PDA

View Full Version : Traveling internationally (going to Japan)

supercalifragilous
01-20-2010, 11:32 PM
DD is almost 7, tall for her age, and weighs about 65 lbs. She normally rides in a SafeGuard carseat but I also have a Sunshine Monterey as a spare/carpool seat.

We're planning on going to Japan in May. We'll be on the bullet train, a transfer plane, taxis, buses, and finally a relative's car (basically all modes of transportation short of a bike). At the very least, I know we'll need a carseat/booster for the car ride. I am NOT okay with her riding backless but the Sunshine Monterey isn't very portable with the back with all the traveling we'll be doing.

I'm probably now on the market for another booster. The Compass was on the list of boosters NOT to buy, so I'm steering clear of that one. Price isn't an issue when it comes to DD's safety, so please recommend away! When we get home, we'll probably just permanently place this new booster in my best friend's car.

longtallsally05
01-21-2010, 03:58 AM
No solution, but I used to live there so I have a couple of ideas for you.

You might want to consider buying a booster while you are in Japan; after all, the car seats for sale there are designed for the cars in that market and it would certainly be easier than trying to check a high backed booster on the airplane. Toys R Us sells car seats in Japan, and so do large department stores. However, I don't know how easy it would be to find exactly what you are looking for; most people don't put their kids in car seats, much less booster seats. I know, it freaked me out to see kids roaming all over their cars while parents drove down the road.

I think taking your backless booster is probably your best bet. If you are using planes, trains and buses, you can't use anything except a harnessed seat anyway because those only have lap belts. You could probably check a backless booster in your luggage and just pull it out for that occasional car ride. People don't drive very fast in Japan anyway (it's practically impossible), so you don't have as much to worry about (ie horrific car crashes) as you would if your child were riding around the US.

Have a great trip!

o_mom
01-21-2010, 10:08 AM
How about a RideSafer Travel Vest?