PDA

View Full Version : Which strollers are popular in your area?

arivecchi
01-26-2010, 11:57 AM
This seems to vary greatly from region to region. What is popular in your area? Please state which area if possible.

Neighborhood close to downtown Chicago: Bobs, Valcos, Baby Joggers, Mountain Buggies, Macs, Bugs, Vistas, Phil & Teds.

AnnieW625
01-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Let's see in my general area of Long Beach I think the Bob Revolution is pretty much the go to stroller, with a Phil N Teds Vibe/Sport single or double being the second most popular. I don't see many Baby Joggers, or Valcos. Bugaboos are #1 with moms in the "know" as are Maclaren umbrellas, and the Bumbleride Indie series is probably right there too. I have also seen a fair amount of Kolcraft Countours singles/doubles. Graco Metrolites or Quattros are still popular, but I live in a very mixed income area. We have millionaires on one side of the city and working class moms on the other. I live right in the middle so I see either Bob Revolutions, Kolcraft Countours, or Gracos. I see lots of cheapo umbrellas too.

ETA: for non AT doubles the most popular are Graco double, the Sit N Stand, and then one of the Joovy strollers.

jacksmoma
01-26-2010, 12:40 PM
fun topic!! i'm in so cal and see a ton of gracos, sit n stand types, and no-namers...for more trendy moms, i see tons of bobs, bugaboos, bjcm's, macs...don't see many baby joggers (elite or classic, just an occassional one) or valcos or mountain buggies...every once in a while i'll see one of those :) i'm always checking out strollers when we go out...and i see my dh doing the same! so funny

wendibird22
01-26-2010, 12:48 PM
I live in suburban W.NY. No good public transportation and few sidewalks even in neighboring suburbs. Also a cold climate. So, we are a "travel by vehicle" population. I typically only see Gracos and anything cheaper. Until a Buy Buy Baby opened last year you couldn't easily get a higher end stroller. Even BRU only had a few PPs but every type of Graco, Baby Trend, and Jeep to be had. A coworkers of DHs registered for a higher end PP and people thought she was being a total snob for requesting such an expensive stroller. LOL. Two summers ago I saw a P&T with the jump seat at a street festival and DH and I looked at it like we'd just seen a UFO!

I'm much more educated about strollers now thanks to these boards!

arivecchi
01-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Seems like I live in the land of the stroller snobs. :hysterical:

Dr C
01-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Around here (Triangle area, NC) most folks get strollers from Target, Walmart, or BRU, so we see mostly travel systems: Gracos, Chicco, or Baby Trend/Kolcraft, etc. "In the Know" families seem to have Maclarens or Peg Perego's. Amongst the outdoorsy crowd, Bob's are pretty common with a rare Mountain Buggy, P&T, or Baby Jogger sighting (I always get excited when I see these). I've never seen a Valco IRL, and my first Bugaboo sighting was on a trip to NYC! I do, however, know two families with Orbit travel systems (?!?).

SnuggleBuggles
01-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Absolutely nothing interesting or unique- just whatever you'd find at BRU or Target. I see Bugaboos most of any of the higher end strollers as well as some BOBs. Like PP, Macs are common with the parents "in the know."

Beth

bubbaray
01-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Metro Vancouver, BC Canada: Bugs, Mountain Buggies, BOBs, Phil & Teds, Macs, Peg Peregos. Not as many BJs or Valcos, though see them periodically.

elektra
01-26-2010, 02:14 PM
I seriously see everything in my area (I am always on the lookout of course!)
There will always be Bugs, especially as you head to Newport Beach or South Coast Plaza.
But I am seeing more Bumblerides and UPPA Baby Vistas. DH always asks me what's what and I can usually spot what they are from pretty far away. ;)
Tons of Macs too. And BOB's are popular at the outdoor malls.
But I see a ton of Graco's too. I think they are still the standard.

ILoveLucy
01-26-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm in the burbs where walking to get from A to B usually isn't possible, so most of the time we are in and out of our cars, not walking with the stroller for long stretches.

I see Graco, Kolcraft, and little umbrella strollers at festivals or the like. The higher-end strollers I see are lots and lots of Maclaren and Peg Perego, less of Bugaboo, Bob, and Baby Jogger. I have a neighbor with an Orbit system, but my neighbors who are SAHMs and walk/jog tend to have Baby Joggers and Bobs.

I do see tons of Chicco travel systems--they are everywhere here.

rl42382
01-26-2010, 03:21 PM
we have sidewalks and lots of local shopping i see everything from the brand new baby jogger cental and lots of city minies macs and baby jogger elits,valcos, not so much of the pegs that is so last season lately but buggabo, uppa baby p&t dash and vibe orbits here and there and inglesina and graco and other basic brands as well. many people walk and we have cold winters

larig
01-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Almost anyone I see out walking has a bob.

MamaBear
01-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Metro Vancouver, BC Canada: Bugs, Mountain Buggies, BOBs, Phil & Teds, Macs, Peg Peregos. Not as many BJs or Valcos, though see them periodically.

