PDA

View Full Version : Child Growth ?: DS1 off his curve....

ThreeofUs
01-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Please help me help my DS1. I'm hoping that someone can give me btdt or just good information to ease my worried heart.

DS1 was always a 90th %ile baby - up to about 2 years. Then he started growing on a 50-75th %ile curve that was pretty steady depending on when you measured/weighed him through his year.

He just had his 5 year appointment, a little late, and he's down in the low-30th %iles for both height and weight. Now, we were sick for 3 weeks when DH was gone and DS1 lost maybe 6-8 pounds (or about 15% of his weight) then. And he really didn't have much to lose.

I've been turning this over in my head for a couple of days now, and at this point I'm pretty dang worried. He's so *very* skinny.

So. Is this normal? If not, what should I keep my eyes open for? what should I do (besides feed him every chance I get)?

kep
01-23-2010, 11:17 PM
I think it sounds like too much weight to lose, even when sick. I would def follow up with your ped.

mytwosons
01-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Is there any chance he could have celiac disease? My DS1 does and he fell from 90th to 50th because his body wasn't getting the nutrients from his food.

WatchingThemGrow
01-23-2010, 11:25 PM
nothing to add, but :hug:. We have a 5%ile for weight guy and a 95%ile for weight guy also. It just makes him look that much skinnier.

tnrnchick74
01-23-2010, 11:32 PM
I would definitely look at possible food allergies and celiac as a cause for improper weight gain. Doesn't hurt to rule out medical issues!

HIU8
01-23-2010, 11:34 PM
:yeahthat: DS is 5% on a good day. DD has always been off the charts (above 97%). Compared to DD, DS looks so fragile.

ThreeofUs
01-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Yeah. His ped said he wasn't worried about it, but I definitely *am*.

DS1 tests allergic to corn, has some problem with cow's milk, and is very sensitive to a host of tastes and chemicals. And he looks allergic, year-round, with puffy skin around his eyes. There's something there we haven't caught.

I don't know. Maybe the first step is another visit to the allergist and a scratch test to rule out environmentals and a blood test for celiac.

sariana
01-24-2010, 01:35 AM
How well does he sleep? You mention puffy eyes, which can be a sign of poor sleep. And poor sleep can lead to poor growth.

Your ped probably is not worried because your DS's height and weight are consistent with each other. If he were in the 90th % for height but only the 30th for weight, that would be a big concern. Since both are 30%, it probably is seen as a normal slowing of growth.

Are you and your DH small, large, one of each, or somewhere in between? I have read that especially large babies (as a 90th % baby would be) often slow down precipitously to "make up" for the extra size at birth (sorry, I really mean the opposite of "make up" but can't think of a phrase for that). If either you or your DH is small(er), then it would be expected that your DS would start to track a growth pattern more similar to yours.

I know my mom was really worried about me because I seemed to stop growing. My birth weight was larger than my sister's, but then I stayed really small for a long time. I could never wear her old clothes because I was just too small.

But there was nothing wrong with me. That was just my growth pattern. Now my sister is about 3" taller than I am, and we are just built differently. She is more willowy, and I am stockier, more like a gymnast.

None of this is to imply that you shouldn't pursue testing anything else that you may feel is warranted. But it's possible that your DS has just settled into his own growth pattern after a more rambunctious start.

DrSally
01-24-2010, 02:20 AM
:hug: What else did the ped say other than he's not worried. Did he give any other possible explaination, like the slowing down pp mentioned? So, both height and weight are at 30th percentile? I might call him and ask for more clarification, and tell him you're worried. Also, mention the puffy eyes. I'm sorry I don't have more ideas. It would be helpful to know if this is something he sees (dropping in percentiles) around this age. I hope everyone's feeling better now, 3 weeks is a long time to be sick.:hug:

mytwosons
01-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Yeah. His ped said he wasn't worried about it, but I definitely *am*.

