PDA

View Full Version : Nautilus harness seems too tight

June Mommy2
01-25-2010, 06:10 PM
We replaced our expiring MA with a Nautilus for our 5-year-old a couple of months ago. We had him sit in the Nautilus and the Frontier before deciding. DS and DH both preferred the Nautilus so for the extra savings that was fine with me. But the harness straps seem sooooo tight on him, especially when I'm trying to buckle him while he is wearing a jacket. I feel like I'm squishing the kid. I've seen remarks about the crotch strap being short, but I don't think our problem is specific to the crotch strap. It's like the entire harness is too small. DH installed it and thinks the straps are extended as far as they can go, but I would love any advice. My DS isn't big for his age either, about 42 lbs. and 42". I bought the seat for the purpose of keeping him harnessed, so I really don't want to use only the shoulder belt yet. What are we doing wrong?

o_mom
01-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Double check that the straps are routed correctly over the rollers, etc. in the back. Otherwise, if he is close to the next slots, go ahead and move it up. The way the harness routes on that seat means that you actually gain harness length each time the harness is moved up. Also, try it without his jacket. If there is a significant difference in how the harness fits with the jacket on, it is probably too thick to use with the carseat.

Eliz_n_Abi_s_Mommy_Karen
01-29-2010, 03:01 AM
Also be sure that the headrest is in the correct position and not too low.

Oh, and I also remember that there's an "infant pad" thingamajigger that the Nautilus comes with, and it only fits when the harness straps are in the lowest position. Take it out -- it's totally unnecessary for a 5-year-old.