PDA

View Full Version : Is this an interview appropriate suit?

tmarie
01-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Help please!!! :) I have an interview this week, for a job I very much want. Of course I don't have any suits in my closet that fit, so this weekend I was off to Ann Taylor. I tried on all three black suits that they had in the store...one was too modern with weird seams, the most classic one made me look boxy and boring. The third was darling, and although I questioned whether it was too much for an interview, the sales women convinced it was the most flattering, and looked sophisticated yet feminine. I plan on wearing the suit with an ivory silk cami, white pearls, pearl studs, simple black heels. Do you think its too nontraditional for an interview? (its the first suit in the upper left, with the ruffle collar.)

http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/category.jsp?N=1200008&pCategoryId=3939&categoryId=179&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_179&loc=TN

TIA!

tmarie

Maggie'sMom
01-25-2010, 12:05 AM
depends on what type of job it is for. This suit is probably not conservative enough for a man dominated field, but would work nicely for a creative type.

DrSally
01-25-2010, 12:08 AM
The very first one in the upper left, with the word, "suits"? I think it depends on what field you're interviewing in. If it's banking or finance, I'd prob say no. More creative field, like advertising, maybe yes. With the silk cami, I'd just be sure there isn't lace and it's not too "lingere looking", b/c the jacket doesn't close up, so it's not like you'll just be seeing the top of the cami, KWIM?

kozachka
01-25-2010, 12:14 AM
What industry and position are you interviewing for? It would not have been my first choice for an interview since I have worked in a concervative, male dominated field but it could work well for a different position. I would not wear a camisole either so you must be working in a less concervative industry. Also, I prefer charcoal gray or navy suit with a bit of color from the blouse for an interview, IMO they are less boring than black. But to my last interview I've worn a black suit with a silk cream blouse since I've already worn my gray suit to the first round of interviews and I could not fit into my navy suit.

The most important thing is that you feel comfortable in whatever you are wearing. Good luck with your interviews.

michellerw
01-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Legal, probably no. Software? You'd be fine just to show up in a suit at all!

zag95
01-25-2010, 12:16 AM
I agree with PP-depends on the job- it's a little more eclectic than some more traditional suits.....

I'd probably go for a more conservative look- but that's me.

GL on the interview!

mommy111
01-25-2010, 12:19 AM
I would most definitely not wear that to an interview, I work in a field that does have a fair number of women but I work at a higher level that is mostly dominated by men. I can see the suit being appropriate for an interview in only the most casual settings....its more like a 'I'm going out' suit than an interview suit (at least for my field). And I agree with PP who said I would not wear a cami to an interview either.....but I tend to dress ultra conservative, so take that for what its worth
ETA: Of the suits on that page, this is probably the one that I would wear, screams 'boring but appropriate' Unless I was in a VERY conservative industry, in which case this one may be too casual...
http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=21469&N=1200008&pCategoryId=3939&categoryId=179&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_179&loc=TN&defaultColor=Black&defaultSizeType=Regular

lchang25000
01-25-2010, 12:19 AM
I agree with PP-depends on the job- it's a little more eclectic than some more traditional suits.....

I'd probably go for a more conservative look- but that's me.

GL on the interview!

:yeahthat:

jenfromnj
01-25-2010, 12:20 AM
I agree with the PPs--I'm a lawyer, and for my field I would stick to super traditional suits. I think that in anything other than super-conservative professions, it would be OK though--it's very cute!

tmarie
01-25-2010, 12:26 AM
The job is in the health care industry, with HR professionals. I have been to the office once before and the hiring authority I will be meeting with was dressed in a suit, very well dressed, but with a trendy edge. The women were wearing business casual. I have worked in large law firms before and this business setting is much more casual.

The suit in the photo shows a belt---I do not plan on wearing a belt or extra accessories. Also, the cami I referred to is basically a sleeveless tank--I probably shouldn't have called it a cami. It is not low cut.

