PDA

View Full Version : Plus Size Maternity

ewpmsw
01-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Any suggestions for places to find attractive plus-size maternity wear?:belly: I've tried the sites recommended in Your Plus Size Pregnancy and the other plus-size pregnancy book (whose name escapes me at the moment) and most of them are no longer in existence. Here are the places I am familiar with: JC Penney, Motherhood Maternity, Pickles and Ice Cream. TIA for any suggestions you have. (I have sworn off Motherhood Maternity since my last pregnancy, when they sent items I didn't order, without the ones I did order, and the customer service was a NIGHTMARE.)

Why do the people who design plus-size maternity clothing make it so frumpy and unfeminine?

MoJo
01-21-2010, 11:49 AM
No help really, but I think nearly all pregnancy clothes are designed to be uncomfortable, too tight in the wrong places, and unreasonably difficult to care for.

I'm not plus sized, but I've had the best luck with resale shops and eBay.

michellerw
01-21-2010, 12:21 PM
I am a 1x, so I was able to wear the xl shirts from Kohls, which tend to run a bit large.

In terms of buying new, I found that Penney's had the best trousers and Kohls had the best tops. There were one or two items that I loved from Motherhood (their v-neck tees and their roll up cargo pants) but I hate them so much that it physically hurts me to give them money. Target was great for sundresses and summer items.

Overall, my girlfriends were the best source of cute clothes. Older stuff from Motherhood seems to have run a bit large, so even though I'm a 1x in their clothes now, I was able to wear an XL in 3-5 year old items from there.

Fairy
01-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Honestly, I really feel that The Gap is the best maternity clothing on the planet. I agree that Gap overall has gone down in quality lately, and I haven't been pregnant in five years, but I swore by them. I still have every piece of clothing on the off chance I ever get pregnant again -- I actually miss all the outfits I had! Their prices are very reasonalbe, and they only do cute. Basics and trendy style, and they go up to XXL and Size 20 pants. I was considerably overweight when I was pregnant, and I fit into all the jeans! That's saying something. Here are some cute things:

This adorable shirt in off white is $20 bucks
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=40114&vid=1&pid=664242&scid=664242002

This trendy T is $26
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6055&vid=1&pid=707684&scid=707684002

I'd wear this not pregnant! $20
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6055&vid=1&pid=707686

So, my vote is the Gap. www.gap.com. Good luck!

zag95
01-21-2010, 11:55 PM
I used JCPenney maternity for all but 1-2 items (and then I was at the mercy of Motherhood :32:Maternity- )

I found that JCPenney was good- got many tops from them- Not only am i plus size but I'm also 6ft tall- so it was a challenge!

You might try getting some tops in a larger plus size not the maternity section (if you can) as a bit more room may be just what you need, especially as you grow.....

Hope that is helpful!

GL!

lizzywednesday
01-22-2010, 10:22 AM
I ran into this with pants ... I have long legs (need a 34" inseam minimum) and could not for the life of me find "plus" pants with that inseam length (stupid "plus" department at Motherhood only offered 32" inseams; WTF?)

So, currently I'm wearing stretchy size XL Motherhood "secret-fit-belly" full-panel jeans ... which were rated as best for people with full hips & thighs by Fit Pregnancy magazine last summer.

As for tops, Target has their new plus-size line for "Juniors" that I've found to be pretty flattering (my top is less plus-sized than my bottom) and also cute.

Lastly, I had this discussion with my BFF who is also "plus sized" and tall (she's 5'11"; I am around 5'8") and we concluded that designing plus sized maternity wear that didn't look like paper bags would earn us a fortune. Now we only have to get in touch with our friend in the fashion industry for connections!!!

boltfam
01-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Honestly, I really feel that The Gap is the best maternity clothing on the planet. I agree that Gap overall has gone down in quality lately, and I haven't been pregnant in five years, but I swore by them. I still have every piece of clothing on the off chance I ever get pregnant again -- I actually miss all the outfits I had! Their prices are very reasonalbe, and they only do cute. Basics and trendy style, and they go up to XXL and Size 20 pants. I was considerably overweight when I was pregnant, and I fit into all the jeans! That's saying something. Here are some cute things:

This adorable shirt in off white is $20 bucks
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=40114&vid=1&pid=664242&scid=664242002

This trendy T is $26
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6055&vid=1&pid=707684&scid=707684002

I'd wear this not pregnant! $20
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6055&vid=1&pid=707686

So, my vote is the Gap. www.gap.com (http://www.gap.com). Good luck!

All cute tops, and they're 20% off, too! Check the bargains section for codes. I think it's EXTRA20 for sale stuff and SPRING20 for new arrivals.

megan973
01-25-2010, 02:04 PM
I typically wear a size 18, and I've been mostly happy with items from Old Navy and Gap (which I have to order online as our local stores don't carry maternity). I've had a few returns, but the coupon codes and free shipping have made it worth it.

I just read the size reviews and try to purchase according to those.

amldaley
01-26-2010, 10:53 PM
I used JCPenney maternity for all but 1-2 items (and then I was at the mercy of Motherhood :32:Maternity- )

I found that JCPenney was good- got many tops from them- Not only am i plus size but I'm also 6ft tall- so it was a challenge!

You might try getting some tops in a larger plus size not the maternity section (if you can) as a bit more room may be just what you need, especially as you grow.....

Hope that is helpful!

GL!

:yeahthat: except I am only 5'1"...so if JCP worked for BOTH of us, that must be good!

I loved JCP's brand Duo for maternity. And 2 summers ago when I was pregnant with DD, those baby doll style smocked shirts were so popular, they worked so well. I just sized up in the shirts in the plus size dept. The Ana brand has some great shirts. (Ebay!!!)

I was just at JCP this weekend to hit their sales racks and kept seeing stuff I liked that turned out to be maternity! I was tempted to pre-shop for a pregnancy for a child that DH and I haven't even decided on yet!

I also found some random tees at Target but it is hit or miss.

For pants, I also really liked Lane Bryants modern knits line. Sooo comfy. Stretchy. Didn't even need to size up. I understand that Lane Bryant (stores, not catalogue) online also has a maternity line.

lizzywednesday
01-27-2010, 10:11 AM
For pants, I also really liked Lane Bryants modern knits line. Sooo comfy. Stretchy. Didn't even need to size up. I understand that Lane Bryant (stores, not catalogue) online also has a maternity line.

They sure as heck didn't when I looked 6 months ago!

ewpmsw
02-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback on this!!!!!

kijip
03-01-2010, 12:41 AM
I agree with Fairy. If you are plus sized in the 14-20 range, Gap is great. I wore a 12-14 with T and they were the very best. Old Navy has some stuff too. I was heavier when I started with F but so darn glad I still was well in the Gap size range because I never found anything maternity I liked at Lane Bryant etc.

Gracemom
03-05-2010, 02:22 PM
I got a few tops from Old Navy, a swimsuit and a few things from Sears, and some items from Motherhood. I also had two friends share their plus-size maternity with me, and I was lucky to find several items at a local consignment store. I have since passed them on to a plus-size first time mom. Good luck!

ewpmsw
03-07-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm totally passing my stuff on to another plus-size mom. Finding pretty things in my size (2X) has been a lot more difficult than I expected. Tee shirts and stretchy knits are not so bad, but I'd like to look pretty without the feeling like I'm wearing grandma's table cloth.

wellyes
03-07-2010, 06:19 PM
I have 4 pairs of Gap trousers from my last pregnancy which are all I can wear to work now. Very good stuff.

But - be warned - they only go to size 18 now (used to go to 20).