PDA

View Full Version : maybe it's time to go to a booster

crl
01-22-2010, 05:13 PM
DS is 6.5 and a pretty big kid--95th percentile in height and 75th in weight (I can't remember exactly how tall or how many pounds). He's been in a Radian in the Prius and a Graco Nautilus in the Forrester. But in the last month or so he's been asking to use a booster (that's what we have at the Grandparents so that's what he used over the holidays while we were visiting). We're hoping to adopt a newborn soon. So I'm thinking maybe I should shuffle seats and let him move into boosters.

We could buy a high back booster and an infant seat for the Prius (primary car) and switch the Nautilus over to high back booster mode and install the Radian rear facing for the baby for the Forrester. . . . That would minimize the seat purchasing and get him into the boosters he wants.

What do you all think?

Catherine

jjordan
01-22-2010, 05:15 PM
If it were me, I'd do exactly as you have proposed and go ahead and make the move to a booster now. Teach him to ride in it correctly and he will be very safe.

bubbaray
01-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Sounds like he is ready for a booster.

FWIW, the Nautilus isn't a great fit on many kids in booster mode. You'd be better off getting him something like a TurboBooster (high back) which is reasonably priced.

I'd check that you can get the RN in your Forester RFg.

I'd recommend the Monterey or Parkway as great boosters. Not sure how they fit in the Prius, though.

crl
01-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Hmm. Maybe I can convince him to stay in the Nautilus as is since it's not used all that much anyway. I'd just rather avoid buying three seats (infant plus 2 boosters).

Thanks!
Catherine

AnnieW625
01-22-2010, 05:45 PM
I would try him in the Nautilus in booster mode first and see how it goes, it might fit him well.

Joolsplus2
01-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Yeah, do at least try the GN in booster mode, it may fit wonderfully. It just doesn't fit ALL kids great, but if it works for you, go for it!

crl
01-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks!
Catherine

LexyLou
01-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Yeah, do at least try the GN in booster mode, it may fit wonderfully. It just doesn't fit ALL kids great, but if it works for you, go for it!

What is wrong with the fit when it doesn't fit right?

We've tried ours in booster mode a handful of times and it seemed to fit DD well, but maybe I'm not looking for the right things?

Joolsplus2
01-23-2010, 01:38 PM
The lapbelt should be low, touching the thighs. If it rides up on the abdomen above the hips, then it's a very poor fit. Here's a little article with pictures... http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/default.html
So on a lot of (usually more petite) kids, the belt rides really high on the abdomen in the GN. Generally on bigger kids, those who have maxed out the harness, it tends to fit better, and it can also depend on the seatbelt geometry of the car...lots of factors go into proper belt fit.

:)

LexyLou
01-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Interesting. My DD is in the 85% for weight and 95% for height so she's on the bigger side but she's only 4 1/2, so next time we get in, I might bring the lap belt over just to check it against the fit that you describe. Hmmm.