Okay, so given the industry, the details...still a no? (and did i mention that i got it at 40% off?...yikes, it will pain me to return it and have to buy another one at full price!)

tmarie

DrSally
01-25-2010, 12:30 AM
Boy, I think it really depends on your personal style/comfort level. I mean, you've seen the dept, and how people are dressed, so you have a better feel. For myself, I dress in a conservative navy or charcoal suit for interviews, but I'm a conservative dresser to begin with. I can see what you're saying about the cami. Under a suit jacket, it will look just like a silk blouse wo/a collar.

If you are having doubts, you could always keep the suit (it is cute and you got a great price), and find something else for the interview?

zag95
01-25-2010, 12:42 AM
Having formerly been a healthcare recruiter- I would go conservative on the interview- and then once I had the job- wear the suit! - is there another jacket you can wear with it to make it a bit more "conservative"? The link you showed had a couple of options- maybe there is another piece you can use??

dcmom2b3
01-25-2010, 12:51 AM
IMO you're good to go with that suit. Best of luck with your interview!!

MMMommy
01-25-2010, 01:12 AM
Personally, I wouldn't wear it to an interview. For any interview that requires a suit, period, I would opt for a traditional, conservative suit. I think the one you picked is very stylish for an outfit, but I don't think the jacket looks like a suit jacket. And if you plan on doing several interviews (not at just this one place), I would definitely pick a basic, conservative suit.

I like it a lot, but for going out and not for an interview.

bubbaray
01-25-2010, 01:19 AM
I wouldn't wear that to an interview, but its super cute and I would definitely wear it to work once I got the job. Probably not with a cami, though. I don't wear tanks or camis or anything sleeveless to work. I'm in a super-conservative, male dominated field though.

spunkybaby
01-25-2010, 01:22 AM
It's a cute jacket, but it doesn't seem like an interview suit to me. The manager who will be interviewing you may have been dressed on the trendy side, but she wasn't interviewing for a job at the time. I think it's best to stay on the conservative side for interviews unless you're in an artsy field--and HR professional in health care does not seem artsy to me.

Can you match the suit skirt with a different jacket--one with a more traditional collar? I think it's the ruffled shawl collar that seem especially non-interview-ish to me.

ETA: I like the jacket that mommy111 linked to.

crl
01-25-2010, 01:39 AM
DH and I are agreeing with most of the pp. (DH works for big law and helps with interviews so I asked him.) Not an interview suit unless it's in creative field like marketing. I don't know HR that well, but I don't think of it as a creative field. I think it would be great for after you get the job though--it's super cute!

Catherine

MontrealMum
01-25-2010, 02:45 AM
I'm in a more creative field, and I wouldn't wear that suit jacket to an interview. Too girly, and I want to be taken seriously at that first meeting. Though I do like it a lot, and like pp would wear it after getting the job :) I'd wear something like this: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/outfit.do?cid=30924&oid=OUT17278 or this: http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/suiting/super120s/PRDOVR~86162/86162.jsp Sorry, they're not on sale and pricey!

I know the ultra-conservative suit standard for women is the navy/black skirt suit. So, this mixes it up a bit since it's a pant suit, but still quite simple. Or I might do like Kozachka suggests and do the skirt suit with a bright blouse. I also like to pair more stylish shoes (but still a subdued color) with a more traditional suit. I could go either way with the cami idea - if you're not taking the jacket off, I don't see a problem as long as it's now low-cut and you said it's not, I'm not sure I'd show bare arms in an interview, but am fine with that, again, after getting the job!

TammyZ
01-25-2010, 04:03 AM
I think it will be ok. it is a nice suit, and besides, the outfit is not the number one thing that the interviewer notices. it is your body language. make sure your show your confidence and don't play with you hands or things like that. you will be great!

kijip
01-25-2010, 04:33 AM
Will you be working in HR? Or will you be working in health administration?

I could see wearing it for marketing, development, event planning and some human resources. Healthcare I don't know if I would or not.

