PDA

View Full Version : 7.5 yr old car seat options

postmodernmommy
01-23-2010, 02:17 AM
I have gotten endless info from this board over the years (YAY! & thanks! :) ) . I'm now in need again of some opinions. DD is a "short & solid" kid. 7.5 yrs old (8 in early May), 65 lbs, 48.5 inches, so on the short side for her age. She currently sits in her Britax Regent or a Parkway booster in our 2000 Toyota Echo & 2000 Camry (NO latch in either). When we travel we use a backless booster (Cosco Ambassador or base from old style Safeguard GO booster). What I notice most is that sometimes the seatbelt with the backless booster is in a position too high to be safe (hitting her neck), depending on the car. I definitely feel we've gotten a good ride out of the harnessed seats, but now we're battling with the ultra twisty straps, her awareness that she's the only one of her age in a harnessed seat and my concern over head/neck safety in a crash with her age/size in a harnessed seat. My questions are:

Is there a backless booster that sits higher than others or are they all boost at the same level?

The cleck Olli looks higher than others. Is it?

Can you use a clek Olli if your car doesn't have latch? Do the latch connectors leave a gap behind the seat?

Any other thoughts about seats or keeping kids safe at this age and this height in regards to harnessed vs HBB vs backless boosters?

Thanks!

Amy :)

Joolsplus2
01-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Combi Dakota's my kids favorite seat. It's wide and deep like the Go, but it's a little taller. The Olli is ok, but so short in the thigh support and so hard compared to the Dakota that it's not a winner in my dd's eyes (except she does love the armrests...).
Check out the pics of the Dakota/Go/Cleks here to see size comparisons (and the lack of depth in the Olli on the vehicle seat...) http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/RandomCarseats#
Also, the Cosco booster doesn't have a shoulderbelt adjuster, so sometimes the belt is on the neck and there's nothing to be done about it. In the long run, you do want the belt closer to the neck than further off the shoulder, so her body wraps around it rather than rolling out of it in a crash, but actual rubbing, well, that's not so hot. I bet the Cosco will fit her better in a year or so when she's a little taller.
And actually, yes, I'd rather see her in a highback due to the lack of curtain airbags in your cars. Highbacks offer excellent protection against head injury in side impacts. Maybe something like the Sunshine Kids Monterey would suit her, it's a great seat for more-solidly built kiddos, and can also be used LATCHed or not LATChed, and backless.

postmodernmommy
01-24-2010, 09:42 PM
I totally agree about the HBB being the way to go due to no side curtains. Thanks for the Combi Dakota advice- that was off my radar but I will check it out, looks great. You can always count on Jools for the best advice! Thanks again!

Amy :)