PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a booster please ... I'm overwhelmed.

Toba
01-18-2010, 04:21 PM
It feels like my DS has outgrown his Marathon overnight. He is *seriously* growing like a weed. DS will be 6 in March, weighs about 50 lbs. and is 48 to 49" tall. He still needs to be in a five-point harness, right (I saw ones that were just a bottom seat and the seat belt ran through the front of them)? I have a Honda Odyssey; DH has a Blazer (I think it's a 2000, but I can't remember). Right now, I'd like to get one for the Ody and get a second one for the Blazer later. We are on a budget, but I don't want to skimp on a car seat so I'm not really worried about the cost. Can anybody tell me what I should be looking for? I saw a few of them had head "wings" (I'm not sure what they're called). At first I thought they'd be a hinderance, but DH pointed out that they might be a good thing since DS often falls asleep in the car. What would be the safest and best fit for my Ody?

I need to order it ASAP, as I don't think he fits the Marathon at all anymore really. The past two weeks, we've had to take his winter jacket off just to get the straps snapped (he's long and lean, like his father).

DrSally
01-18-2010, 04:27 PM
It seems like people here like the Monterrey and Parkway. Not sure how much those cost. The Graco Turbo Booster is $45 at Target with a $20 gift card, but it has a lower height range, I believe.

KrisM
01-18-2010, 04:44 PM
No, he doesn't need to be harnessed. There has been talk here lately about whether it's safe(r) or not to be harnessed at older ages/bigger sizes. But, at 6, if he can sit correctly in a booster, you're fine putting him in that. But, make sure it's a high back booster, not just a no-back one.

The Monterey or Parkway get lots of good things said about them, but I've never tried either although I have a Parkway in a box in the garage...

jackyl08
01-18-2010, 06:14 PM
You can tell if he is outgrowing his Marathon by where his shoulders are. As long as they are above the top strap slot, you have a little time. He is right about the average age and size that kids seem to outgrow the Marathon. I would agree that he could just go to a booster. I really like the Turbo, as well as the Monteray.

MommytoWyatt
01-20-2010, 11:00 AM
We just got a Parkway SG about a week ago and my son really loves the seat. We made a big deal about moving to the seat and that he would only graduate to a booster if we could depend on him to buckle in correctly and sit correctly. He's done fabulous. I was hesitant to move to a booster as well, but have no concerns now. We do not have LATCH, so I chose the smaller profile of this seat over the monterey. I wanted something I could shift around easy to use my 60/40 fold when he wasn't with me.

He has no issue with the slip guard. That was my big concern with the seat. He loves the headwings too.

I found it for $95.99/free shipping on trekking tykes (I think that is what is was called). Anyway, diapers.com did a price match for me and I got overnight shipping free.

KrisM
01-20-2010, 02:41 PM
You can tell if he is outgrowing his Marathon by where his shoulders are. As long as they are above the top strap slot, you have a little time. He is right about the average age and size that kids seem to outgrow the Marathon. I would agree that he could just go to a booster. I really like the Turbo, as well as the Monteray.

Actually, for forward facing, his shoulders need to be below, not above, the top slot for the harness.

Roni
01-21-2010, 10:33 AM
My 6-year-old dd (40 lbs. on a good day) is in a Parkway and likes it. (FYI, by the end of kindergarten, she was one of only two children in her class still in a 5-pt. harness. Not that the majority is right, but your son meets the size requirements.) My 9-year-old dd moved from the Parkway into a Graco Turboboster. She is getting tall for it, but it converts to a backless booster, so I think we'll be heading in that direction, soon.