It is a lovely suit and I think you will get a lot of wear out of it.

kozachka
01-25-2010, 04:40 AM
Just lost a very long post. G-r-r-r. Here's a quick recap. Brooks Brothers has a 50% off clearance right now. There are several conservative options that would work well for an interview:

Gray pinstiped jacket (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=517&Product_Id=1414243&Parent_Id=314&default_color=STEEL-GREY&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=)with knee length skirt (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=517&Product_Id=1414243&Parent_Id=314&default_color=STEEL-GREY&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=) and light blue fitted shirt (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=318&Product_Id=1400569&Parent_Id=314&default_color=LIGHT-BLUE&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=) or silk blouse (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=318&Product_Id=1400663&Parent_Id=314&default_color=LAVENDER&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=)

Navy pinstriped jacket (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=517&Product_Id=1400747&Parent_Id=314&default_color=NAVY&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=)with pants or skirt

Navy jacket is made from wool super 110s, which is better, but is only available in size 4 online. Store should have more sizes. There many more shirts, I just linked to the one on sale that is neutral but interesting because of the white collar and cuffs. Silk blouse would work if IRL it's not as shiny as in the picture. Pricewise it's about the same as Ann Taylor but personally I like BB suits quality better and shirts are iron free.

TwinFoxes
01-25-2010, 08:26 AM
I'm in a more creative field, and I wouldn't wear that suit jacket to an interview. Too girly, and I want to be taken seriously at that first meeting. Though I do like it a lot, and like pp would wear it after getting the job :)

Same here. It's actually been a long time since I had to interview, and I'm pretty sure I didn't even wear a suit, but for me, this one is a little froofy. (I was/am a journalist.)

My other thought is, it may be 40% off, but if you get it you'll get limited wear out of it. If you get the job, it stands out so much you may not want to wear it often. If you don't get the job (heaven forbid) you may have to buy another suit to wear to interviews with more conservative employers.

If you do decide to use it, try it on with your tank top before heading out. I would still worry that when you're moving around you might flash a little side-boob. Good luck with the interview!!!

amldaley
01-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Agree with the chorus of PP's....cute suit for once you get the job. For interviews, always dress one notch above what you would wear for the job and one notch more conservative.

If you are committed to Ann Taylor, I think the suit in the center of the page with the teal blouse is a great suit for an interview. It has a feminine line to it but is still very clean and straightforward.

gatorsmom
01-25-2010, 09:39 AM
The job is in the health care industry, with HR professionals. I have been to the office once before and the hiring authority I will be meeting with was dressed in a suit, very well dressed, but with a trendy edge. The women were wearing business casual. I have worked in large law firms before and this business setting is much more casual.

The suit in the photo shows a belt---I do not plan on wearing a belt or extra accessories. Also, the cami I referred to is basically a sleeveless tank--I probably shouldn't have called it a cami. It is not low cut.

Okay, so given the industry, the details...still a no? (and did i mention that i got it at 40% off?...yikes, it will pain me to return it and have to buy another one at full price!)

tmarie

I worked in HR and did a lot of interviewing- both for our department and for other departments. If it were me, I'd buy the suit that mommy111 linked to. I know that people say that you can dress down for certain positions like IT and such, but frankly, when there are lot of candidates for a position, what the person wore to their interview was a weeding out tool for me. Dressing conservatively always said to me that the candidate respected the company, was mature enough to feel comfortable in conservative clothing, and was serious about this position. but that's me.

Good luck with your interview!

lowrioh
01-25-2010, 11:20 AM
I really like that suit but in my field it wouldn't fly. Are you looking for something relatively inexpensive? NY & Co have some basic black suit jackets and pants and there are always coupons out there. I bought a jacket there after I had DD because I had a meeting to go to and none of my jackets would button. They usually have them in store. Not high quality but it will get you through an interview or two.

http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/browse/productDetailWithPicker.jsp?FLCat=cat60036&SLCat=cat330038&productId=prod1930003&categoryId=cat330030&addFacet=1002%3Acat330030

tmarie
01-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Okay...it sounds like the majority thinks I need something more conservative, so I want to play it safe. Hopefully between the JCrew, Banana Republic, and Brooks Brothers at the mall, I can find something that will work. It's funny, besides the fact I thought the suit was more flattering than the others I tried on, I thought it might make me look a little less serious. It is so hard interviewing for non-attorney jobs when you have a JD...I worry about them thinking I am TOO serious, so I try not to look too stuffy. :)

