PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a tattoo?

Corie
01-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Do you have a tattoo? If yes, how many do you have?

And where are they located?

MamaMolly
01-25-2010, 10:50 PM
You first...;)

elizabethkott
01-25-2010, 10:50 PM
No, but I've always wanted an eclipsed sun on my big right toe.

WatchingThemGrow
01-25-2010, 10:51 PM
No, but DH has frat letters on his foot.

billysmommy
01-25-2010, 10:51 PM
I have a butterfly on my upper thigh and a shamrock on my R ankle....

I love them and am planning on getting another one in the next few months :)

DietCokeLover
01-25-2010, 10:53 PM
No, it's not something I've ever been interested in doing.

AshleyAnn
01-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Nope too permanent for me. I've never seen anything I loved so much I wanted it permanently etched into my skin without any fear that I may change my mind/tastes. I have my belly button pierced and am considering an EXTREMELY small nose piercing and I love to get professional fake tattoos that last a week or two but I like things to be undo-able.

elliput
01-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Nope. No tattoos. NMS, and I am fickle enough that if I did get one, I would hate it before the end of the week.

momof2girls
01-25-2010, 10:55 PM
No, not interested. I know a few people my age (30s) and all seem to regret them (they got them in their early 20s).

Corie
01-25-2010, 10:59 PM
I do not have a tattoo. (Although I did tell my last boss that I had an eagle
tattoo across my back and when I move my arms, the wings fly. She was
appalled. I don't think I ever told her that I was joking.)

My husband has two tattoos. His initials and his fraternity crest.

Corie
01-25-2010, 11:02 PM
I know a few people my age (30s) and all seem to regret them (they got them in their early 20s).

That's funny because I know quite a few people (men & women) who have
tattoos and none of them regret their tattoos. All but a few have added
another one.

jenfromnj
01-25-2010, 11:03 PM
I do, and it's SO not something most people would ever think I'd have--only DH, my sis and some close friends even know I have it. It's a Celtic symbol that has a lot of personal meaning to me, it's on the small of my back (in "tramp stamp" territory, LOL). I intentionally had it done in a place where it would not be visible when I am clothed, unless wearing low 2-piece bathing suit bottoms (which I think are a thing of the past since having DS).

Despite being totally out of character for me, I've had it for over 10 years and still really love it.

LexyLou
01-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Yup, and a tramp stamp nonetheless but I still think the Barbie with the full back tat is tacky. :)

ETA: I got mine when I was 26 and I don't regret it at all. It's the old drunken sailor tattoo with my hubby's initials. I got it after I was diagnosed with MS and he was my rock and my strength. It was a healing thing for me and symbolizes a major life changing event.

JBaxter
01-25-2010, 11:05 PM
No, but DH has frat letters on his foot.

DH has his frat letters & number on his butt

Corie
01-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Yup, and a tramp stamp nonetheless but I still think the Barbie with the full back tat is tacky. :)

Really? That's funny to me. Apparently, it's all about location. :)

bubbaray
01-25-2010, 11:11 PM
I used to have a belly ring. No tats though.

Of course, now my abs look so scary that I do NOT want to draw attention to them.

elizabethkott
01-25-2010, 11:16 PM
I had a belly button ring too! I even made it through my pregnancy with J with it intact! Ironcially, it was about 3 months after I delivered that the ball fell off... I found it and had all good intentions of replacing the ring with a new one, but it fell off before I had a chance to. :(

LexyLou
01-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Really? That's funny to me. Apparently, it's all about location. :)

Well my tattoo is smaller than the palm of my hand and can't be seen unless I'm in a bikini or low rise jeans and I bend over. I can wear tank tops, etc..without screaming "I've got a giant eagle across my back!!!"

I don't know. I just don't like full back tats. I actually prefer beautiful sleeve tattoos to the wings across the back.

newg
01-25-2010, 11:20 PM
I don't , but DH has DD's handprint on his right shoulder blade. He's planning on putting the next LO on the other shoulder.

