PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Uppababy Vista or Bob Revolution or other?

RG's Mom
01-21-2010, 01:16 AM
We live in downtown Vancouver (Canada) and currently have a 2009 Vista that we are using with our 8 month old DS. While we are generally happy with the stroller, we do have some issues with it. Until a couple of weeks ago our major issue was the width of the stroller because the rear wheels feel like they should be closer to the frame and so we are too frequently banging corners/doors/elevators/etc. The width is also a problem in stores but we tend to use our Peg Perego Si for store shopping precisely for this reason so we cannot justify buying a new stroller because of the width alone.

The problem is that our DS has recently started sitting upright in the seat instead of leaning back. He will do this for the duration of the walk (usually 45-60 minutes). It worries us that his back is not being supported on bumpy sidewalks and on the seawall (brick-like surface), so we are considering other stroller options.

Having placed DS in a 2010 Vista, I feel that it offers a much better seated position for him. I also like the extra seat height because our son is above the 97th percentile for height. But I am finding it hard to justify the big price tag of a second Vista since we no longer need a stroller to have a basinett or a rear-facing seat (both of which were fantastic!). I am also disappointed that the width of the stroller has not changed for 2010.

We are thinking that we may be better off buying a Bob Revolution or some other stroller that is cheaper and narrower than the Vista. Does anyone know if the seat on the Revolution is fully upright? It is such a different stroller than the Vista that we would really love some feedback from parents who considered both or have both. If we had the Revolution we would use it for jogging sometimes, but the primarly reason we would be buying a new stroller is for walks. We do not have space for three strollers so if we buy a new stroller the 2009 Vista has to go.

Also, how long do most kids like to be in a stroller? We are wondering how much use we will get from a new stroller once DS is walking. If he will want to be in and out of the stroller on long walks, is it easier to use the Si or a full size stroller?

Thanks!

sweetsoul99
01-21-2010, 04:17 AM
We own a Bob Rev Duallie, and tried the Vista in the store. The Bob's seat seems to be slightly more upright than the vista, but still rather slouchy. I believe it may even be 2 inches narrower than the vista. I would definately try one out with DS and see how he likes the uprightness. If you really are considering doing regular jogs, I would really consider the BOB. Baby Jogger Elite is a great walking stroller, but it wouldn't help your slouching problem. Browse through strollerqueens stroller review blog
http://www.strollerqueenreviews.blogspot.com (http://www.strollerqueenreviews.blogspot.com/)/, I know I've seen some fun all-terrain strollers there.

Unless you only walk on sidewalks, I wouldn't consider using the Si for long walks. How long they use the stroller depends on each child and how long you want to go for walks. We go for 2 types of walks. One where I let DD1 go at her own pace and check things out (she's quite the doddler), and the other are my "power walks" or where we walk to the park. My friends son who is 3.5 can now keep up pretty well on his bike.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

arivecchi
01-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Bob strollers are not good for tall children. My toddler has not fit in one since he was 2.5 yrs old. They are also wide. If you have a tall child, I would look at a Mac Techno (no air tires but small frame and upright position), a BJCE, a BJCC, or a Valco Trimode. The seats in my BJCCD sit very straight and both BJ and Valco Trimode have tall seatbacks. The BJCE, the BJCC and the Valco are wide though - similar to the Vista I would imagine.

jacksmoma
01-21-2010, 12:55 PM
i had a bob and the seat was SUPER short and much more leaned back than the vista. DO NOT get a bob if those are important to you! trust me. baby joggers do sit up more upright and the elite is a super padded very supportive seat- i added my own extra board inside the seat back pocket (used an old xmas box!) and now the seat does not "give" as much when my 8 month old or 2 year old lean back on it. althought the elite is quite wide as a single...any stroller that has air tires tend to be wide so you may have to compromise either air tires or something more narrow :( sorry i can't be more help!

MamaMolly
01-21-2010, 12:58 PM
I've been debating the Vista and the BJCE. Last week I was able to put DD (3.3 years old, and in the lower range of height) in the Vista and her head touched the shade. The store didn't have any BJCEs in stock so I couldn't compare, but thought I'd share.

jacksmoma
01-21-2010, 01:00 PM
the bjce would be way better for an older (3 year old) toddler, tons of headroom and legroom :) my tall 2 year old looks tiny in our bjced!

mammolly- are you getting a double or a single? is your 3 year old able to walk all on his own and stay with you when out and about? just wondering as i'm thinking we'll sell our bjced when my 2 year old hits 3ish...

PeppyParents
01-21-2010, 01:23 PM
We live in downtown Vancouver (Canada) and currently have a 2009 Vista that we are using with our 8 month old DS. While we are generally happy with the stroller, we do have some issues with it. Until a couple of weeks ago our major issue was the width of the stroller because the rear wheels feel like they should be closer to the frame and so we are too frequently banging corners/doors/elevators/etc. The width is also a problem in stores but we tend to use our Peg Perego Si for store shopping precisely for this reason so we cannot justify buying a new stroller because of the width alone.

The problem is that our DS has recently started sitting upright in the seat instead of leaning back. He will do this for the duration of the walk (usually 45-60 minutes). It worries us that his back is not being supported on bumpy sidewalks and on the seawall (brick-like surface), so we are considering other stroller options.