I'm REALLY grateful for all of the advice from you ladies....now I just need to decide on a haircut style! :)

tmarie

czekit7
01-25-2010, 12:10 PM
For HR in the medical profession, ABSOLUTELY! Good choice, not to over the top! Good Luck

DrSally
01-25-2010, 02:14 PM
BTW, I agree with the BB suggestion. I love Brooks Brothers for quality. DH gets all his work clothes there. When they have sales, the prices can be pretty reasonable.

egoldber
01-25-2010, 02:15 PM
I think the NY&Co suit the PP posted is perfect. Conservative, but not stodgy.

I think BB is great but they are sooo expensive!

ETA: I think the AT suit in the third row middle is fine.

trales
01-25-2010, 02:21 PM
I really like the suit, I think it says fashion forward, cares about appearences, professional, did not buy a cheap suit to flatter or drag out something that is 20 years out of style.

If the suit fits your personality and you look good, feel good in it, you should wear it.

tmarie
01-25-2010, 09:00 PM
UPDATE! I spent hours shopping today and ended up spending over $400 (ouch--I don't even have a job yet) on a black J. Crew suit (except with a pencil skirt, not the pants)
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/suiting/super120s/PRDOVR~86162/86162.jsp
and a classic light blue shirt (not shown here in blue)
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/shirtstops/classicshirts/PRDOVR~87699/87699.jsp
Do we like the shirt or should I go with something more feminine or interesting? Anything else I could wear under it? I hate wearing button down shirts under suits, but this was the most classic/conservative thing I could find in J.Crew. The interveiw is in less than 2 days, so I'm running out of time...

Thank you, thank you!! :)

tmarie

niccig
01-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Do we like the shirt or should I go with something more feminine or interesting? Anything else I could wear under it? I hate wearing button down shirts under suits, but this was the most classic/conservative thing I could find in J.Crew. The interveiw is in less than 2 days, so I'm running out of time...

Thank you, thank you!! :)

tmarie

I have a similar shirt...do you have a necklace that you could wear with the shirt to give it something extra???

tmarie
01-25-2010, 09:28 PM
I have a similar shirt...do you have a necklace that you could wear with the shirt to give it something extra???

The only necklaces I have that would be short enough to work with the neckline are pearls (single and triple strands) or a triple strand black bead from AT (plain, but I still question if it's too large).

I also have this blouse...could I get away with it if the rest of the outfit was completely conservative?
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/shirtstops/camisblouses/PRDOVR~17428/99101841457/ENE~1+2+3+22+4294967294+20~~~20+17+4294967170~15~~ ~~~~~/17428.jsp

DrSally
01-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Love the suit! $400! Well, you can always wear them as separates too. Hopefully you'll get a lot of use out of it. I think it would look good with the blue shirt and a strand of pearls. I always like to do a simple jewel neckline in a knit silk or microfiber, if you can picture that b/c I need the streamlined look b/c I'm so short. Depends on your body type though.

mommy111
01-25-2010, 11:42 PM
I've worked in medicine and I think you've definitely done the right thing in choosing a more conservative suit. You could definitely have worn the AT suit on the job, very cute, but medical admin and even medical HR still tends to be more conservative around interviews.
I think you could definitely pair that suit with a less conservative blouse, the pink that you have linked to *might* work, but it depends what it looks like when you have it on, again to me that would be a little casual and I would opt for the classic light blue that you have or a blouse without a collar in a more eyecatching color (kind of adds a pop of color but without being too casual) kind of like kozacha suggested. I've found pink, lilac and a darker silky blue work well to that effect.
But, the suit you have right now also should be just about perfect, with the blue blouse if you don't want to shop any more.
Good luck on the interview!!!!

gatorsmom
01-25-2010, 11:43 PM
The only necklaces I have that would be short enough to work with the neckline are pearls (single and triple strands) or a triple strand black bead from AT (plain, but I still question if it's too large).

