PDA

View Full Version : Keyfit 30 fit concern?

Edensmum
01-18-2010, 12:51 PM
I have a two week old, we are using the keyfit 30 and it seems to me that his head is always pushed forward in a way that makes it look like it would be difficult to breath. I don't remember this with dd in the Primo Vaggio, the Keyfit infant insert seems to have bulk behind the head but not around to keep it upright or centered. It also does not have the peice of fabric that goes around the buckle that helps protect them from getting thighs pinched when clicking the straps into the buckle. Is mine just missing this or does it not have it? I am not liking this seat overall, and there was no place to see it in person so I ordered it based on reviews. Any tips for helping with these things?

srhs
01-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Any chance you could post a pic to show how the newborn insert stuff is looking?
I've been using our KF30 for 17 of the last 21 months, so I see it a lot. lol

We don't have fabric around the buckle, but it's never caused us trouble. For us, the buckle entrance tends to come up around baby's lower abdomen rather than down by the legs.

eta: I PMed you a pic of my LO at 3 weeks in his. See if things look different...

AnnieW625
01-18-2010, 01:44 PM
I don't have the seat, but I believe I have read that the infant padding comes out at a certain weight so if you had a large baby at birth he might be ready to not have the insert in the seat!

Edensmum
01-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Any chance you could post a pic to show how the newborn insert stuff is looking?
I've been using our KF30 for 17 of the last 21 months, so I see it a lot. lol

We don't have fabric around the buckle, but it's never caused us trouble. For us, the buckle entrance tends to come up around baby's lower abdomen rather than down by the legs.

eta: I PMed you a pic of my LO at 3 weeks in his. See if things look different...

Thanks, mine look similar to yours, it just seems like the babe's head is pushed so he's not laying back but his double chin is resting on his chest, it doesn't look comfy or good for breathing.

Joolsplus2
01-19-2010, 01:38 PM
A friend's newborn seemed to look similar at that age. He was on the cusp of 11 pounds so taking out the infant padding and the head pad made it fit a lot better with his head more leaned back and reclined.

Belated congratulations on your new arrival!

KrisM
01-19-2010, 02:38 PM
I don't have the seat, but I believe I have read that the infant padding comes out at a certain weight so if you had a large baby at birth he might be ready to not have the insert in the seat!

That's just the body padding, not the head insert, if I remember correctly.

I didn't notice any issues with the head being forward for DS2. And the buckle wasn't near his thighs. Maybe your crotch strap is twisted or caught on something, if it's near the thighs?

newg
01-19-2010, 02:59 PM
You can take all the extra padding out of it.......the extra head "pillow" and the infant padding...........the infant padding needs to come out at 11lbs anyways, but you can take it out before if you need to.

newg
01-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Here is a pic of DD when she was coming home.....she weighed less than 7lbs at the time.
Not sure if these help or not.

sunshine873
01-20-2010, 07:42 AM
We haven't had any problems with the buckle. As for the inserts, we took the body insert out right at 11 pounds (that's the requirement.) I finally took the head insert out of DD's Keyfit last week! Yes, she's turning 1 tomorrow! :) This is one of the best infant headrests out there, but if you still feel like DS's head is moving around too much, you could always insert rolled-up towels on the side of the headrests. I can't imagine most full-term babies would need that, but we did up until DD was about 7 pounds.