DS1 tests allergic to corn, has some problem with cow's milk, and is very sensitive to a host of tastes and chemicals. And he looks allergic, year-round, with puffy skin around his eyes. There's something there we haven't caught.

I don't know. Maybe the first step is another visit to the allergist and a scratch test to rule out environmentals and a blood test for celiac.

Definitely sounds like you've got something there. You might want to see if you can find a doctor who is willing to do IgG testing. IgE is the typical allergic reaction, IgG is more of a delayed reaction or sensitivity. Many drs don't really believe in IgG, but I've seen a lot of kids improve when their IgG sensitive foods are removed from their diets. No matter what you test and the results, you can also simply remove foods for a while and see what happens when you reintroduce them.

Good luck! I hope you can put your mind at rest soon.

ThreeofUs
01-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Just wanted to add a quick thanks to everyone. I really appreciate the input.

sste
01-24-2010, 01:02 PM
How big are you and your DH in terms of height/weight?

And is your son eating well?

You could start with the allergist and then go see a pedi GI - - though the pedi GI consult for GI disease is more common with failure to thrive. You probably have more cause for concern if you and your DH are both tall yourselves . . . this would suggest your child is falling off his natural, expected curve rather than slowly settling down into his natural curve.

jent
01-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Your ped probably is not worried because your DS's height and weight are consistent with each other. If he were in the 90th % for height but only the 30th for weight, that would be a big concern. Since both are 30%, it probably is seen as a normal slowing of growth.

Are you and your DH small, large, one of each, or somewhere in between? I have read that especially large babies (as a 90th % baby would be) often slow down precipitously to "make up" for the extra size at birth (sorry, I really mean the opposite of "make up" but can't think of a phrase for that). If either you or your DH is small(er), then it would be expected that your DS would start to track a growth pattern more similar to yours.

Also, were either you or DH a "late bloomer", meaning, did you go through puberty and your growth spurt later than the other kids your age? This is called constitutional growth delay, and it's often familial. Growth slows down in the younger ages, then stays on that lower curve into puberty, then jumps up during the growth spurt.

I agree with other posters, though, that you should go back to your ped and discuss at further length, especially if you have concerns about other symptoms/allergies. And also get height and weight rechecked.

DrSally
01-24-2010, 11:52 PM
Another thing I was thinking: If you were to add back in the 6-8 lbs. he recently lost b/c of illness, what percentile would he be in?

ThreeofUs
01-25-2010, 11:06 AM
constitutional growth delay, and it's often familial. Growth slows down in the younger ages, then stays on that lower curve into puberty, then jumps up during the growth spurt.

Thank you for this insight. Actually DH reports he was traumatized by being very small until late high school. We thought that might be because he had so many risk factors (M/F smokers, lived in a superfund site, freq ill as a child, etc.) But this may be what's happening with DS1.

How big are you and your DH in terms of height/weight? And is your son eating well?

Thanks for the questions and recommendations. We're both average height. And my good DS1 is a finicky eater at the best of times.... Lately, he's been eating pretty well, though, and I thought he was eating enough to regain his lost weight.

But I've decided that he's going to have good reason to eat from now on - I'll be cooking to his tastes at least until he gets some of his padding back and the slim jeans with adjustable waists don't slide down his hips any more.

Another thing I was thinking: If you were to add back in the 6-8 lbs. he recently lost b/c of illness, what percentile would he be in?

Thank you for this, Sally. He'd be right up there where he should be. I just went to the 2-20 charts and saw that it's a very small jump indeed from the 30s to the 50s for both height and weight. I'm going to measure him here (to my own exact standards, lol!) and see where he is.

DrSally
01-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Just to set your expectations about gaining the weight back. When DS was sick for a week with severe gastroenteritis, he lost 3 ish lbs. It took several months to gain those back, prob at least 3. The constitutional growth delay thing is interesting too. I really wonder if that may be it.