PDA

View Full Version : Getting frustrated with EI

KrisM
01-21-2010, 11:36 PM
At DD's 3 year check in June, the ped suggested we look into EI for her speech. I called in late June and was told that since she was already 3, it was through the schools and someone would contact me in Sept.

Sept came and went and I finally called in Oct. I got an appointment for an initial eval in early Nov. The speech pathologist thought she'd qualify, but first I had to enroll her in the school district, have a hearing test done at the county and fill out other paper work. We got the hearing test done and I turned everything in Thanksgiving week.

I finally get a call at the beginning of January to say she qualified and could come for a full evaluation. That eval was last week. Tomorrow, I meet to go over the report and the suggested plan. And, we will FINALLY make an appointment for DD's therapy!

I am guessing that since it's through the school, we will only have until mid-June to work on this for this year. So, 4.5 months. We will have used the first 5 months of the school year jumping through all the hoops.

Meanwhile, DD is getting frustrated at how often people can't understand her and I am feeling terrible for her. She is getting good at describing what she's trying to say. For example, I couldn't understand "scarf", so she said "it goes around your neck and makes an X in front and it keep you warm". She shouldn't have to do that.

Grr. I hope her sessions make quick progress on her speech.

OKKiddo
01-22-2010, 01:40 AM
We're in the same boat here. My son received services through ECI until he turned 3. We knew the transition was coming up and they submitted the paperwork to transition him, according to their regulations, a full 3.5 months before he turned 3. I didn't get a call from the school until the week before he turned 3. I had already gone up and registered him, met with the counselor, had his hearing test from a private audiologist submitted (our pediatrician referred us out on that one to make sure it wasn't due to hearing issues), did his eye exam, etc. Then when we went for the assessment they tried to schedule his ARD for two days later. Our state requires a 5 day notification. Every step of the way, I kept getting the feeling that they were trying to take advantage or steam roll me. I can't explain it better than that, but I felt pressured and bullied.

He still isn't in therapy with the school--but it's MY choice at this point because they wanted to place him in the Preschool Programs for Children with Disabilities (PPCD) classroom. I observed the room for an hour and was really disturbed by what I saw and what was explained to me. The only social interaction he'd have with neurotypical children would be at lunch every day (less than an hour), and twice a week for less than an hour (music one day and gym another). The other children in his classroom were severely disabled and non verbal. My son talks (we're up to 3 and 4 word phrases now!), he socializes (thanks to Mother's Day Out!), and behaves well (for the most part--as much as a 3 year old can, lol). It broke my heart to think of him treated as if something were so terribly abnormal. My husband and I agreed to table the school issue until he got home from his deployment (due home by this time next week!!!!) and then we can go through it together.

It's all really confusing and frustrating. Right now I'm taking the time to familiarize myself with the regulations and our rights. I'm hoping that when we have to make those decisions that it will be from a place of knowledge and with confidence that I know enough to insist on what's right for my child and not what's most convenient for the teacher's/school.

mytwosons
01-22-2010, 07:11 AM
Kris, I'm sorry you had such a long and frustrating wait. Unfortunately, it's pretty common. You're in MI, right? I have family in the metro area, and one has used the services of their (good) school. Honestly, I would start looking for a good private ST. Start with the school, but don't expect them to give your DD very much. The school therapists are often stretched very thin and don't always meet their caseloads. Have the ST show you what they are doing with your DD so you can also work with her at home.

If you start looking around for a private ST now, you will hopefully find one that has an opening or be put on their waiting list and then have an appt when summer gets here. My sister said it's pretty hard to find a private ST with openings, but the centers (more $) usually can get you in.

Good luck!

ray7694
01-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Do you have a college around. They usually have a program. I would really consider additional services.

KrisM
01-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Kris, I'm sorry you had such a long and frustrating wait. Unfortunately, it's pretty common. You're in MI, right? I have family in the metro area, and one has used the services of their (good) school. Honestly, I would start looking for a good private ST. Start with the school, but don't expect them to give your DD very much. The school therapists are often stretched very thin and don't always meet their caseloads. Have the ST show you what they are doing with your DD so you can also work with her at home.

If you start looking around for a private ST now, you will hopefully find one that has an opening or be put on their waiting list and then have an appt when summer gets here. My sister said it's pretty hard to find a private ST with openings, but the centers (more $) usually can get you in.

Good luck!

Yes, MI. I had somehow never even considered a private ST. I will definitely look into that starting today. Now I'm kicking myself for not looking into one back in July or so. I've wasted 8 months. :banghead:

But, I'll see how it goes today and what I can find privately and we'll get something good going. As I understand it, and I might be wrong, but DD will have one-on-one help once a week. I don't know what is typical, but will be finding that out.

Thank you.

KrisM
01-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Do you have a college around. They usually have a program. I would really consider additional services.