Maggie'sMom
01-25-2010, 11:39 PM
I have one small purple violet (sorority flower) on my lower stomach. Wildest thing I ever did in my early 20s and totally out of character for my preppy style. Hid from my family for years, but now everyone knows. Definitely don't regret it and would love another one someday.

lalasmama
01-25-2010, 11:42 PM
In 3 weeks, I will be getting my first tattoo. It will be on my inner calf. It will be the mathmatical symbol for infinity (an 8 on its side, kind of). When looking at it far away, it will look like a solid line, but up close, it will say "Love You More" with my mom's birthday and my kiddo's birthday. When Lala was a toddler, she, mom and I would go around "arguing" about who loves who more, by saying "no I love you more!" It continued until mom died nearly 3 years ago. Lala and I now do something different ("How big do I love you?") because I just couldn't do "No, I love you more" after mom passed.

I've always thought "No way would I ever get a tattoo!" but, I figure, my love for my mommy will never go away, and my love for my child will never go away, so if I'm going to do something permanent, it might as well be in their honor! It also helps that I'm not the first one getting a tat in honor of my mom--my aunts (both in late 50s) have gone under the needles before me.

SO has 4 tats.

Tondi G
01-25-2010, 11:47 PM
I don't have any tattoos but my DH has a lot of work. Across his shoulders... upper arms, tribal bands on the upper arm, tribal wrist bracelets, a tribal sea turtle on the inside of each forearm and our boys signs on the inside between the bracelets and the turtles. Not sure what he will do if we have a 3rd child?

I've never had the desire for a tattoo.

mariza
01-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Got a crescent of a moon on my left hip in my early 20's. I'm a July birthday, so a "moonchild" and had wanted to get this tat as soon as I turned 18. I was afraid I'd regret it so I told myself I'd wait 5 years and if I still wanted it, I'd get it. So I got it at 23 and now at 36 I have no regrets. I don't have a desire for any more though, I leave that to DH who has 9 ans counting!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-26-2010, 12:08 AM
I have 4.One I got in HS that is so bad.... One 1/2 moon 1/2 sun tramp stamp, a flower fairy (http://www.zillion.co.nz/listing/11730685/viewphoto/963760/)on my hip and a 4 leaf clover on my foot (http://picasaweb.google.com/BelleoftheBallEvents/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCJDqnaWCpZifXA&pli=1&gsessionid=GkRgyrpQ6evoNkRFGhh1Yg#5430895199495494 722).

niccig
01-26-2010, 12:10 AM
Nope too permanent for me. I've never seen anything I loved so much I wanted it permanently etched into my skin without any fear that I may change my mind/tastes. .

This is me too, I wouldn't be able to make up my mind and then there's the needles....not for me.

Both my sisters have one. One sister has her own design, she's an artist. The other sister has the Welsh dragon, as her DH was Welsh. He's now her ex-DH. I don't know how she feels about the tattoo now.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-26-2010, 12:11 AM
In 3 weeks, I will be getting my first tattoo. It will be on my inner calf. It will be the mathmatical symbol for infinity (an 8 on its side, kind of). When looking at it far away, it will look like a solid line, but up close, it will say "Love You More" with my mom's birthday and my kiddo's birthday. When Lala was a toddler, she, mom and I would go around "arguing" about who loves who more, by saying "no I love you more!" It continued until mom died nearly 3 years ago. Lala and I now do something different ("How big do I love you?") because I just couldn't do "No, I love you more" after mom passed.

I've always thought "No way would I ever get a tattoo!" but, I figure, my love for my mommy will never go away, and my love for my child will never go away, so if I'm going to do something permanent, it might as well be in their honor! It also helps that I'm not the first one getting a tat in honor of my mom--my aunts (both in late 50s) have gone under the needles before me.

SO has 4 tats.

At night I tell DD "I love you more than alllll the stars in the sky, and allllll the fish in the sea, that's how much I love my Belley " I wiggle my fingers for stars, and move my hand like a fish. She says it now, but mixes it up a bit, making it so much cuter...

Snow mom
01-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Nope too permanent for me. I've never seen anything I loved so much I wanted it permanently etched into my skin without any fear that I may change my mind/tastes.

Oddly enough, this is exactly how I feel about bumper stickers but I do have a tattoo. It's a small Aboriginal symbol that I got done when I was in Australia in my early 20s. It's on my lower stomach/ pelvic bone and I was very afraid it would stretch during pregnancy but it turned out to be low enough to not be affected.

lchang25000
01-26-2010, 01:41 AM
No, it's not something I've ever been interested in doing.

