PDA

View Full Version : Links to Booster info???

christiedavid3
01-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Specifically, when is it appropriate to move a child to a booster? 5 pt harness vs. seatbelt? HBB vs LBB??? I know I've seen links before, but can't find them now!

TIA!!!

Joolsplus2
01-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Ideally, seats should be maxed out. Rearfacing of course that's weight limit or head one inch from the top of the seat, whichever comes first. Forward facing, if your kid still fits harnessed by height (shoulders below or up to the top slots) or weight, they should be harnessed. Based on injury data from kids in Sweden, head injuries for kids age 2-4 are pretty high when they are in boosters, so a good highback at at least 5 or older is probably the safest choice. Then they need to be in boosters until the adult belt fits safely, usually about 5 feet tall (bum all the way back, feet flat on the floor, lapbelt low on the thighs, shoulderbelt on the shoulder). That can be anywhere from age 10-13, though very large kids in very small seats may fit as young as age 8 (it's very much dependent on the kid and the car...the longer you can go, though, the longer the pelvis has to develop, so it can take the crash forces better and keep the belt low off the abdomen).

Rearfacing to preschool (2-3), harnessed to kindergarten (5-6), booster through elementary school (10-12 or so), back seat till high school (airbags injure kids at higher rates up to age 14, at 15 they become protective instead) is the best practice I'd like for all kids.

Do you need links to convince someone? Some of them aren't very user friendly, but I can dig them up.

christiedavid3
01-26-2010, 02:44 PM
thanks Jools!! I knew you'd come through. I was looking for some info to convince a few people. I think this will help.