Having placed DS in a 2010 Vista, I feel that it offers a much better seated position for him. I also like the extra seat height because our son is above the 97th percentile for height. But I am finding it hard to justify the big price tag of a second Vista since we no longer need a stroller to have a basinett or a rear-facing seat (both of which were fantastic!). I am also disappointed that the width of the stroller has not changed for 2010.

We are thinking that we may be better off buying a Bob Revolution or some other stroller that is cheaper and narrower than the Vista. Does anyone know if the seat on the Revolution is fully upright? It is such a different stroller than the Vista that we would really love some feedback from parents who considered both or have both. If we had the Revolution we would use it for jogging sometimes, but the primarly reason we would be buying a new stroller is for walks. We do not have space for three strollers so if we buy a new stroller the 2009 Vista has to go.

Also, how long do most kids like to be in a stroller? We are wondering how much use we will get from a new stroller once DS is walking. If he will want to be in and out of the stroller on long walks, is it easier to use the Si or a full size stroller?

Thanks!

Hi,

One option would be to sell the 2009 and buy the 2010 Vista for the more upright position and additional 1.5" of headroom. You'd get up to 2 more years out of it. The overall width remains at 24.5", which is not extremely wide for a full-size stroller.

The BOB Revolution is only 23" wide, and it will give you a couple more inches of headroom over the 2010 Vista, but it definitely doesn't have a more upright seat and doesn't have the bumper bar that your child is probably grabbing on the Vista.

The BJ City Elite is 26" wide (wider than the Vista), with more headroom and a fairly upright seat.

Valco Trimode would also have good seating position and headroom, but the wider width at the rear tires.

I'm wondering if you may want to consider something like the 2010 Mountain Buggy Swift, which just started shipping a couple weeks ago. It seems to be a good balance of everything you're seeking... a bit more narrow profile, rubber tires that can handle your bumpity walks, a little more headroom than the Vista, and an okay seating position. Hopefully there's a Mountain Buggy dealer in Vancouver that has one you can check out!

Hope that helps!

AnnieW625
01-21-2010, 01:43 PM
FWIW, my 3/1/2 yr. old (almost 4--in April), and who is right about 40" still sits and fits in a 2007 Vista. She won't have to sit in it much once #2 is here, but for right now she still really likes it. I've tried posting a photo before of DD in the stroller here, but it won't work. We have been very happy with our Vista and if I really needed to (which I don't) I'd have no problem replacing it with a 2010 model.

Also I have many friends with Bob Revolutions and their three and four year old toddlers still fit in them. Their children are right around average or maybe a little taller than average. I haven't tried DD in one yet, but will as it gets closer to my due date because we are definitely going to need some sort of double once #2 gets here.

arivecchi
01-21-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm wondering if you may want to consider something like the 2010 Mountain Buggy Swift, which just started shipping a couple weeks ago. It seems to be a good balance of everything you're seeking... a bit more narrow profile, rubber tires that can handle your bumpity walks, a little more headroom than the Vista, and an okay seating position.
That sounds like one nice stroller! Does it have a large canopy?

PeppyParents
01-21-2010, 09:14 PM
That sounds like one nice stroller! Does it have a large canopy?

You can see it at http://www.mountainbuggy.com/swift.htm

arivecchi
01-21-2010, 11:06 PM
You can see it at http://www.mountainbuggy.com/swift.htm Thanks. Another small canopy. For such nice strollers, I am shocked that they do not come up with better canopies!

MamaMolly
01-22-2010, 01:22 AM
the bjce would be way better for an older (3 year old) toddler, tons of headroom and legroom :) my tall 2 year old looks tiny in our bjced!

mammolly- are you getting a double or a single? is your 3 year old able to walk all on his own and stay with you when out and about? just wondering as i'm thinking we'll sell our bjced when my 2 year old hits 3ish...

I keep going back and forth on the single or double. Right now I'm leaning towards getting the BJCE in a single and then a double with a really handy fold for airports and those rare shopping excursions...today I decided the BJCMD was a good idea ;) Don't think I'll convince DH of that one!
The reason we are considering a single is because DD rarely wants to (read that as agrees to) ride, mostly we don't even bother with a stroller when we go out because it becomes more of a PITA and safety hazard for others because she wants to push it herself. I think she hasn't been in one for a few months. She's pretty good about staying with us of course with DD2 in tow who knows how DD1 will act, you know?

But I figured that DD1 would ride and I'd sling DD2 at first, then by the time DD2 really needed the stroller then DD1 would be happy to trot along side. We'll see!

jacksmoma
01-22-2010, 01:13 PM
i know how you feel...ds who is almost 2 1/2 rarely rides in strollers- he does when we go to disney about twice a month and the rare time i have energy or time to walk to the park...we mainly drive everywhere (so cal) and i just use my bjcm in my trunk which i put my 8 month old in :) toddler walks and honestly i usually want him to walk to get some energy out for naptime/bedtime! i think it's silly to have a two year old in a stroller for quick trips which is all we have time for with a 8 month old and 2 year olds schedule! sometimes i think of selling my bjced to get a much needed $500...do i keep it to be used a few times a month or sell it and get the $$??!! sometimes i think the bjce single with toddler seat or the new bj glider (toddler) board would be best for us as we 90% use a single. and to make it worse we have a narrow one car garage so if i want to use my bjced i have to move my car over to one side which is a huge pita to do so i end up not using it...what to do? i wonder....opps! i've hijacked this thread! lol sorry! :)

RG's Mom
01-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks to everyone for their responses! We obviously have a lot of strollers we need to consider! Thanks.