PDA

View Full Version : Neon Green Vomit - Sorry if TMI (Updated in 1st post)

DietCokeLover
01-26-2010, 09:59 AM
We went to see the doctor this afternoon. He ordered blood work and a chest xray (which is traumatic to watch for a mommy). Thankfully, there was nothing on the xray and his white count was good. The doctor said that he figured it was some viral thing and to just watch him to make sure he didn't get worse or dehydrated. And, like some pps mentioned he said to stay away from dairy.

After we got home, DS seemed to perk up after a couple of hours and actually ate some dinner. So, hopefully all is getting better. Thanks for all your advice and kind thoughts.

DS is sick this morning. Fever of 101.8, coughing.... but the strangest thing is the neon green vomit that has been coming up. It's pure liquid. I've never seen anything like that. Any thoughts?

We're going to the doctor this afternoon. I made an appointment just in case - we're expecting an ice storm coming in tomorrow afternoon and didn't want to get iced in with a sick child who needed to get to a dr or something.

Clarity
01-26-2010, 10:03 AM
It sounds like stomach bile. I'd call the pediatrician to touch base. Hope the weather holds off for you.

misshollygolightly
01-26-2010, 10:04 AM
It sounds like bile to me--as I understand it, that's often what comes up when the stomach is pretty much empty already. (Which also explains why it's just liquid--no chunks.) I'd definitely take him to the ped, but also watch carefully in the meantime to make sure he isn't getting dehydrated.

jerigirl
01-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Poor guy! Was his tummy empty? That sounds like bile. When was the last time that he had eaten anything?

DietCokeLover
01-26-2010, 10:06 AM
He last ate at dinner last night. He started getting sick aroud 5:30 this morning. I've offered him juice and some cheerios but he's not interested this morning. I'll keep it available for him.

Melaine
01-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Poor little guy! I hope he soon feels better and you don't have to clean up again....that's the worst.

DietCokeLover
01-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Poor little guy! I hope he soon feels better and you don't have to clean up again....that's the worst.

I've changed clothes 4 times this morning and it's only 9 o'clock. Not a good start to the day.

tamie
01-26-2010, 11:28 AM
We've had this tummy bug go through our house. It lasted about 12 hours for the vomiting and everyone was feeling better in about 18 hours- except for the soreness from all the vomiting. Sorry TMI.

Worst stomach bug I have had in a long time!

Hope he feels better soon!

shawnandangel
01-26-2010, 11:55 AM
We also had a stomach bug last week. Same as Tamie, ours lasted about 24 hours with vomiting and diarhea and then we were better, just worn out. We did not have a fever with ours however, it was the worst I've felt in a very very very long time.

MmeSunny
01-26-2010, 03:13 PM
We just got back from the pedi for vomitting. Ours was clear. Our pedi wasn't super worried--suggested a stomach virus. BUT, she did say if the puke turned green to come in right away. It could be from an empty stomach (bile) or twisted intestines. I don't say this to scare you, but green puke was one of the reasons she said kids need to see the doc ASAP.

Snow mom
01-26-2010, 04:12 PM
We just got back from the pedi for vomitting. Ours was clear. Our pedi wasn't super worried--suggested a stomach virus. BUT, she did say if the puke turned green to come in right away. It could be from an empty stomach (bile) or twisted intestines. I don't say this to scare you, but green puke was one of the reasons she said kids need to see the doc ASAP.

I made the mistake of googling this once after DD had a small amount of bright fluorescent green puke. My ped wasn't ultimately concerned about 1-2 tbs of green vomit, but I think if it's any volume of green puke it's worth a speedy trip to the ped. As I understand it the green is something backing up from the intestines into the stomach (aka bile that shouldn't be there rather than stomach bile) and a large volume might indicate an intestinal blockage. Best to have it checked out. Hope he feels better soon.

Reyadawnbringer
01-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Yea, I would definitely have it checked out. It sounds like bile, but as PP stated green bile is usually from further down. For example, when DS had an NG tube suctioning out his stomach contents it was yellow. When then had to redo the NG tube the tech put it down a little too far and it was pulling up the green from the lower stomach/intestinal area. That was the only time the whole month he had the tube in that we saw green bile, the rest of the time it was yellow.

Good luck, sending hugs, P & PT your way.

gatorsmom
01-26-2010, 05:17 PM
I've changed clothes 4 times this morning and it's only 9 o'clock. Not a good start to the day.

If he's vomiting that much, I'd definitely keep dehydration at the front of my thoughts. If he isn't interested in juice or the usual drinks, maybe a popsicle? I know ice cream is a HUGE hit when our kids are sick. I let them eat as much as they want, especially when they won't eat anything else. Those little bite-sized ice cream Dibs are popular with my kids right now.

:hug: Hope your dr. visit goes well.

Corie
01-26-2010, 05:25 PM
If he's vomiting that much, I'd definitely keep dehydration at the front of my thoughts. If he isn't interested in juice or the usual drinks, maybe a popsicle? I know ice cream is a HUGE hit when our kids are sick. I let them eat as much as they want, especially when they won't eat anything else. Those little bite-sized ice cream Dibs are popular with my kids right now.

:hug: Hope your dr. visit goes well.

Oh, please don't do dairy!! That is the worst thing to give a vomiting child.
Dairy is so hard to digest. I always avoid dairy and meats for several days
after the vomiting has stopped.

My son has CVS (cyclic vomiting syndrome) so I am well versed in vomit. :)