PDA

View Full Version : Baby 1 week old and BF problems...

fedoragirl
01-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Well, I had my baby after a c-section, which I didn't really want, but oh well. I figured that I could at least BF as a sort of tradeoff...my not getting the birth I wanted but at least have a healthy BF relationship.
Well, we are at the end of week 1, and my nipples are constantly sore and they are bleeding. I am not even sure if I should continue BFing because of the bleeding...I'll tolerate the pain if it helps my baby.
The LC helped us in the hospital but I just can't get the latch right. The baby lost 11% of her birthweight in the first week, so the pediatrician recommended supplementing with formula (which is a total pain), but we did it. I think baby likes nursing more and I certainly want to do it, but we can't get past three issues:
1. poor latch
2. my extremely sore and bleeding nipples (and I have tried the soothing remedies, Lansinoh, warm compresses, frozen peas...)
3. pediatrician's pushing to increase formula intake to increase baby's weight

Oh, and does one have to wake the baby every few hours? I know it's sleep deprivation for me, but it seems to affect the baby a lot. She hates waking up on demand and refuses, no matter what we try...cold hands, stripping down to diaper, rousing with music or songs,.....

Any help would be appreciated because I am getting ready to throw in the towel to formula. :(

SnuggleBuggles
01-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Congratulations on your little girl!!!

It would be great if you could find a pediatrician that is actually supportive of breastfeeding. Having someone around casting doubts on a fragile situation is not good. A great support team can make or break those early (hard!) weeks of breastfeeding. If switching a ped isn't an option (I know that's a hard one at this stage of the game), have you tried to find another LC or nursing support group like LLL? I found that the LC that came to see me in the hospital postpartum was so rushed that she just plain wasn't helpful. We went back to the same hospital a day later and had an appointment with an LC. So much better! She worked with us for over an hour to try and get a good latch, learn different positions and basically get the hang of things. Dh went too and paid good attention. he was my bf'ing champion at home b/c he knew good positioning and technique (he paid better attention than I did). I'd highly recommend trying to get some more one on one attention. Your pediatrician or your OB or midwife should be able to hook you up with someone.

I much preferred Mother Love nipple cream (Whole Foods and some other baby boutiques and natural food stores) because you didn't have to really rub it in like Lansinoh. See if you can get your hands on that.

We did wake him up during the day. They can get into a viscous cycle when they get so sleepy since they aren't eating enough then they are more tired. Keep trying.

I am sorry this is so hard. I hope you can find some great IRL support because that is the best. But, we're here to try and help!

Beth

elektra
01-18-2010, 08:05 PM
A nipple shield saved me with both kids. My nipples were just wrecked with ds. And the nipple shield got us through the first few long weeks. I also saw a lactation consultant at about 1 week and that really helped out. I can't speak to the waking issue as my kids never went longer than 3 hours in the first few weeks.

andie16
01-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Congratulations!! I have a two week old baby girl who was a month early and I do need to wake her up to eat, something I did not have to do with either of my older two children. My ped is also concerned about weight gain, but we were able to stop the formula supplements after the first couple of days.

This time around my nipples are not sore, but I do remember that and it is so painful. I feel for you. If the Lansinoh isn't working, I would try the creme that Beth suggested. Also try going braless if leaking isn't a problem for you. I think the air helps and not having something rub against you all the time might feel a little better.

Definitely go see a lactation consultant and consider seeing another pediatrician, if you feel you are not getting enough support. Getting the latch right is so important-both for the baby to get the milk and for you to not be in so much pain. Once you do get it right you will see that nursing isn't nearly as painful.

Good luck!

Snow mom
01-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Is 11% a large weight loss? Can someone remind me what the target is? It sounds to me like your ped isn't particularly BF-friendly. We ended up switching peds, not for the same reason, but it was less of a big deal than it felt like at the time. It might be worth considering if you feel like it's not a good fit.

We stopped waking DD to eat at 2 weeks. I believe the ped felt we never needed to do it, but didn't mention that until the 2 week visit. You'll hear a lot of things about whether or not you should wake a sleepy baby and you need to do what you feel is right. I think unless you are dealing with jaundice I probably wouldn't wake the baby. Just aim for 9-10 feedings per 24 hours, however the baby wants to space them. I remember feeling like the baby was always nursing in the early weeks. She slept like a dream at night though.

