PDA

View Full Version : Help me from going overboard w/playroom

dazdance
01-18-2010, 05:12 PM
We made a recent decision to convert my office (12x12) into a playroom for DD, 13 mos. I want to start over completely, repaint and make it super sweet...(Liking the Mammut table and chairs from Ikea and bright whimsical colors) But now I'm waffling on going overboard...should I leave the room it's current color and with the club chair in it, (khaki green with gorgeous tapestry drapes and chair) and just toss DD's toys in there with some sort of toy organizer? We may be selling our home in the next few months, and I don't know if a bright fun playroom is a selling feature or not :) I want to do it (I get more excited if an overhaul is involved) but it might not be necessary...any feedback? Thanks!

rizzo0904
01-18-2010, 05:40 PM
If you are selling, I'd keep it neutral. Your child doesn't care what color the walls are, s/he just wants the toys!

WatchingThemGrow
01-18-2010, 05:41 PM
If you're selling, I wouldn't dare paint it. When looking at houses (before DH, DC) I was totally turned off by bubblegum pink rooms, playrooms, toys, etc. When we are ready to sell, we're going to have to move out or rent a storage unit and put all our plastic junk/toys in it immediately. Save your energy for your new place and do the overhaul there!

sste
01-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Maybe you should wait until you know if you are moving? I do think a neutral office will re-sell better than a playroom.

Or, at a min, I would do a test drive where you just push your office stuff into a corner and move in the DC's toys and see if she plays there. My DS, who is now 2, would have zero interest in playing anyplace apart from us - - his toys are mainly in our living room or dragged into the kitchen when we cook. So, think about where YOU like to hang out too.

dazdance
01-18-2010, 05:46 PM
I knew I could get some good advice here :) If we do end up selling, the land mine o'toys will have to go elsewhere anyhow. I might just to a low shelf unit to corral some of them and keep the chair and drapes as they are. For selling, we could always call it a den.

sste
01-18-2010, 06:59 PM
You could keep it a neutral color and do one wall of decals from etsy - - I am kind of partial to the flock of clustered butterflies one or some of the garden/forest ones rather than just a decal here and there.