On Vancouver's westside, mainly Bugs, MBs, and P&Ts, plus lots of Gracos and snap & go type things. A fair number of Pegs, Macs and BOBs, UPPAs are becoming more common, plus the occasional Stokke.

vludmilla
01-26-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm in a suburb just outside of NYC and I rarely ever see cheap strollers. I see macs and bugaboos all.the.time. I also see phil and teds, some stokke, some uppababy. I think even some women without the real means to have these more expensive strollers get them out of a kind of cultural peer pressure.

taralynn819
01-26-2010, 09:59 PM
We live in *glug glug* West Virginia, what do you think?! LOL

sweetsoul99
01-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Bay Area, Northern California.

Depends where you're at. Mostly I see a kazillion gracos or cheapo umbrella strollers. The most popular "nice" stroller would be the maclarens in the malls, and bob's outdoors. If you're downtown in the nicer areas, I've seen an occasional bugaboo, city mini, or vista. Once, I saw a Mountain Buggy and about flipped with excitement to finally see one in person.

crazye
01-26-2010, 11:46 PM
This seems to vary greatly from region to region. What is popular in your area? Please state which area if possible.

Neighborhood close to downtown Chicago: Bobs, Valcos, Baby Joggers, Mountain Buggies, Macs, Bugs, Vistas, Phil & Teds.

Seems like I live in the land of the stroller snobs. :hysterical:

:ditto: and :ditto: as I'm in the Western Chicago suburbs (yuppyville to be exact ;) ) and I see everything from the el-cheapo $10 BRU freebie stroller (although you can tell the families who have these are hurting for $$ in general) to Bob, MB, etc., all decked out.

I was at the mall the other day with DD so she could run around/burn off energy in the play area and there were 3 moms with their MBs, Venti Starbucks, designer workout duds (I was there just at the end of the power walking moms workout time) and designer diaper bags.

edurnemk
01-26-2010, 11:51 PM

I agree, when we moved from Chicago to Houston, one of the first things I noticed was how different the stroller selection was! Mostly Gracos and P3's and such. My Vista looked huge in comparison, but back in Chicago it felt like a normal size stroller.

Now we're in Mexico City for a few months and here the most popular is the P3, but you do see a lot of Cameleons and Quinny Buzz, as well in certain parts of the city. My Vista is unique here, I love that!

GraceH
01-27-2010, 12:22 AM
See... I'm everywhere from the far SW/S Chicago burbs to NW Indiana, so I see lots of Gracos, Chiccos, & Maclarens, as well as those awful $10-$20 umbrellas -- also Keekaroos, Pegs, BOBs, Kolcraft contours, and UppaBaby (mostly gLuxe / gLite)... don't see alot of Bugs or BabyJoggers.
DH makes fun of me and my stroller gawking - you guys are a really bad influence :bouncy:

zag95
01-27-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm out here in Portland, OR- I see a lot of Macs and BOBS, and can spot a BJ a mile away (probably why I was drawn to one!)

On the other end of the spectrum are the big Gracos and the cheapie umbrellas too- it is always interesting to stroller watch- I saw a few Bugs one day when I went to a "higher end" mall-

As long as you have a good canopy to divert the rain, you are good to go!:ROTFLMAO:

crl
01-27-2010, 02:21 AM
Bay Area, Northern California.

Depends where you're at. Mostly I see a kazillion gracos or cheapo umbrella strollers. The most popular "nice" stroller would be the maclarens in the malls, and bob's outdoors. If you're downtown in the nicer areas, I've seen an occasional bugaboo, city mini, or vista. Once, I saw a Mountain Buggy and about flipped with excitement to finally see one in person.

I'm in the city itself--San Francisco. On the street I see Bugaboos, cheap umbrellas and some Maclarens--I've seen a Stokke lately. On the pomenade on the Presidio I see joggers--a lot of City Joggers and some Bobs--and snap n gos.

Catherine

citymama
01-27-2010, 03:06 AM
I'm in the city itself--San Francisco. On the street I see Bugaboos, cheap umbrellas and some Maclarens--I've seen a Stokke lately. On the pomenade on the Presidio I see joggers--a lot of City Joggers and some Bobs--and snap n gos.

Catherine

Exactly. This is Maclaren city, with a few Bugaboos and BOBs thrown in for good measure. Maclarens everywhere.

blondflava
01-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Fun fun!! I live in the suburbs of NYC, in NJ, there are a lot of sidewalks and shopping along the main strip of my town, mostly I see Gracos and Maclarens. A few jogging strollers, but nothing fancy, never seen any of the baby joggers or MB, P & T - forget it LOL, but I occassionally see them on CL, so there are somewhere.. I saw 1 (one) Bee and a couple Frogs while walking outside. Mostly the travel systems though.
Now, when I go to one of the malls, that's a different story. Quite a bunch of PP, Bugs (Cams, Frogs and Bees sometimes), Maclarens.. Gracos and cheaper umbrellas as well. We have a few BBB though, and they carry various strollers, that's the only place where I saw Baby Joggers and Bumblerides and Orbits though....

mecawa
01-27-2010, 11:14 AM
In a town South of Boston I see tons of Macs (like everyone has a Mac), then Bugaboos and Graco's. I also see a a lot of BOB's down by our beaches.