What got me through the early weeks was soothies. I would take them off and DH would put them in the fridge while I nursed. Then he would bring them back to me and take the baby. The gel pads really help with healing IMO. Anyway, it does get easier and I would certainly recommend seeking some IRL help. You can call LLL leaders at any time, you don't have to wait for a meeting. Another LC consultation would probably help too. Sending you :hug: and congratulations on your little girl.

alexmommy
01-18-2010, 08:41 PM
I think 10% weight loss is acceptable. If I remember correctly, the goal is to regain birthweight by two weeks.

For me the first three weeks of BFing hurt--and I didn't have nipples issues. Getting a good latch is super-important--try to see someone (LLL, LC) IRL soon. I remember at some feedings having to unattach and then reattach DS several times per feeding those first few weeks. He'd get mad but then try again.

It seems like almost all my friends who had c-sections had to supplement. The one who didn't pumped a lot at first and BF frequently to get her supply up. Don't know if there is a connection (c-sections & supplementing) but it doesn't have to be inevitable.

Now, at 8 months DS is a great BFer and has been since about 3-4 weeks. It doesn't hurt at all anymore (except now that he has teeth, but he rarely bites). Hang in there. And if you end up needing to supplement, it's ok, your LO will be healthy and you are still a good mommy. :hug5:

Katigre
01-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Up to 10% weight loss is normal in a newborn.

You need a new Ped asap b/c you need bf'ing support.

Call LLL tonight - they have people who are trained and volunteer their time. They will talk to you and help you. http://www.llli.org/WebUS.html

Go to the store (send someone else so you don't have to move much) and get Soothies (they will help your nipples). You can also get nipple shields but beware that they can be very helpful but also have downsides, I wouldn' t use them without the help of a LC so you can wean from them eventually.

Beware of the sleepy baby - it is very possible that the baby is getting so sleepy b/c of not eating enough (and then is harder to rouse to feed). It is a hard cycle to break and you probably need some help since your nipples are in such bad shape.

Here is a site with some basic help: Breastfeeding help (http://www.breastfeedingmadesimple.com/Challenges-home.html) Check out the Latch videos in particular.

Hang in there! It gets soooooooo much better.

ThreeofUs
01-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Congratulations on your little one!

ITA: call LLL and get a recommendation for a different pediatrician. I used soothies and can attest to their heavenliness.

I also had an emergency C and remember how extremely hard it was the first couple of months. Laboring through to an emergency C is a recipe for wearing out your body in massive ways. I didn't realize how very weak I was and how that affected my mothering. Not that you have the same situation, but think about whether you need more help.

FWIW, we were separated for a week - me in maternal ICU pumping and him in NICU - so we were basically ff and expressed breast milk feeding when we got home. I didn't know *how* to bf, frankly, and I needed tons of help and support. I had pp doulas coming in, LLL, and lactaction consultant visits - and I needed ALLLL of it. By two weeks at home, we were bfing with the only problem being sore nipples. And that got better very quickly as DS1 figured out how to nurse.

You can do it. It will take support. You might have to ff or supplement for a while to make it happen, but you can do it!

GL!

newg
01-18-2010, 08:55 PM
I used a nipple shield with DD because of latch issues (she was six weeks early and had very weak latch)......................the fact that you are trying to BF is awesome!! We had to supplement with DD as well for about the first month because she was early.....I would feed her and then while pumping DH would give her a bottle. After she regained her weight we went back to complete BF.
Like PP said, if you can find someone to help you with BF that would probably help you a ton!
Any milk you can give your DC through BF is bettern than none at all!!
Congratulations on your baby and you're doing a great job!!

LAMom
01-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Try the deep latch technique shown here. Worked like a charm for us

http://www.pumpstation.com/pumpstation/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=3228

Some videos
http://www.pumpstation.com/pumpstation/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=3229

You can explore their website, they have a lot of info. You can also call and talk to people there, they are excellent at giving advice, even if you are not local.

I had a very hard time the first week. My son had a little abnormality under his tongue, and because of that could not stick his tongue past his lips. The hospital LC said I would never breastfeed and pushed for formula. 17 months later, and he is still munching away twice a day. I keep meaning to write to her and tell her never to tell young mothers they won't be able to breastfeed.

