PDA

View Full Version : Trip Insurance Questions

hellokitty1
01-27-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks to the posts here, i've perused insuremytrip to look for coverage for our trip. But I just have some basic questions for my understanding.
1) When I go through the steps on the site, it basically asks me for the total amount I am spending. I am including everything like airfare (purchased separately through Southwest), ground transport, resort hotel, resort tickets, cruise. Am I choosing "Package Plan"?

2) With trip insurance, am I basically buying coverage for the value of my trip and if I wanted to have, say, less coverage, I would just insure it for a smaller value (not that I would but just trying to understand how trip insurance works)?

3) Does the insurance only cover certain cancellation reasons?

4) What am I comparing between companies? Do some cover more reasons for cancellation? Are some just easier to work with if you have a claim (which I cannot readily tell this). In other words, how do you decide who to go with?

5) My agent did say I can purchase on my own but recommended Access America and said that if I buy from them, provide an agent number of some sorts. I imagine this is like a referral. Should this drive me towards Access America or away?

Thanks in advance for answers.

mytwosons
01-27-2010, 11:45 AM
I purchased insurance through our agent at smallworld. She was able to send me the brochures and agreements so I had all the info on what was covered, etc. before I purchased. I'm not familiar with the site you're using, but is there anyway to get the agreements?

Corie
01-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Check out this thread about trip insurance for Disney.

I didn't buy any based on the responses that I got.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=337778&highlight=trip

hellokitty1
01-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Check out this thread about trip insurance for Disney.

I didn't buy any based on the responses that I got.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=337778&highlight=trip

Thanks Corie. This particular trip is for a cruise though so it is costing a LOT and there are a lot more risks here like, if we are sick, we can be denied boarding on the ship and if we have medical expenses at sea or outside the States, we need additional medical coverage. But I'm like you in that I have never bought it before for other vacations.