories or may find a new pattern you love and want everything in (an expensive habit!). I have owned and used tons of VB bags over the years. The straps do eventually show wear! The VB site though has lots of discounted bags, so you might score a great deal.

JJB bags tend to be heavy, and the prints change frequently also. They do have some great features, but are not going to outlive your child's diapering days due to the fabric options unless you go with a solid color. It is a big investment for something with a shorter life span. The BRB is similar to the Sherpa in features, but 2x the price. They are very nice if you want to spend the $$$ though!!!

HTH~

sassytrojan
03-18-2010, 03:56 AM
We have a Quicksilver backpack diaper bag and it is so sturdy and holds a ton. It's really sporty and looks like a " real" backpack though, not like a ju-ju-be. So it might not be exactly what you are looking for.

You are the ONLY reference online that I've seen of this item, but my friend is pregnant and is specifically searching for this exact item for her macho hubby, the Quicksilver diaper backpack. Can you pretty please share where you got it? ANY info at all would be so helpful, 13 Google searches later and this is the only clue we have! :cheerleader1:

PAfirsttimemom
03-18-2010, 11:04 AM
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3199292

I got this Columbia model from BRU before a Disney trip this year and like it well enough that I have continued to use it as my main diaper bag since returning home.

AnnieW625
03-18-2010, 11:50 AM
I like my old classic Eddie Bauer backpack from college. It doesn't have a separate bottle holder, but since I usually just did formula when we were out or milk boxes I never had an issue with that.

vahnessuh
03-20-2010, 05:30 AM
JuJuBe BeRightBack! Hands down my favorite diaper bag backpack. If that's too big for you, the Packabe is probably the better size for you... although it doesn't work for me. Tried giving it some love for a month now and I just can't make it work.

stinkyfeet
03-20-2010, 09:57 PM
The Dakine bags were intriguing. I spent a bunch of time looking at them but can't find one with a cooler compartment AND bungee straps (I could see the bungee straps coming in REALLY handy). And a lot of them just look too small to hold everything I need for 2 kids. The Baby Sherpa has all those and Costco sells it for $75. If it falls apart in a year, I could return it, right? That was the main concern I had with the Baby Sherpa (apart from the price) since a lot of reviewers complained that it fell apart too soon. It's just too bad Baby Sherpa doesn't come in cuter/more interesting patterns:)

This was the exact reason I got it at Coscto! If it falls apart, they will take it back--no questions asked!! :bighand:

I got mine in camoflage a few weeks ago--the camo looks better IRL than in the pics (DH picked the color). If you buy it at Costco, it ships directly from the manufacturer. I like it so far. I really like having the integrated cooler since DS eats so much throughout the day. We will use the cooler part next week to store our wet clothing for a pool party we will attend.

I was planning to use it for day trip outings since it is getting warmer. I use my Storksak Emily on a daily basis since I only have one kiddo!