:yeahthat:

tarahsolazy
01-26-2010, 02:18 AM
I have one on my lower back, call it what you will, lol!

Its about 4 inches in diameter, and its a Trinity symbol. I got it at age 29, so not a drunken college decision.

I plan to get one or three more, perhaps. At least one. My identical twin and I plan to get matching twinflowers.

I have a very professional job, and I won't put any where they are easily visible with normal work clothes, though, I do find that fairly tacky.

citymama
01-26-2010, 03:21 AM
No way, no how, not ever. I am a wuss and I don't like defacing/messing with my body for anything not essential to my health and safety!

That said, I live in the city of tattoos. Where having tattoos is absolutely the norm, and not having them is somewhat freakish. DH and I are say we are the non-comformists - everyone on the street and all our neighbors seem to have multiple tats, and very visible (and some very beautiful) too.

Gena
01-26-2010, 07:59 AM
I have a butterfly tattoo in the front of my shoulder. It covers an ugly surgical scar that I always hated.

infomama
01-26-2010, 08:34 AM
No tat but thought about it for a decade or so. Seems that I want to include too much stuff and it would either become huge or illegible. Still in my back pocket. DH has 4 and is planning one more.

khalloc
01-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Yes, I have a tiny flower on my inner ankle. Got it when I was 17 on a trip to Montreal. My mom was so mad. I wish I hadn't done it. But since I did, I am glad that what I got is so small. I would hate to have gotten something huge.

bluestarfish18
01-26-2010, 10:01 AM
I have a bunch. A dolphin on the prerequisite lower back, a map of the Hawaiian islands on the top of my right foot, and a family of 4 honu (Hawaiian for turtles) on top of my left foot. And yes, I'd like more. But....I'm too afraid to have my ears pierced :)

Twoboos
01-26-2010, 10:13 AM
I have a tiny flower on my inner ankle.

This is exactly what I want. I have wanted one for years!! In college I was too chicken, then after when I met DH, he said we would be done if I ever got one. He has even mentioned the D word if I ever got one!!!

I am still wanting one, though... <sigh> I might have to accidentally get one. :)

Carrots
01-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Nope. Not for me either.

billysmommy
01-26-2010, 10:52 AM
And yes, I'd like more. But....I'm too afraid to have my ears pierced :)

I was afraid to get my ears pierced too. I finally got them done when I turned 24...way after both my tattoos.
Dh (then fiance) had bought me some gorgeous tanzanite earrings for Christmas not realizing I didn't have pierced ears. I absolutely loved the earrings so got my ears pierced so I could wear them

Moneypenny
01-26-2010, 10:56 AM
I currently have some celestial symbols around my navel. I got them when I was 28 and don't regret them at all. They even survived pregnancy! I have plans to get a few more.

jse107
01-26-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm not against them, but I think DH would KILL me if I got one. From time to time I've thought about two little tiny chicks on my foot with the kids initials under them.

Melaine
01-26-2010, 11:01 AM
It doesn't interest me at all, but I am also too indecisive. There is no way that I would be able to choose something, too much permanence and pressure!

MommyofAmaya
01-26-2010, 11:30 AM
I have a salad plate size tattoo on my upper back. It is an Aztec Butterfly, similar to this one: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fastcustomshirts.com/catalog/Aztec%2520Butterfly%2520SM.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.fastcustomshirts.com/servlet/Categories%3Fcategory%3DTribal%2BDesigns&usg=__EGK9Kj1VXElxs2qRJx1aGWVPy2A=&h=194&w=150&sz=39&hl=en&start=1&sig2=GwvpLVAXhNFpUcwWvsyDjg&um=1&tbnid=VulgzF6mqs3DTM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=80&prev=/images%3Fq%3Daztecbutterfly%26hl%3Den%26client%3Df irefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1&ei=oQhfS8-YFab4MN3Y4YUM

It was the result of digitally combining several ancient hygroglyphs. I don't regret the tattoo itself, although I do resent that the artist didn't tell me that some of the lines were too close together (they bleed into each other now). I also occasionally regret it when I go swimming at a fancy hotel. Otherwise, I don't really think about it. I got the tattoo on January 1, 2000 (which I thought was significant for some reason). I was in the middle of law school and was concerned that the experience would "change" me as it had many of my friends (who became more shallow, superficial, greedy, etc.). The tattoo was supposed to remind me of who I was. I didn't know then that I had nothing to worry about.

czekit7
01-26-2010, 01:03 PM
I have two...chili pepper on my left ankle, and a rose on my right hip.