AnnieW625
01-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Also want to add if you ever find yourself in Manhattan Beach, CA, go to the shops at Manhattan Village, I was there a few months ago and for the middle of the day (I was on jury duty near there and got released for the day) I had never seen soo many SAHMs with Bugaboos. It even put South Coast Plaza or Fashion Island to shame. I saw one mom with a PP P3. It's a small mall too. I was just soo surprised.

The best place to stroller watch around here is Disneyland. You will see everything there. Perfect place for a stroller expo! I saw one family with twins (I think) and they both had Stokke Xplories. Not a double, two separate Stokkes! I also saw a lot of Bugaboos, and even an Orbit! I also a Vista with a stroller board, which was a great help for me (since we plan on getting one) Wow people are really trusting to bring their $$$$ strollers to Disneyland!

jacksmoma
01-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Also want to add if you ever find yourself in Manhattan Beach, CA, go to the shops at Manhattan Village, I was there a few months ago and for the middle of the day (I was on jury duty near there and got released for the day) I had never seen soo many SAHMs with Bugaboos. It even put South Coast Plaza or Fashion Island to shame. I saw one mom with a PP P3. It's a small mall too. I was just soo surprised.

The best place to stroller watch around here is Disneyland. You will see everything there. Perfect place for a stroller expo! I saw one family with twins (I think) and they both had Stokke Xplories. Not a double, two separate Stokkes! I also saw a lot of Bugaboos, and even an Orbit! I also a Vista with a stroller board, which was a great help for me (since we plan on getting one) Wow people are really trusting to bring their $$$$ strollers to Disneyland!

lol i'm leaving for disney in a couple mins and i LOVE stroller watching there! so many bobs, gracos, and macs...we will be bringing our bjced :) i get so nervous leaving it at rides...but there are tons of double bobs and i figure someone would steal a double bob first!!! here's to hoping i can get my 2 year old to sleep in the bjced for naptime today (he's never ever taken a nap in a stroller...)

rizzo0904
01-27-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm in NH. I see lots of Gracos and Maclarens.

catsnkid
01-27-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm in the burbs of CT. Mostly Graco's. Most of the people in my child birth class got either Gracos or Chico systems. I have seen a lot of jogging strollers at the farmer's market. Personally I have a Graco metro lite and it has worked for me so far- mostly mall trips, a trip to lake george, strolls around the neighborhood and to the farmer's market. I also have a medium quality umbrella stroller I haven't used yet- picked up at a tag sale. I think it is a kolkraft.

Jelly Bean
01-27-2010, 11:44 PM
I'm in the DC suburbs - Bethesda MD. Tons of snap and gos, Bugs, Bobs, City Minis and Maclarens. At the mall you'll see a ton of PPs and travel systems. Tons of travel systems! I have only seen a couple BJCCs, BJCEs, and Quinnys and never seen a Stokke, MBUS or Orbit around here. I've seen them only when I've been on vacation.

strollerqueen
01-28-2010, 02:37 AM

SoCal beach--BOB, Bugaboo, and some BJ Mini's, Quinnys--Zapp and Buzz, Macs of course, and the occasional Phil and Ted's, MB or Peg.

pharmjenn
01-28-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm in a suburb just outside of NYC and I rarely ever see cheap strollers. I see macs and bugaboos all.the.time. I also see phil and teds, some stokke, some uppababy. I think even some women without the real means to have these more expensive strollers get them out of a kind of cultural peer pressure.

I had to comment on this one. I visited Manhattan a few weeks ago, and the only time I saw anything other than a Bugaboo or Stokke, was on the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island tours (tourists) I decided, that since so many people don't have cars, they can use the money towards expensive strollers. I felt pitiful with my Silver Cross POP!

Otherwise, I come from SF East Bay area, and it is primarily Graco heaven. I have a Rock StarBaby, as does a friend, but most all I see are the cheapos. We are a very middle class town though.

happyturtles
01-28-2010, 04:31 PM

Yes, Bugaboos are popular at Manhattan Village. However, I've also seen some Vistas, Quinny Buzz, and Orbit. Some Gracos make it there too. There's a new baby store there now, and they have the Stokke, Stroll-Air, Valco (trimode and latitude) on display, so there's the clientele for the higher end stuff.

happyturtles
01-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Oh, I was excited to see someone else with a Jane powertwin while I was using mine on the Strand in Manhattan Beach. Other outdoor strollers I see there are lots and lots of Bobs, Bugs, and some Jeep/Baby Trend looking doubles. Not many MBUDs, though I saw an orange one the other day. And I"m seeing a few more BJs now.