PDA

View Full Version : Yay to ped! Boo to HMO!

sariana
01-22-2010, 01:27 AM
DD had her 2-year check-up today. I asked her ped about keeping her RF, and ped said absolutely, it was the safest position as long as the seat was fitting her properly.

But the handout published by the HMO said to put a 2-year-old in the back seat with the seat facing forward.

Someone needs to update the handouts.

ETA: I should mention that the same handout says to switch to a booster when the child reaches 40 lbs. Since most seats say they can be used at 30 lbs., maybe this flyer will make some parents think twice. So maybe I should lessen my Boo to merely a Sigh.

OKKiddo
01-22-2010, 02:05 AM
DD had her 2-year check-up today. I asked her ped about keeping her RF, and ped said absolutely, it was the safest position as long as the seat was fitting her properly.

But the handout published by the HMO said to put a 2-year-old in the back seat with the seat facing forward.

Someone needs to update the handouts.

You know, I was just telling the Sear's salesperson yesterday that they needed to start putting the advice we receive from the AAP and all the smart Car Seat Techs here into a flyer inside of each car seat's box--attached with all of the other required paperwork. It should have links for websites to find a seat check location, guidelines for knowing when a seat's been outgrown in height and not just weight, etc. I got very lucky finding all of you guys here!

AnnieW625
01-22-2010, 01:45 PM
My HMO is a little contradictory about things like that too. They really stress the no TV to kids under 2, but have TVs in all of their waiting rooms?!