PDA

View Full Version : ummm... So what is the difference between a crock pot and a slow cooker

fivi2
01-25-2010, 04:13 PM
and which do I want?

I bought a crock pot a while back and broke the insert getting it out of the box. I couldn't find a replacement and tossed it without ever using it. All these posts have me thinking I need one, but are they the same thing? which is better?

Do you have to brown meat before putting it in a corck pot (or slow cooker?)

TIA

g-mama
01-25-2010, 04:16 PM
They're the same thing. Crockpot is a brand name of a slow cooker, like using "Kleenex" to refer to tissues.

Re: browning meat...depends on the recipe.

nrp
01-25-2010, 04:17 PM
A Crock Pot is just a brand name for a slow cooker. Crock Pots are made by Rival and I think were the "original" slow cookers. I've had Crock Pot brand and others, and it more comes down to the features you want and price point.

As for browning the meat, a lot of recipes call for it, and it does tend to improve the flavor some, but it usually isn't necessary and your dish will most likely turn out fine without.

fivi2
01-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks to both of you!

jacksmomtobe
01-26-2010, 07:49 AM
I actually had a crock pot from my wedding and when I opened it a year or so after getting it the glass broke too. I just called the company and they sent me a free replacement so it's too bad you threw the rest of it out.