PDA

View Full Version : CL duplo score--How to clean them?

DrSally
01-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Well, Sunday I drove about 30 min to find out the advertised "duplos", were actually quatros. I passed. Then, last night, I saw an ad for duplos in which she just gave the dimensions of the box. I asked her to guestimate how many were in there, and she said prob 800-1000, incl. base plates, cars, people, etc. for $30! I asked her to hold them for me and drove 40 min to get them this afternoon. Other than specific sets, this is all the duplos we will ever need.

They are very, very grimey. I have them soaking in the laundry sink with hot, soapy water. Before I attack them with a toothbrush, is there an easier way? Can I put them in batches in lingere bags and in the dishwasher (top rack)? Will that warp them?

Also, a few are duplo size but labelled "mega bloks". These are knock offs, right? It's only prob 15% of the blocks, and I got such a great deal, I'm not complaining.

vludmilla
01-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Mega Bloks are just a different brand, don't know if I'd call them knockoffs, per se.

I might add some vinegar to the water. I'd be concerned about the drying cycle in the dishwasher but maybe if you took them out before that. You could do a trial with two or three blocks in the dishwasher and see how they turn out.

MamaKath
01-18-2010, 11:11 PM
If you have a front loader, I would use that with bleach in the water. A big mesh laundry bag works well to hold them and then you just throw them in the washing machine. Lay in the sun to dry.

There are a bunch of threads in the Around the House forum if you search regarding cleaning duplos/megablocks/legos. Awesome deal!!!

DrSally
01-18-2010, 11:43 PM
If you have a front loader, I would use that with bleach in the water. A big mesh laundry bag works well to hold them and then you just throw them in the washing machine. Lay in the sun to dry.

There are a bunch of threads in the Around the House forum if you search regarding cleaning duplos/megablocks/legos. Awesome deal!!!

Thanks! Why didn't I think of that. I was so excited, I thought I was the first person to ask this question :D

This lego thing is all new to me. I am up to my arms in legos. I do have a front loader and can put them in. I agree with the bleach to sanitize. Maybe I'll take the decorated pieces out. I wonder if I should do a low/no spin cycle. I wonder if I should throw some towels in too to cushion them. I wish it was nice out so I could dry them in the sun. The lego website says to not put them in the dishwasher or clothes washer. There's prob a big difference btwn a washer with an agitator and a front loader though.

Tondi G
01-19-2010, 12:18 AM
you could just put them in the bathtub with HOT water and some bleach to sanitize. If they soak long enough it should get them pretty clean. knowing me I would probably end up getting in there with a toothbrush or something too!

DrSally
01-19-2010, 12:50 AM
They're in 3 separate mesh bags in the front loader, on the "hand wash" cycle, warm right now. I put in a bit of detergent and some bleach. I have all the towels laid out so I can spread them out to dry.

Funny, in addition to the requisite lint/stray hair, this is what was at the bottom of the bucket-o-legos: a dead bee (freaked DS out), a small stone carved elephant, a small sea shell.

MontrealMum
01-19-2010, 01:36 AM
Agreeing with MamaKath on how to clean them. We've done that a number of times.

Just as a warning, we've started Duplos for DS and SIL dumped a number of small MegaBloks on us, saying that they were Duplo. They aren't. Ours did not come with a bee ;) They are clearly marked MegaBloks, and they don't fit with the Duplo. They also don't fit with our other MegaBloks which are large. For some this isn't a biggie, but our house is supersmall and we're trying to limit things. Oh, they're the same size, and appear to fit, but they don't "lock" properly so you put two pieces together, go to move them, and one falls off - over and over. Maybe it's because they're older and the Duplo is newer, I don't know, but if you have two different brands going there I'd keep them separate until you can tell if they lock nicely, otherwise you're going to have a frustrated DC.

deborah_r
01-19-2010, 03:59 AM
I can tell you that boiling them does not work.

I was very sleep-deprived, boiling pump parts, and decided to throw in the thrift store Legos DH had brought home. Bad idea. Kind of cool in a Dali-esque kind of way.

DrSally
01-19-2010, 02:28 PM
I did wash them last night in the front loader. I switched from "hand wash" cycle to "normal", since the former wasn't moving them around very much. They turned out really nice and clean. I was a little disappointed that there were mega bloks (prob about 35%) included, since it was advertised as "duplo blocks". I usually verify that they are, indeed, lego brand blocks. BUT, I got such a fantastic deal, that even if I exclude the mega bloks, it's still worth it. These blocks appear to be well played with, and while the legos are somewhat scratched, the megabloks appear thinner on the locking parts and kind of ragged/jagged on those locking dots. I like buying real legos b/c of their quality/safety record.

In any case, these appear to lock pretty well. I wonder if it's b/c they appear to be the same age. I won't have any problem throwing, isolating or getting rid of the megabloks that don't lock or are just to frayed/jagged on top though.

The bathtub is a good idea if you don't have a front loader, but the front loader worked so well. Got them relatively water free, too (they weren't dripping with water like they would've right out of the tub).