It takes a few weeks to get used to each other. Hang in there. Make sure to rotate the nursing position, so the baby does not latch on the same place all the time. Think about your nipple as a clock face, and move baby's latch position two hours every feeding.

I highly recommend some sort of nipple cream. I used Motherlove Nipple cream, but others used Lansinoh, and it was also great. I stored it in the fridge, it was wonderful going on cold. I also had little gel nipple pads that I would freeze and put on nipples in between feedings. It really helped with the swelling and pain. ANother great tool if you have engorgement/breast tenderness is taking a baby diaper and filling it with very hot water and using as a compress. It lasts forever, longer than any other heating pads and wet warmth is wonderful. Finally, the more you expose nipples to the air, the faster they heal. So don't be afraid to let them hang out when baby is not feeding.

Also, don't be afraid to take Motrin. I expect you are on painkillers anyway post a C-Section- get ahead of the pain.

As to waking- I never woke my son for feeding. Sleep is precious and rare, and you need it as much as your baby does. She might be more hungry and active if she is well rested. When he was awake, I fed on demand, which averaged about every two hours.

Good luck. And if in the end it doesn't work out, don't beat yourself up. Breastfeeding is wonderful and important, but motherhood is much much greater than that, and don't let any setbacks spoil this wonderful bonding time.

jillc
01-19-2010, 12:10 AM
A big congrats on your baby girl!

Hang in there, Mama. The challenges you are encountering are *very normal* for the first few weeks. Don't quit now if breastfeeding is important to you. Once you get through the first month or so and get all the "kinks" worked out, it is soo much easier! Really.

I wholeheartedly agree that you should call an IBCLC tomorrow, and see if she'll do a home visit. You and your DD need to get the latch corrected ASAP to get your nipples healed. If you don't like the first one, try someone else until you find someone you "click" with.

I had two c-sections (one unplanned), and had many of the same challenges that you describe, bleeding nipples and all. Luckily, I found a wonderful IBCLC, and she "fixed" everything for me! By implementing her tips and her helping me latch & unlatch DS for about an hour, things improved dramatically in a few days. One tip she had for me was to pump every other feeding and feed it to the baby by bottle for a day, to give my nipples a break. Also, I only nurse from one side per feeding (alternating), so only one nipple was getting "disturbed" per feeding. Helpful in times of cracked/bleeding nipples. I know there are many people who nurse from both sides at each feeding and many people that nurse from just one side per feeding, alternating sides. With either strategy, your supply will adjust based upon demand. In the early days, I could pump 5+ ounces from just one side.

My IBCLC also gave me some water-based wound healing pads, similar to Soothies, which did wonders in healing traumatized nipples!

Hardly anyone I know who had c-sections has used formula, so don't let that idea get in your head. Most of my friends have successfully breastfed, regardless of the type of delivery, and most of us have relied on an IBCLC. I really think that is key!

I agree that you might want to look for a more breastfeeding friendly pediatrician. That weight loss sounds pretty normal, and formula might have a negative impact on your supply, especially if you're not pumping everytime you give your baby a bottle of formula. I'd just nurse a lot. My babies both nursed about every 90 minutes for the first few weeks, give or take 20 minutes. I'd continue to wake her during the night for feedings, for about the first three weeks or until she has reached her birth weight.

Your IBCLC will likely have recommendations of breastfeeding friendly pediatricians, too!

Best of luck, and hang in there!
Jill

crazye
01-19-2010, 12:19 AM
Except the c-section I had a similar experience post birth. I did end up supplementing which I was not pleased with as well as scheduled feedings (not fun but doable). I'd recommend seeing an LC again (maybe a different one) and working on several different holds. What worked for us was reverse cradle until DD was a little bit older and I got more used to latching her on. After saying that I was in toe curling pain for 2 full weeks post birth (including cracked nips) before starting to heal. I used Ameda ComfortGel pads 24/7.

This time around I won't fall so easily to the ped's push for formula. Not that there's anything wrong with it but it's not right for ME. So knowing better, I'd rather pump and supplement BM via SNS or dropper as well as latching baby on frequently. You can ask for either of those things from the LC so that they can best explain it all to you. But that way if you don't want baby to have any formula you can hopefully avoid that.

