PDA

View Full Version : recommend a twin mattress for ds

neeleymartin
01-22-2010, 10:26 PM
not sure how to shop for a mattress. don't want to spend a fortune. just looking for a good quality, basic mattress. no frills. i don't even know what i am expecting to spend. want the bed to be comfy and good for the body. pretty sure i don't want foam.

any advice? i remember bb had a couple of pages about selecting a crib mattress...this is the type of advice i need.

can i buy a mattress online? should i? or is it best to try it out. i am really a novice at this. any help is appreciated. tia

WatchingThemGrow
01-22-2010, 10:55 PM
We really like the middle grade (plush firm?) mattress sold at Sam's club. I've had one for myself and one for DD. We have a $$$$ mattress for ourselves, but it sux and is being replaced under warranty tomorrow.:cheerleader1:
We didn't get the Sam's mattress for DS1, though, because we want to eventually use his twin mattress for the top bunk. Bunk mattresses have to be a little thinner, and we wanted one that was more supportive and comfortable than the regular one ($99ish). The one we chose was less than $250, but it heavily discounted (40%) at a NC furniture store.

I wondered about the Moonlight Slumber mattresses as they seem to be popular here, but I wanted to try it out first.

neeleymartin
01-22-2010, 11:00 PM
We didn't get the Sam's mattress for DS1, though, because we want to eventually use his twin mattress for the top bunk. Bunk mattresses have to be a little thinner, and we wanted one that was more supportive and comfortable than the regular one ($99ish). The one we chose was less than $250, but it heavily discounted (40%) at a NC furniture store.

i didn't realize (actually think much about) the need for a thinner mattress for a bunk. ds1 will be in a twin until ds2 is ready to share a room and bunk, in about 3-4 yrs i imagine. what's the maximum thickness i should consider for a twin that will be used in a bunk later? also, do you think that i could use a bunky board instead of a box spring? would prefer to keep ds as close to the floor as possible, both for getting in and out and falling out.

WatchingThemGrow
01-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Our beds (Stanley YA, Four Seasons/All Seasons collection) have slat rolls, which is closer to a bunky board I guess. They have a low setting and a high setting for the side rails. We used the high rails for DD (trundle underneath) and had a snugtuck pillow (homemade) to keep her in. DS1 will have his on either high or low, depending on what we need under it. We'll use the siderails from the bunk set for him, probably, since we'll have them. The max mattress height is either 7" or 9" for our beds, although I can't remember which.