PDA

View Full Version : new seat for baby or dd1?

doberbrat
01-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Piglet is gaining 1lb a week so I'm thinking about this sooner than later. I want to take advantage of the feb britax sales if thats what I'm doing. She's 6w and ~12lbs She's in a babytrend latchloc (rigid) 22lb limit.

dd1 is in a blvd that expires in 5/12. (2.5yrs left) 33lb rf limit. She's 4yrs, 43in tall and 36lbs.

do I get a Frontier for dd1 and pass down her blvd? or get something new for Piglet?

my concern is that I rf dd1 to 3yrs (33lbs). I turned her b/c her marathon was expiring and I bought a frontier for dh's car. if I'm handing down the blvd, it means I'd be buying a new seat most likely ff only when Piglet's 2.5yrs IF she doesnt surpass the 33lb weight limit before then.

if buying new for Piglet, I was going to think about a trufit or something else but the diff in $$ between a trufit & sale marathon on albee isnt enough to bother (esp since I love purple).

or shoudl I just wait till Piglets closer to 20lbs and decide then? its a bummer b/c dd1 was a slow gainer and was in her infant seat till 1yr-I thought I had more time.

jjordan
01-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Maybe buy something like a radian for dd1 and pass the bv down to the baby. Then when the bv expires, give the radian to the baby and get a booster for dd1 to replace it.

jackyl08
01-19-2010, 02:01 PM
I like the pp idea. It just seems to me that buying a new seat for Piglet seems to be not the most economical way to go. Buying DD1 a Frontier and passing the Blvd down makes more sense to me. Are you comfortable turning at 2.5? If so, you could get older DD a Frontier, pass it down when the Blvd expires and get a dedicated booster for older DD then.

KrisM
01-19-2010, 02:35 PM
How much longer until your older one outgrows the Boulevard? My DS was around 43-44 inches when his shoulders passed the top slots. If she's getting close, I would definitely buy her the new seat. I do like the buying a Radian idea, since it would get you another year or 2 use after the Boulevard for your oldest and then your younger could use it for a long time.

doberbrat
01-19-2010, 05:34 PM
How much longer until your older one outgrows the Boulevard? My DS was around 43-44 inches when his shoulders passed the top slots. If she's getting close, I would definitely buy her the new seat. I do like the buying a Radian idea, since it would get you another year or 2 use after the Boulevard for your oldest and then your younger could use it for a long time.

duh, why didnt I think of this??? no idea. She's all legs but at some point she will outgrow it. How do I tell, just crank the harness up as tall as it goes and see how much space she has???

jjordan
01-19-2010, 05:37 PM
duh, why didnt I think of this??? no idea. She's all legs but at some point she will outgrow it. How do I tell, just crank the harness up as tall as it goes and see how much space she has???

Or you can sit her on the floor against a wall and measure how far up her shoulder hits the wall. Kids usually reach the top harness position of the boulevard when their shoulders are around 16" - 16.5" high. (It does vary because they sit in the seat a little differently than they sit on the floor.) But, that would give you some idea of how much growing room she has, and it would be easier than taking her out to the car and cranking the harness all the way up!