As for waking the baby you only really need to wake her enough to get her to latch well. We did have to wake her every 2 hours round the clock until almost a week PP in order to regain her birth weight. I had daily weight checks and at least 2 visits with the LC after being released from the hospital in addition to LC visits multiple times per day in the hospital. We did cool washcloths. I'd go get DD stripped down while DH would get cool washclothes and help me keep her awake long enough to latch on well. Then she'd nurse and sleep at the same time. I was told to always offer both boobs so then DH would have to wait around for her to finish (she was a slow and strong nurser) the first boob, rewet the washcloth to wake her enough to latch again, etc. Then after that, my mom would take her to give her 1oz of formula and I'd go back to bed so that we could start it all again. Every 2 hours round the clock. But it worked esp since my mom stayed with us until I was given the OK to let DD wake me when she was hungry overnight instead of scheduled feedings.

firsttimemama
01-19-2010, 07:03 AM
congrats on your new baby! I had similar birth experience & wanted to say - you can do this! I did! I had a c-sec & was determined to nurse & I did. typing quickly so as not to wake my son:
-get a new ped - mine is so supportive of bf she has LC on staff
-call la leche league now!!!! local group.
-soothies
-it is safe to bf even with bleeding nips
-it is normal to want to quit when it's this hard but it's going to get better. if you get help, it will start to get better
-consider weaning off formula,consider SNS/dropper/expressed BM
-yes wake baby up - at least for another week, maybe 2
-call in every favor/support you have and try to do not much besides BF and sleep

mousemom
01-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Congrats on your new baby! I had a very difficult time betting started with breastfeeding, so I understand how you feel. I felt like I was in constant pain for weeks. The biggest help was to find a wonderful local IBCLC. I visted her in the office once and then she visited me at home once. She helped with latching techniques and also diagnosed my thrush, which was causing much of my pain. She also offered daily weight checks in her office, if I wanted them.

The only way I kept going in those early days was to set short term goals for myself - get through one more day, one more week. I kept telling myself that every day that I breast fed was a gift to DS and that I didn't have to keep doing it long-term. For us, things really turned around at about 9 weeks and DS has been nursing since then. I'm so happy I kept going through the pain, as the nursing relationship really is something special and unique. Good luck!

MCsMom
01-19-2010, 03:23 PM
CONGRATS!

Hang in there Mama! Just to reiterate, it is normal for newborns to lose about 10% of their birth weight. I know, I freaked a little too.

Your situation is so similar to mine when I started BF-ing DD. She could not latch properly from the get-go. I worked really hard with my 2 LC's, who were really helpful, especially when I went back and got an appointment a few days after going home. It was extremely painful for me and even at the hospital, DD was having such a hard time, I had to pump colostrum and feed her with a syringe because we weren't sure she was getting enough.

Tylenol (after I got the OK) and Lansinoh ointment were my friends. I also had the bleeding, cracking, bumps, aching... you name it. Never tried nipple shields. I remember quite clearly that it was 2 months to the day when it got much better.

I did wake her to eat the first 2 weeks just to make sure. I think they need to be fed no LESS than every 4 hours (6 times a day) but I tried my darndest to get more feedings than that because it was better to get 8 feeds in.

We are still nursing and DD shows no signs of stopping but we are down to 2, sometimes 3 feeds a day.

Our ped is very pro-BF which was great but I still call my LC's whenever I need to know something.

The best thing I was told by one of my LC's was BF-ing is like learning to drive. It is difficult but when you decide to do it, you will learn and your body will respond in kind.

Hoping for the best for you and please find an LC ASAP!

PM me if you need some encouragement! BTDT :hug:

fedoragirl
01-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you...for all the encouragement and good advice. I took it and went to see a LC, and she really validated me and my beliefs in BF, and taught me a lot. I rented a hospital grade pump and will try to pump and BF. I feel so much better and will keep trying. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel especially when so many of you have had similar experiences.
I also plan to go to our local LLL meeting next month.
And my 1 week old DD has gained 5 oz. in 3 days, so yay! And we did switch our ped. but stayed with the same practice.
Thank you again.

newg
01-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Glad to see things are starting to turn the corner for you!

Good job momma!!