PDA

View Full Version : What is "booster training"?

sariana
01-25-2010, 01:08 AM
I have seen people refer to "booster training" on car-seat.org. I don't visit there often, only to look for something specific. So maybe the answer is there.

Do people actually install booster seats, have their kids practice, and then reinstall harnessed seats? Or does "booster training" simply mean Mom or Dad buckles everything for the first few months before letting DC do it themselves? Or something else?

We tried a Compass seat for DS today. I'm not ready to move him yet, but if he were to start using it, I would need to buckle him because he was not able to get the tongue into the receptacle without help.

bubbaray
01-25-2010, 01:33 AM
Well, I did booster training with DD#1 last May, borrowing a booster from another tech. I gave it back, but DD#1 back into a harnessed seat and shortly thereafter, got her a booster. The first couple of rides, I stayed in our neighborhood, keeping my eye on her. I did one ride sitting beside her with DH driving. I stressed no moving around, showed her how to fasten the belt by herself, etc.. She was HIGHLY motivated as the booster was pink and the harnessed seat is not and she wanted a PINK seat. I"ve only had to remind her a couple of times in the nearly year since to sit "nicely".

Joolsplus2
01-25-2010, 07:20 AM
Yeah, that ^.

A good example of NOT booster training would be to go on vacation, put your kid in a booster for the first time at too young of an age, have him unbuckle his seat ON the freeway, and realize you've made a dire mistake. Learn from my mishap :p
It's good to take a few trips before he's outgrown the harness on his old seat, because you can use that harnessed seat as a strong reminder or even get it back out and use it again, if he really is having too hard of a time learning to sit still (You don't have to do THIS, but I had a Regent in the garage for a year or two after my kids stopped using it, but they knew I would use it if I had to, it made a very effective reminder, "Sit still in your booster or I'll put you back in your Big Blue Seat!!!!" worked like a charm)

o_mom
01-25-2010, 09:14 AM
DS1 has been 'booster training' I guess for the last 9-12 months. For us, it means he is still primarily harnessed, but he rides in a booster in DH's car. These are all short trips for him to practice. Not long enough for him to get really bored and start moving around, but enough that he gets the idea of sitting still, not leaning out, etc. I think it will be another 6-12 months before I move him in our van. I don't think he is ready for long trips in a booster just yet, but is getting there.

Eliz_n_Abi_s_Mommy_Karen
01-29-2010, 03:04 AM
A related question that I have is, do I leave the seatbelt loose once I buckle in my child? Do I need to tighten the lap portion? Do I need to pull the shoulder portion all the way out and let it retract, thereby resulting in a locked shoulder portion?

sariana
01-29-2010, 03:43 AM
A related question that I have is, do I leave the seatbelt loose once I buckle in my child? Do I need to tighten the lap portion? Do I need to pull the shoulder portion all the way out and let it retract, thereby resulting in a locked shoulder portion?

I had wondered about that too. Based on the debate about extended FF harnessing, and the risks of the body being secured while the head is not, I would say no to "locking" the belt. I think the point of the seat belt is that it allows for a bit of movement. If it is "locked," then it creates the same problem as a harness on a larger person--the body will be held tightly in position while the head is able to continue moving forward, thus potentially causing trauma to the head. (It is my understanding that something like this is what killed Dale Earnhardt [sp?]).

I could be totally wrong, though, so I hope someone else chimes in.

As to my original question, I drive DS to kinder ~7 miles each way every day. Would it make sense to "booster train" him then? It's all surface streets, but some are 55 mph. But he would stay harnessed on trips to his grandparents' or any other time we would go on the freeway? We are down to only one car now, so I can't just switch vehicles; the harnessed seat would have to be uninstalled and reinstalled each time we changed.

ETA: I was planning to wait until he turned 6 to go to the booster, but I'm hoping he'll be back at the school across the street next year. So we'll be walking, and there won't be many opportunities to "train."

o_mom
01-29-2010, 08:19 AM
You can lock the shoulderbelt if you want to. It makes a nice reminder not to move around for kids who are new to boosters. The seatbelt will lock in a crash even if you don't pre-lock it, so it won't change the way it performs.

Joolsplus2
01-29-2010, 08:38 AM
There really aren't increased neck injuries to kids in harnessed seats, it's a theoretical risk based on Swedish (not translated into English, not replicated or found here) studies. So don't worry about harnessed older kids OR locking the belt, neither one is dangerous (Toyota reminds us it's not needed in boostered kids, but imagine they are trying to keep people from installing boosters the way they install car seats, there's no danger from locking a belt, I do it all the time when *I'm* tired and want to lean sideways, even :))

For young kids, a locked belt is a great training tool, and for older kids, it makes a great threat ("Sit properly or I'll lock your belt!" is a reminder that works instantly for my kids ;))

sariana
01-29-2010, 04:20 PM
I could be totally wrong, though, so I hope someone else chimes in.

And it seems I was! I'm glad, too, because I would rather use the seatbelt in the "locked" position once DS moves to a booster.