Thanks for the idea. Yes, there is a college only 30 minutes away. I will look there.

almostamom
01-22-2010, 01:49 PM
DS has been in the public school's preschool since he turned 3. He was in EI prior to that. EI never provided him with speech or OT services even though he qualified for them. I was always told that there weren't any therapists available. We started with private therapy at 18 mos and have continued it while he attends the preschool. The school does provide services, but IMO, they are not addressing his individual needs. I consider it to be more of a "bonus" service. I like that the preschool is multi-age and that DS has gone from being the youngest 2 years ago to one of the oldest now. He has become a leader in the class and has learned a lot in his time there. It has been a valuable experience. However, I give nearly all of the credit for the strides he's made in speech and OT to his private therapists. They plan his sessions based solely on his needs.

Linda

Indianamom2
01-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Dealing with EI and school therapy can be very frustrating. There's a lot of waiting and paperwork.

Our DD has been in ST since she was 18 mo. She's 5 now and in the school system for therapy. We did EI until she aged out at 3 (we're in IN, BTW) and then we transferred therapy to the school system.

To be honest, we've been underwhelmed with therapy through the school. This might be due to the fact that we ended up with an amazing Speech therapist through EI. After a few months through the school system, we enlisted the help of our former therapist, this time privately, along with the free school therapy. I won't lie, it was pricey, but we did get something like 40 session a year partially covered (I think we had to pay 40%) through insurance. (We were reimbursed.)

Definitely look into private therapy. I suspect you'll make better, faster progress, however be aware that it will cost quite a bit. I think we paid $120 something for each session (every other week).

Oh, and I totally understand the frustration of wanting to help you child. My DD often had to try to describe what she was saying a different way as well. The only upside is that she's now very good at coming up with new ways to say something.

Hang in there.

KrisM
01-22-2010, 11:48 PM
So we went over the report today and she's scheduled for her first session next Thursday. It'll be 30 minutes once a week.

I have a lead on private therapy from a friend and am getting more info, I hope.

Would you do private in addition to the school or wait until we see how school goes or wait until summer?

almostamom
01-23-2010, 12:39 AM
Personally, I would do the private therapy in addition to the school therapy beginning as soon as possible. Of course I think that because that's what we are doing for DS. :)

Linda

KrisM
01-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Personally, I would do the private therapy in addition to the school therapy beginning as soon as possible. Of course I think that because that's what we are doing for DS. :)

Linda

So you don't think that's too confusing for the child? Or somehow undermining one or the other? That's what I am worried about - that the therapy will be different enough that it is confusing for her. I've never been through this and really don't know what's involved though.

mytwosons
01-23-2010, 11:26 PM
So you don't think that's too confusing for the child? Or somehow undermining one or the other? That's what I am worried about - that the therapy will be different enough that it is confusing for her. I've never been through this and really don't know what's involved though.

If the therapists are good, they will coordinate their goals. At one point, we had two private STs plus the one from school...It wasn't confusing to my son at all.

Gena
01-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Would you do private in addition to the school or wait until we see how school goes or wait until summer?

That may depend on what your insurance covers (or what you can afford out of pocket if insurance does not cover any). Our previous insurance plan covered a limited number of sessions for ST and OT. So we scheduled private therapy to start just before the end of the school year and overlap with the start of the new school year. This allowed DS to get therapy during the summer, since he does not qualify for extended school year (summer) services from the district.

Our current insurance does not cover ST or OT for autism, so we won't be doing private theapy this summer. :(

mom2binsd
01-24-2010, 04:50 PM
As an SLP I've provided therapy through the schools and at an outpatient clinic and I always coordinated with the other therapist. If they don't make a phone call to coordinate it's not a good sign. Some parents worried that I'd take is as "you're not good enough", but honestly I could never see many of the kids as much as they needed and I was always happy to hear that parents were able to provide private therapy. The benefit to private therapy is that it allow you the opportunity o talk to the therapist after every session and get ideas for follow through at home. The practice you do at home is WHAT MAKES THE DIFFERENCE.

As far as finding a good therapist, I'd start with the on site clinic at a major university, the outpatient dept at a Children's Hospital, or a private therapist that comes recommended by other parents/professionals. Be ready for sticker shock, some private therapists will charge up to 80-100/hr. Many insurance companies will cover, some will not, it really depends.

I think EI services are stretched in many areas, we were lucky ours had short wait times. The SLP's in the schools are sooooo stretched, they often see 50-60 kids a week, although the official caseload counts are advertized much lower.

Once you do have an IEP though your services are mandated and they must provide them. In California parents sued my school district for lost services due to the fact that the district didn't have enough SLP's to cover all the schools. A bunch of us were hired to work overtime for months providing makeup services to kids (it cost the district a ton! but they were at fault). It was kind of interesting going to other schools, the kids stayed afterschool for therapy and the parents got a chance to come and watch too!

almostamom
01-24-2010, 07:14 PM

It hasn't been confusing for DS. When I receive a progress report from one SLP I copy it for the other SLP so they are always aware of each other's goals. I had an IEP meeting the other day and even they said that the therapy children receive in school is very different from private therapy.

Linda

KrisM
01-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Thank you all. I am going to call my insurance tomorrow and see what is and isn't covered. I heard through a friend that another friend was happy with the ST they went to and I'll give them a call as well.

At the very least, I will want something to bridge the summer gap for school, so I need to know what I can get for that.