PDA

View Full Version : Crib Bumpers

arivecchi
01-22-2010, 12:57 PM
DS2 just turned one yesterday. Hoorray! :cheerleader1: He has been waking up a couple of times at night because he moves around in the crib and his head hits the top or side of the crib. He likes to turn his head from side to side when falling asleep and cannot do that if his head is stuck against the top or side of the crib. My question is: is he old enough now that I can place bumpers in his crib? I'm pretty sure that would solve the problem. He can roll around and lift his head, so I don't think the bumpers would be a suffocation hazard. He cannot get up on his own yet and sleeps with sleepsacks, so using the bumpers as a step to jump out of the crib is not a concern.

arivecchi
01-22-2010, 03:28 PM
:BUMP:

tia!

bubbaray
01-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Happy Birthday to DS!!

Well, I never used bumpers. I used the mesh crib shield and HIGHLY recommend that.

DebbieJ
01-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I use the mesh ones and they work great.

arivecchi
01-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks Melissa! He had TOO good of a time eating a big pie of cake yesterday. :)

scrooks
01-22-2010, 03:47 PM
We have the breathable mesh bumpers too...and liked them very much!

arivecchi
01-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Question. I thought the mesh bumpers basically kept the LOs from sticking their arms and legs through the slats. Are they actually cushioned? If they are not, I am not sure they will work to keep his head from hitting the slats when he moves.

SnuggleBuggles
01-22-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm betting that hitting his head isn't what is waking him up (unless you are witnessing the whole process via monitor or something). Just a thought. My ds is constantly against the crib slats and he doesn't wake up from it. I have noticed that he squirms ad moves around most when he was already disturbed by something too and wouldn't be squirmy if he was sleeping well.

The mesh ones do have a little bit of cushioning though.

Beth

arivecchi
01-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Update: we have been using the bumpers for two nights now and he has been sleeping great as he no longer hits his head against the crib. An added benefit is that his pacis no longer fall out of the crib. :)

vludmilla
01-24-2010, 01:34 PM
We used the fabric bumpers by the age of 2. No problems here!

lchang25000
01-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Happy 1st b-day to your DS! My DS turned 1 on the 15th and had a wonderful time digging into his big cupcake! :D

DS still has the cushioned bumper in his crib and I believe it helps him sleep better without hitting himself against the railing since he is a very active sleeper! Sometimes to likes to snuggle up against it since it's so soft and comfy.

arivecchi
01-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Happy 1st b-day to your DS! My DS turned 1 on the 15th and had a wonderful time digging into his big cupcake! :D

DS still has the cushioned bumper in his crib and I believe it helps him sleep better without hitting himself against the railing since he is a very active sleeper! Sometimes to likes to snuggle up against it since it's so soft and comfy. Happy birthday to yours as well! I am so glad to be moving on to toddlerhood!

DrSally
01-25-2010, 05:56 PM
We used the breathable bumper at that age for the same reason. One thing I really liked about it was that if you step on it, it collapses. With the fabric/puffy ones, they can be more stiff and an older baby may be able to use them to launch themselves out of the crib.