I also have this blouse...could I get away with it if the rest of the outfit was completely conservative?
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/shirtstops/camisblouses/PRDOVR~17428/99101841457/ENE~1+2+3+22+4294967294+20~~~20+17+4294967170~15~~ ~~~~~/17428.jsp

I like your own pink ruffle-neck shirt AND the new blue one you bought. That suit is beautiful. And even though it was a lot of money, I think you will easily be able to get a lot of wear out of it by dressing it up or down as well as outside of work.

Pearls would be beautiful with the blue blouse, imho. Looks like you are all set! Good luck on the interview!

MMMommy
01-25-2010, 11:58 PM
The JCrew suit is a nice choice! I don't think you can go wrong with that one. It is understated, simple, and classy. You could use that for many an interview (hopefully you won't need to interview a lot!).

Best of luck on your interview!

tmarie
01-26-2010, 12:14 AM
And even though it was a lot of money, I think you will easily be able to get a lot of wear out of it by dressing it up or down as well as outside of work.

That's what I'm counting on! :) Even if I don't get this job I will need to dress up for networking, etc..., so it really will come in handy. Again, I really appreciate the advice, especially from all of those with the HR background.

I plan on going with the black sut and blue shirt, pearls, black patent leather heels. Now I just need to get through the interview....

tmarie

kozachka
01-26-2010, 04:08 AM
I like this suit much better than the AT one you linked to in the OP. It would work well with a light blue shirt and a single strand of pearls. I would not wear a the blouse that you already have to an interview, it has too many ruffles IMO. I do like wearing a black suit with a pink, lavender or light blue silk blouse.

Do you have shoes that are not patent that you can wear with this suit? I'd try to stay away from anything shine and err on the conservative side.

tmarie
01-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Do you have shoes that are not patent that you can wear with this suit? I'd try to stay away from anything shine and err on the conservative side.

My only other options for heels are a pair of black suede pumps that have some ticking/seams and a small bow at the tow. I know they sound busy, they are actually very pretty and conservative, but I thought they were too different for the interview. Dd just woke up with a fever, so I don't think shoe shopping will be in the cards today. :(

tmarie

TwinFoxes
01-26-2010, 08:46 AM
My only other options for heels are a pair of black suede pumps that have some ticking/seams and a small bow at the tow. I know they sound busy, they are actually very pretty and conservative, but I thought they were too different for the interview. Dd just woke up with a fever, so I don't think shoe shopping will be in the cards today. :(

tmarie

I would pick these before patent leather pumps. :)

I also thought the lavender blouse you had would work, but if you want to go the ultra-conservative route, the blue shirt with pearls is a classic.

kozachka
01-26-2010, 01:18 PM
I used to wear suede shoes to a very conservative office so they could work. You'd need to try them on with the pant to see whether they work or not. Patent shoes and purses are not generally considered conservative. Hope your DD gets better soon.

DrSally
01-26-2010, 09:22 PM
I'd go with the suede shoes too. They'll stand out less than the patent leather.

tmarie
01-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Okay, suede shoes it is! Would you believe I twisted my ankle last night, trying on the patent leather heels? :) I'm icing it as we speak in hopes I can just get through tomorrow.

Thank you, thank you!
tmarie

michellerw
01-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Love the JCrew Super 120s suiting! I have it from two years ago and I actually scored my current job in a navy pinstriped pantsuit (before I got all fat and pregnant). I've had great luck interviewing in BR and JCrew suiting -- I think they both make great, classic suits and their quality is quite nice because they are three and four season wools.

I actually disagree with the previous posters re: the patent leather, but I work in software, so they probably know your industry better. I've never had a problem interviewing in patent pumps, though.

Good luck!

kayte
01-26-2010, 10:39 PM
If the suit fits your personality and you look good, feel good in it, you should wear it.

:yeahthat:

I think feeling comfortable and confident shows so much during a first meeting.