AnnieW625
01-26-2010, 01:11 PM
No I don't. I am deathly afraid of needles. I figure if I can't look at a needle long enough to give blood then I have no right to get a tattoo. I also hate the sound that the tattoo machine makes. Plus my parents would've killed me had I gotten one when I was living under their roof.

karstmama
01-26-2010, 01:17 PM
i have a peach a bit bigger than a quarter on my left close-to-groin, and a line arrow (used in cave diving) in an art deco vine frame (about palm-sized) on my right outer hip. i'd love one more on my upper left butt, but we'll see. they never show unless that's the intent.

calv
01-26-2010, 01:24 PM
do not have any. but would love to have my belly button pierced

KHF
01-26-2010, 01:26 PM
I have one. It's Pepe LePew with a garland of flowers on my lower back, off to the right side. I don't regret it, per se, because I don't even see it. DD thinks it's a sticker and tries to scratch it off.

I got it when I was 28 (10 years ago). If I had it to do over again, I probably wouldn't, or I would get something to do with DD and DS. I do still like it though. So I don't hate it, more just ambivalent about it.

lizzywednesday
01-26-2010, 01:39 PM
For years I've talked about getting a Chinese dragon silhouette on my shoulder blade, but have never actually gone through with the purchase because I'm the "conservative" one. Also, a friend of mine has the exact tat I wanted on her shoulder, so I feel like a copycat.

I like to consider them, but have always wussed out.

ThreeofUs
01-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Not me. Way too chicken about needles and possible infections! But I also knew so many older people who had them and they had run, merged, or otherwise become illegible over the years.

That said, if I had a surgical scar or something else I wanted to camouflage, I'd so have one.

SASM
01-26-2010, 02:02 PM
I have a 1.5"diameter celtic knot on my left inner ankle...discreet yet visible. I have had it for 14 years and I LOVE it. :) I plan to get another one with my children's names...just do not know where and haven't come across a design that I love yet.

Reyadawnbringer
01-26-2010, 02:44 PM
This is exactly what I want. I have wanted one for years!! In college I was too chicken, then after when I met DH, he said we would be done if I ever got one. He has even mentioned the D word if I ever got one!!!

I am still wanting one, though... <sigh> I might have to accidentally get one. :)

Accidentally? As in "DH, guess what happened? I tripped and fell into a tatooing needle- look how it turned out!" :hysterical:

I don't , but DH has DD's handprint on his right shoulder blade. He's planning on putting the next LO on the other shoulder.

This sounds awesome. I would love to see a pic of how that turned out.

maestramommy
01-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Too hard to vote! I don't have a tattoo, and probably won't get one, but I'm not at all against them. In fact, if I had been a little bolder in my college days I probably would've gotten one. I remember the red snake Agent Scully got on her lower back in one of the X Files episodes, and thought that was very cool!

Now that I'm over 40 and my skin is already starting to sag, why get a tattoo that isn't gonna look right in a very short time, y'know?

Corie
01-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Now that I'm over 40 and my skin is already starting to sag, why get a tattoo that isn't gonna look right in a very short time, y'know?

I'm going to get some really cool abs tattooed on my stomach area so everyone
thinks I'm totally ripped. :)

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-26-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm going to get some really cool abs tattooed on my stomach area so everyone
thinks I'm totally ripped. :)

You could make tons o' money strippin' with a tat like that. Corie, you always crack me up!:bighand:

Corie
01-26-2010, 05:20 PM
You could make tons o' money strippin' with a tat like that. Corie, you always crack me up!:bighand:

With the lights dimmed and me wrapped around the pole, no one would even
notice.

nov04
01-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Eventually I'll get one, initials and birthdates of the girls. Probably somewhere only dh and I can see it. Maybe bra-line under my arm???