PDA

View Full Version : KKAFP users - some questions

citymama
01-25-2010, 04:03 PM
I know there are some die-hard KKAFP fans on this board (Momof3Labs and others, IIRC). Some questions for you:

--for how long and during what ages were you able to use the KKAFP?
--in what temps could you use the KKAFP - is it too warm for the 70s?
--can you use it hands-free or do you need to keep a hand on it at all times? with our Maya wrap, I never felt like I could safely use it hands-free.
--do you know if the pouch has changed over the years - is there a "new style" and "old style"? I tried one on at a local baby store and it has a whole bunch of snaps at the shoulder/back. Is this true for the older kind as well? Trying to figure out if I can buy off eBay or need to buy a current model.

Thanks for any feedback!

Momof3Labs
01-26-2010, 01:27 AM
I'm not up on current KKAFPs. Mine is a number of years old - I think it dates back to DS1. Mine has a whole bunch of snaps at the shoulder but does not have the safety loop of fabric (additional bulk) that I believe that current models have.

I used it a lot when DS2 was tiny, and a little bit with the twins (one at a time) a few months back. I don't do as much babywearing with toddlers and up though they would still certainly fit in a hip carry. I tend to use a Zolowear ring sling for hip carries with toddlers because I can adjust it so well.

It is very warm to wear; I wouldn't want to wear it in 70 degree weather.

It was virtually hands-free for me. My kids liked to be tummy-to-tummy so might need some head support when I bent over, but I didn't need to support their body.

citymama
01-26-2010, 01:41 AM
Thanks so much! It's rarely in the 70s here and always cold indoors, so I think it is great for our Bay Area climate. I'm going to give it a shot, but will look for something more current.

kwc
01-26-2010, 09:03 PM
CityMama,
I used mine pretty much year round with DD when we lived in West Portal. I only found it too warm a few days a year or when hiking back uphill on a sunny day. I LOVEEEEEED that thing. I also used to schelp DN around, but unfortunately DS was not as big a fan of being worn. But it's great for 2 kids, almost hands free.

JacksMommy
01-27-2010, 04:35 PM
I live in Napa and I think it's perfect for the Bay Area. Not sure where you are, but I used mine every day while I was still wearing my kids. In the middle of hot days, I used something else (either my Maya Wrap or my mesh pouch), but it cools down in the evenings and I'd always go back to my fleece then.

The KKAFP was my favorite carrier for both newborns and toddlers. It was hands free for me except when bending over. I still use it sometimes with Maddy, who is five, when she is sick or unusually crabby. I used it every day with her last year when walking her big brother into school but at 43 pounds, she is too heavy for me to want to use it except when I'm desperate (which I have been, with this latest round of ear infections -ugh).

All versions of the KKAFP have the rows of snaps - that is part of it's design. Somewhere in the early 2000 (3? 4?), they started sewing the pouch together ("safety stitch") due to customer concerns of it coming unsnapped and falling off. I have never heard of this actually happening, and never had any of mine come unsnapped. Since there are about 16, you'd have to have someone actively trying to unsnap it, imo, but at any rate, they sewed it together. Most people prefer the safety stitch because it makes them feel safer. I preferred the older version just because the safety stitch makes it a bit bulkier at the back unless you are wearing it on the largest setting. But it's a small quibble.

Hope this helps!

citymama
01-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks so much! Laurel, I've been wanting to find a way to come up to Carry Me Away but Napa is unfortunately not too close to me. I'm in San Fran proper. I've been a Maya Wrap and Ergo user with kid#1, but we're looking to expand our horizons the second time around! KKAFP seems popular in SF (with good reason). Beco is popular on these boards, and I've been considering it. Any other suggestions? DH wants something more hands-free than the Maya for the infant stage as well - maybe we need his and hers KKAFPs! Although he overheats very easily (unlike me) so maybe the Ergo with infant insert would be best for him.

Natural Resources in SF sells both KKAFP and Beco but I'd love to find a way to get them more inexpensively, so if you have any suggestions, let me know! Thanks!

JacksMommy
01-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Yeah, SF is definitely too far to travel to Napa! :)

We had his and hers KKAFPs, that worked great for us. My husband runs warm, too, but he still liked it. They do have other materials, like a ribbed microfleece which seems pretty similar to the fleece (I haven't used it extensively, but initial reports are good) and the stretch all-season material (I prefer the fleece, but do use the all-season stretch when it's too hot). I would not think it would get too hot very often in SF for using these, but ymmv.

Becos are great with a newborn! I am not a huge fan of the ERGO infant insert - it is super bulky compared to using the ERGO with an older child. It does do the job, though, so if cost is an issue, it's a low-price add-on that can get you through the first few months.

You might also give the Maya another go. I'm surprised to hear you didn't find it hands-free and wonder if you're tightening it sufficiently? It should be very snug.

Cheers,