PDA

View Full Version : Why must you run every time?

DietCokeLover
01-21-2010, 05:16 PM
DD is 3, DS is 2. They are a handful. Very active, precocious children. I started a Bible Study at our church last week. After the study, I went to get DCs out of their classes. While walking to the car, DD takes off running in the opposite direction - toward cars. DS is playing on rocks. I have to run after DD, while DS finds a tractor type thing that the maintenance crew has left sitting on the sidewalk.

Why can't my children just walk with me? What am I doing wrong?

DD is so independent that she only wants to walk 4 steps ahead of me. DS, on the other hand would prefer to be 4 steps behind me. AAARRRRGGGGHHHH.

I really didn't want to have to get the double stroller out just for the short walk from the building to the car, but what else can I do?

DC! Just walk with me!!!!!!!!!!!!

StantonHyde
01-21-2010, 10:52 PM
BTDT!!! I carried one for a while. You can always get a harness for DD--I had to for safety! Or just use that double stroller.

vonfirmath
01-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Harness! That's what I would recommend.

connor_mommy
01-22-2010, 01:13 AM
When mine did that...I held or put the little one on my back in a carrier. Then I would hold onto the older one's hand tightly. Enough for him to say I was holding on too tight. Then I told him why I was doing it and until he can learn not to run away, I was going to hold him like that. They eventually will get it. My little one would hop on my back in the carrier wanting to get down. I would tell him that I would put him down if he didn't runaway. The second that he started to run, he got thrown back into the carrier. I think both boys finally got that they couldn't run off around age 3.

OKKiddo
01-22-2010, 01:42 AM
I make my 3 year old hold his little brother's hand (19.5 months old). In the future, I think I might try that colored ropey thing that Kate Gosselin had, lol. Oh, and I have carriers galore and they still get used frequently, lol!

AngelaS
01-22-2010, 08:53 AM
We practice by playing the stop and go game. They're allowed to walk ahead of me to our destination, but when I say "Stop" they have to freeze. If someone fails to stop, they have to hold my hand.

I started this game, because I always mix up their names, which means I cannot just yell the name of whomever's attention I needed to get. LOL So, if I need one of them to stop from stepping off the curb, I just say "stop" and they all freeze. :) It's very handy!

WatchingThemGrow
01-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Use the single and get one to push the other.

IKWYM...but I've decided that the double stroller is really worth getting out to get across the church parking lot most of the time, since I have those two, plus the 7mo. I think I swear more going to and from Bible Study than the rest of the week, lol.

Just recently, I tried putting DD(3) in charge of DS(2) and letting her hold his hand or his sleeve. Going IN was a lot easier than going OUT when they were both more tired and less compliant.

DietCokeLover
01-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Use the single and get one to push the other.

IKWYM...but I've decided that the double stroller is really worth getting out to get across the church parking lot most of the time, since I have those two, plus the 7mo. I think I swear more going to and from Bible Study than the rest of the week, lol.

Just recently, I tried putting DD(3) in charge of DS(2) and letting her hold his hand or his sleeve. Going IN was a lot easier than going OUT when they were both more tired and less compliant.

With the exception of the addition of the 7 mo old, I can so totally relate! They walked in like little angels! And I came out looking like a stark raving lunatic!

The only issue is that whoever is in the stroller will have a conniption fit because the other child is not in a stroller. I've got a couple of harnesses, I may have to go that route even though I dislike using them. But, DCs have left me few options at this point.

WatchingThemGrow
01-22-2010, 11:59 AM
The only issue is that whoever is in the stroller will have a conniption fit because the other child is not in a stroller.
I didn't want to mention it, because it makes me look lazy, but I sometimes will ask one of them to sit on the lap of the other one in the stroller. The bottom kid will gladly squeeze the other one. I do this with my Mac. And...we do it with the BJCMD sometimes also.

DrSally
01-22-2010, 12:43 PM
This is one reason I love my P3. The toddler step is great for getting through parking lots and anytime the toddler wants to hitch a ride. Had I known how great it was, I wouldn't have bothered to get a sit and stand.

mousemom
01-23-2010, 12:47 AM
We practice by playing the stop and go game. They're allowed to walk ahead of me to our destination, but when I say "Stop" they have to freeze. If someone fails to stop, they have to hold my hand.

I started this game, because I always mix up their names, which means I cannot just yell the name of whomever's attention I needed to get. LOL So, if I need one of them to stop from stepping off the curb, I just say "stop" and they all freeze. :) It's very handy!

How did you teach them to do this?

AngelaS
01-23-2010, 04:24 PM
We practice in the backyard and then on the sidewalk in the neighborhood. We've also played in the mall (during the week when the places is dead--they get to walk a few steps ahead of me.) :)