PDA

View Full Version : best time to buy nursing bras?

michellerw
01-19-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm 34 weeks pregnant and I am past the point of being able to wear any of my bras. I am large chested and have resorted to tank tops for the past week; it's really not pretty. (Not that anything else about being 34 weeks pregnant is pretty either.)

So is it ok to go ahead and buy the nursing bras at this point? My other concern is that I have these horrible, uncomfortable awful knots in my shoulders that are so bad that I've been pushing my bra and tank top straps off my shoulders for two weeks now because everything hits in the wrong place. Is this going to make it harder to find a good-fitting bra?

I started my pregnancy as a 38F/DDD, have outgrown 40E/DDDs and am most likely in the 42E/DDD range now. Is it even likely that I can get into a Bravado bra or should I try an Anita or another brand? (I usually wear Fantasie or Anita.)

newg
01-19-2010, 09:48 PM
I bought one nursing bra while still pregnant........right around 30 weeks. I went to a bra shop that measured me and helped me pick the right type of bra...................I ended up needing bigger bras after my milk came in after DD was born.......so I went out again and bought a few more.
Macys and Nordstroms should have the right staff that could help you out.

my first nursing bra was an anita and I loved it..........the ones I used during my BF were madela and those were comfortable too.

SnuggleBuggles
01-19-2010, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't buy one yet because your size will change yet again when your milk comes in, which happens about 2-5 days postpartum.

For me I wore a larger size bra during my first 3-4 months of nursing then my size went down again.

You will get a better fit and a bra that will make more sense for you if you wait till after your milk is in.

Beth

zukeypur
01-19-2010, 09:55 PM
If I were you I would buy one bra now. That way if it works later on, you can still use it. If it doesn't work, at least you only bought one. I bought 2 bravado body silks at around 26 weeks that I'm still wearing now 1 month after delivering. I found one at a consignment sale and got the other at a great discount from a friend who was closing her store, otherwise I would have only bought one.

Dr C
01-19-2010, 10:00 PM
I think I'd buy just one decent quality bra that will keep you comfortable for the next six weeks--it sounds like you're miserable and if you keep going without one it's going to be a LOOOOONGGGG six weeks. Yeah, it may not fit in the immediate postpartum phase when you're engorged, but it might just fit after 3-4 months as your boobs get a little bit smaller. And if it doesn't fit at that point because after all that nursing you're so much skinnier than you were pregnant... well... that cloud would certainly have a silver lining, right?

FWIW I found the motherhood bras to be inexpensive and tolerable... nothing fantastic, mind you, but they're better than the tank top you're describing.

DebbieJ
01-19-2010, 11:23 PM
I would buy one now to get you through and then wait about a month after delivering and get sized.

Given your size, I would stay away from Bravado. I don't find them very supportive. I am 38DDD right now and just bought an Elle McPherson bra from Breakout Bras that is FANTASTIC! Wayyyy better than this Bravado Body Silk I was wearing.

salsah
01-20-2010, 01:55 AM
buy a sleep bra now (to wear to sleep and during the day) and then wait until a couple of weeks after you deliver to get a day bra. your size will change after you milk comes in. a sleep bra will accommodate the change (while a day bra needs to fit perfectly). look for a store that has lactation consultants do the fittings. i found one at a hospital. when you go for your fitting, go just before you feed the baby (so that your breasts are full).

salsah
01-20-2010, 01:57 AM
oh, i forgot:

i was an H cup while nursing and loved these bras:

sleep bra (http://www.bravadodesigns.com/product.asp?ID=3&area=US)

day bra (http://www.bravadodesigns.com/product.asp?ID=4&area=US)

MontrealMum
01-20-2010, 02:41 AM
At that size I would buy one bra now to get you through, with the idea that you'll buy a few more after the birth. You'll be a different size then, probably bigger, if you decide to breastfeed. Pregnancy and nursing brought all sorts of new and exciting bra sizes to my life (I will fully admit, I was not happy about it, and still am not), but on the larger end of the scale you will need support throughout. I also liked having tanks or shelf bras to sleep in after giving birth (I was a 32G/H for quite a few months). I won't link because I am in Canada and the brand I bought (for sleeping) is not available in the US. I did wear Bravada for daytime, but I also don't think they fit that well, though they do go up into the larger sizes. Fit is VERY important. If I had it to do over I think I'd check out Anita which really seems to fit larger cup women well, based on what I've read here.

DebbieJ
01-20-2010, 10:16 AM
I also liked having tanks or shelf bras to sleep in after giving birth (I was a 32G/H for quite a few months).

Yes. I bought a nursing tank from Target that I wear every night. Makes nighttime nursing easier and it has a little bit of support.

michellerw
01-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the advice. I bought two bras at Motherhood (god I hate that place) at lunch today. 44E. If they weren't so much more comfortable than all of the alternatives right now, I'd cry just at the size.

