PDA

View Full Version : Travel Question

arivecchi
01-20-2010, 04:26 PM
I will probably have to travel with the kids towards the end of the month. I was planning on bringing the Scenera on the plane for the baby since it is so light and I can hang it off my Mac Triumph. I will have the baby in the Ergo, the toddler in the Mac. I was planning on checking our Radian to use at the destination since there is no way in heck I am taking the Frontier. :) However, I am scared of checking my brand new Radian and having the airline lose it or damage it. I will be travelling by myself with both kids. Should I just take the Radian and hope nothing happens? Should I just have another Scenera (I could have relatives purchase one for me) ready at my destination and leave the Radian at home?

AnnieW625
01-20-2010, 06:06 PM
I've gate checked and ticket counter checked carseats with no problem before. I do get kind of nervous when I have done it at the ticket counter before because they could not show up, but honestly when flying without any stops I have never had a problem with it.

jjordan
01-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Hmmm... how old/heavy are your kids again?

arivecchi
01-20-2010, 06:25 PM
The toddler just turned 3. He is 40 inches tall and weighs 35 pounds. The baby is turning 1 soon. He weighs about 22-23 pounds and is 30 inches tall. :)

belovedgandp
01-20-2010, 06:29 PM
I've traveled with both a Radian and Scenera. I used both in flight for my kids. I'm not familiar with the stroller you have. Both times I put the Radian in the stroller and hung the Scenera off the back of the stroller. I wore the baby in a sling while pushing this and having the 3/4 year old walk with me. We did have a hard time in one airport where I ended up strapping toddler into Radian that was balanced on the stroller. Not my safest transport ever (it fit fine was just way reclined and had the very tired 3 year old staring at the ceiling), but we got over our fit and moved on.

jjordan
01-20-2010, 06:37 PM
What would you think of getting a second strap for the radian and wearing it like a backpack? Would that be too hard to do while wearing an Ergo? (I don't have an ergo so I don't know how it would work.)

Otherwise I'd probably have someone at your destination get a scenera. I probably wouldn't want to check the radian, myself.

arivecchi
01-20-2010, 06:42 PM
I cannot wear it as a backpack b/c (a) I will have my Baby Sherpa backpack on and (b) I think I might die carrying the babe in the front and the Radian in the back. :hysterical: It also seems like more gear than I can handle while taking care of the two kiddos by myself. I think I will just have them buy a Scenera and leave my Radian safe and sound at home. What is the Scenera's RFing weight limit? 35 #s?

jjordan
01-20-2010, 06:48 PM
I cannot wear it as a backpack b/c (a) I will have my Baby Sherpa backpack on and (b) I think I might die carrying the babe in the front and the Radian in the back. :hysterical: It also seems like more gear than I can handle while taking care of the two kiddos by myself. I think I will just have them buy a Scenera and leave my Radian safe and sound at home. What is the Scenera's RFing weight limit? 35 #s?

Yup, 35#'s.

arivecchi
01-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks JJordan. You should be a tech. :D

elektra
01-20-2010, 08:42 PM
I would just have them get you a Scenera.
Reasons-
There is no way I would check the radian unless I had some kind of bag, and for the price of the bag, you could finance a good portion of the Scenera and then you wouldn't have to lug the Radian.
It's probably going to be easier to install than the Radian.
If you visit frequently, you will already have the seat there for them.
If they get airsick or carsick, you won't have barf all over your awesome seat.
The Radian is frickin' heavy.
One less baby gear item to lug solo.
ETA: I forgot about the checked baggage fees too. Another reason not to check anything extra.

arivecchi
01-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Reasons-
There is no way I would check the radian unless I had some kind of bag, and for the price of the bag, you could finance a good portion of the Scenera and then you wouldn't have to lug the Radian.
It's probably going to be easier to install than the Radian.
If you visit frequently, you will already have the seat there for them.
If they get airsick or carsick, you won't have barf all over your awesome seat.
The Radian is frickin' heavy.
One less baby gear item to lug solo.
ETA: I forgot about the checked baggage fees too. Another reason not to check anything extra. Thanks. ITA. I do have a car seat bag but it was for the Blvd, so it is way wider. The Radian would be swimming in it and would probably get banged up.

mom2binsd
01-20-2010, 11:05 PM

ETA: I forgot about the checked baggage fees too. Another reason not to check anything extra.

Airlines do not charge for car seats checked- yet....

niccig
01-21-2010, 03:31 AM
Does your eldest fit FF in the scenera? He's at the weight limit for RF, so can't do that. Your DS is 1" shorter than my DS, but my DS has very short torso. I'm not sure my DS's torso would be under the top harness height. Last time I checked my DS was close to outgrowing our Upton and that has taller slots than the Scenera.

You have a scenera, so try him in it. If he fits, great. If not, I would check the car seat with lots of coats in the car seat bag as padding. Like you I prefer to not check a car seat, but you do have a lot to deal with on your own.

egoldber
01-21-2010, 08:04 AM
I have checked a carseat many times and never had a problem. But you need to do what you are comfortable with.

arivecchi
01-21-2010, 12:14 PM
I did check my old Blvd twice and it was ok. I think I will do what Niccig suggested. I will try DS1 in the Scenera and see if he fits FFing. He is 40 inches tall but is mostly legs. I just need one inch above his head right? If not, I guess I will take the Radian and pack it up with coats or blankets. And yes, I've never been charged for checking a car seat.

o_mom
01-21-2010, 01:08 PM
I did check my old Blvd twice and it was ok. I think I will do what Niccig suggested. I will try DS1 in the Scenera and see if he fits FFing. He is 40 inches tall but is mostly legs. I just need one inch above his head right? If not, I guess I will take the Radian and pack it up with coats or blankets. And yes, I've never been charged for checking a car seat.

Forward facing shoulders below the straps and tops of the ears below the top of the seat. A Safety1st Uptown/Avenue would be another option - I saw them at BigLots for $65, so not much more than a Scenera. It is almost as light, but taller top harness slot. ETA: depending on how soon you need it, the Evenflo Maestro would certainly fit and is only 10 lbs according to the folks at www.car-seat.org (http://www.car-seat.org). It is $75-80.

arivecchi
01-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Forward facing shoulders below the straps and tops of the ears below the top of the seat. A Safety1st Uptown/Avenue would be another option - I saw them at BigLots for $65, so not much more than a Scenera. It is almost as light, but taller top harness slot. Thanks! I don't have any BigLots near me. :(

elektra
01-21-2010, 01:55 PM
I like the avenue better than the scenera, FYI.

niccig
01-21-2010, 03:07 PM

My concern with the scenera is that his shoulders might be over the top slots, so he can't use it. It will depend on his torso height. My DS is short torsoed too. You DS could be fine. Install it FF in the car and then check. If you have him sit in it in the house, it might look fine, but when you install it, it might not be - it happens sometimes with seats, that after you install the seat, you child has less torso room than what you would think - it's a mystery why this happens...

jjordan
01-21-2010, 03:34 PM
I like the idea of having them get a maestro at your destination rather than another scenera!

arivecchi
01-21-2010, 03:49 PM
This is officially giving me a headache now. LOL!