Andi98989
01-20-2010, 02:05 PM
I started out as a 32G; by 20 weeks I was in desperate need of a new bra. I went to our local breastfeeding store and they got me set up with a Medela bra that was a 38H. That got me through the end of my pregnancy quite nicely. My options for buying bras in the store pre-pregnancy were basically non-existent (I actually have driven 3 hours to an Intimacy store in Chicago to get fit and actually have bras to be able to try on), so getting a nursing bra was really my only option.

After baby, I waited a couple of weeks for things to settle down and even out. Then I took my measurements using the instructions on breakoutbras.com. I came up with a 32M!!! EEEEEEKKK. I emailed their sizing people with the measurements, told them about the bra I was currently wearing, and actually sent in some pictures of it so that they could see how it was fitting. They were great to email with and recommended that I get a 34J. I ordered a Goddess bra from them in that size and it is fabulous. It doesn't have underwire, but it is seriously the most supportive bra that I've ever owned. I'm getting ready to order another one from them.

michellerw
01-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks, Andi. Now that I have something to tide me over, I'll probably go the breakoutbras route. I've been dealing with them for a couple of years (when I don't buy locally) and I'm pleased with both their sizing and style recommendations. I trust that they'll be able to help me with my need for good support, etc. I bought underwires today, but I don't know if I'll be able to wear them long term, which is obviously another concern they'll be able to help me out with.

zukeypur
01-20-2010, 03:24 PM
My biggest problem is finding one with just a small bit of padding. The pretty bras are nice, but what's the point of having a pretty lace bra when you can see the nursing pad underneath?

salsah
01-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Fit is VERY important. If I had it to do over I think I'd check out Anita which really seems to fit larger cup women well, based on what I've read here.

yes, when i was researching, anita was the most recommend. but since every body is different, they didn't work well for me. the bravado fit me better and offered the most support. i tried other brands too but bravado was the only one that worked for me. the two clasps were annoying but the fit and support was worth it.

definitely try them on before you buy or order from a place with a good return policy.

michellerw
01-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Just based on my experience with non-nursing bras, Anita seems to work well for short waisted, large chested women. One of my problems is that the underwire or even just the whole "support area" tends to be too long in a lot of bras. It comes way too far up under my arms and starts too low. That's why the Fantasie of England bras usually work pretty well for me in their demi cup styles -- I can't wear Chantelle or Wacoal bras at all.

It's gotten to the point where I can usually look at a style and tell if it has potential, just based on my experiences in fitting rooms, but this has taken years of trial and error working with people who fit bras for a living. Anita bras seem to, on average, just work well for me.

Andi98989
01-20-2010, 05:19 PM
I have good luck with the Fantasie and Freya bras and can't wear Chantelle at all. :)

I long for the day when I can wear one of my nice looking bras again!

viba424
01-20-2010, 07:54 PM
I am currently two days overdue and I swear my boobs are the same size as they were 9 months ago. Booooo. I got some Medelas and Bravados in a bigger size and hope the ol girls dont blow up too much. I am a B and not much over and cant imagine myself knocking around in DD next week. We'll see. Ive researched bras as much as I can and I tell you they are all ugly on me! And the tanks? Forget it. I look boobless. Eck!

newg
01-20-2010, 09:43 PM
I am currently two days overdue and I swear my boobs are the same size as they were 9 months ago. Booooo. I got some Medelas and Bravados in a bigger size and hope the ol girls dont blow up too much. I am a B and not much over and cant imagine myself knocking around in DD next week. We'll see. Ive researched bras as much as I can and I tell you they are all ugly on me! And the tanks? Forget it. I look boobless. Eck!

I was a B before DD was born...and when my milk came in I jumped up to a D!!! DH loved the new look :loveeyes: and he is quite excited to see those "special" girls again this time around!

salsah
01-21-2010, 01:29 AM

don't worry, they'll get bigger after you deliver and your milk comes in.

boltfam
01-21-2010, 09:52 AM
don't worry, they'll get bigger after you deliver and your milk comes in.

Definately! I went from a B to a DD. I've also heard they go back down, but mine never did completely.

Andi98989
01-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Definately! I went from a B to a DD. I've also heard they go back down, but mine never did completely.

I pray that these go down to what they were before I got pregnant - or smaller!! A reduction is on the agenda, but not until I know we're done having kids.

salsah
01-21-2010, 02:02 PM
it's so funny to hear people say that they can't wear chantelle at all because that is the only bra (non-nursing) that i can wear!

AnnieW625
01-21-2010, 02:46 PM
I bought one four days before I delivered at Nordstrom because I had no idea where to buy nursing bras. I ended up being sized at the hospital's maternity boutique when I was in the hospital and that was great, and took the one back to Nordstroms. I was able to go with that size and buy another nursing bra at Target that I loved, but bought two bras while I was at the boutique while still in the hopsital. I was a 34 D while pregnant with DD, and then by the time I delivered I was a 38 C (strange how things stretch!). I have been a 38 B this entire pregnancy so that's been nice so I am hoping my old ones fit, or worst case scenario I have to get a 38D, but I am not too worried. Loved the convenience of the hospital shop!