PDA

View Full Version : When did you switch from an infant seat to a convertible?

Kymberley
01-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Ds is 6 mo, around 20 lbs. He's currently in a Snugride 32, so I know the weight requirement is a long way off. Height wise he's got a while too. I have a Recarro Como waiting for him. Does it make more sense to just wait until he out grows the infant seat? I kind of hate the thing because it's so heavy and cumbersome to take out and I prefer to carry DS when we go somewhere, but OTOH it is handy when I'd just rather keep him in it and run in a store. I don't know, what do you think?

HIU8
01-27-2010, 12:00 PM
DS we switched at 11 weeks, but we had a bucket that went to 20 lbs and DS cried all the time.

DD we switched at 14 months when she outgrew it by height. She was in a safeseat. After she got to be about 10 months I did not take the seat out of the car anymore. It was to heavy. I would use the stroller instead for some things, but I liked having her in the seat for quick trips though -I would put the seat into our kolcraft universal carseat stroller. I personally would not move your DS until he outgrows the seat or I would at least wait until winter is over and maybe you are not disturbing a sleeping baby to take him out of the carseat all the time.

MoJo
01-27-2010, 12:03 PM
We moved DD between 8 & 9 months. We chose to keep her in the infant seat (which she didn't mind) through the winter. If it was cold, we'd keep her in the seat to carry her in and out; if it wasn't, then we often left the seat in the car once she could sit on her own.

vonfirmath
01-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Depends on the situation.

We moved our son at 13 months because we were moving and didn't want to risk the convertible getting lost in the move.

Some move their kids when they outgrow the infant seat.

Others move their kids hoping they will be happier/more comfortable in the convertible because of unhappiness in the infant seat.

others move their kids because of an accident that makes the infant seat unable to be used.

etc.

MomToOne
01-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Switched at about 9-10 months and around 17-19 pounds. I think there was a sale on Britax that prompted it though

AnnieW625
01-27-2010, 12:59 PM
We switched at 7 mos old. We had a regular snugride 22 and DD didn't seem to mind it but it was getting a little tight for her height wise and DH was tired of the back adjusters on the seat.

chays
01-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Can you install your Como also? Then you can use the bucket when its convenient and the other seat for times that you prefer to use it.

jjordan
01-27-2010, 01:40 PM
We switched dd at 11-ish months old when she had just about outgrown the snugride. We switched ds at about 8 months old because I found a good deal on the convertible I wanted, and we were past the worst of the winter weather (when a bucket really came in handy).

mikeys_mom
01-27-2010, 01:47 PM
We had the older 20 lb limit Snugride.
DS - 5.5 months. He outgrew it by height.

DD#1 - 5 weeks. She screamed every time she looked at the seat. Switched to a MA, which she was much happier in.

Twins - 9 months. They outgrew them by height.

If he's happy in the infant seat, I'd leave him in there for the times that you want to transfer him without taking him out of the seat. The rest of the time, I'd just leave the seat in the car.

Kymberley
01-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks everyone! I think we'll wait until Spring to reconsider the move. I do like the idea of keeping him in the infant seat until the cold weather passes. I had thought about that, so I'm glad someone commented on it.

DebbieJ
01-27-2010, 03:19 PM
I would be moving my 4mo right now if it wasn't 10 degrees outside! He is getting HEAVY in that bucket, but it's SOOOO convenient when doing school drop off/pick up with DS1. I also love using the bucket with the Snap N Go for quick errands.

zukeypur
01-27-2010, 03:25 PM
With Thing 2 we switched at 7 months, and with the new baby we started out with a convertible.

crazye
01-27-2010, 03:28 PM
4 months old simply b/c DD was getting HEAVY...too heavy for me to lift her into my minivan without straining my back (I'm short). I twinged my back several times and told DH I was done with the bucket. She only had about 5lbs to go before outgrowing it anyway (Snugride so 20/22 pound limit).

christiedavid3
01-27-2010, 04:26 PM
We used our SafeSeat with DS until 15 months. I did install the Boulevard in our main car around 9 months or so, but we continued to use the SS in DH's truck.

maestramommy
01-27-2010, 04:49 PM
We tend to switch when our kid starts to look rather squished in the infant seat. We have a Baby Trend Latch Loc, with a 22 lb limit. Our kids are tiny. Dora switched at 13 months, Arwyn at 16 months. Both could've kept on going, at least according to the height/weight limits, but it just looked like they need a little more elbow room. I do clearly remember that Dora started complaining a lot less once we made the switch.

GraceH
01-27-2010, 11:20 PM
We used our bucket until 2 years old -- nothing says that you can't put the handle out of the way and leave it in the car like a convertible, but nothing beats the convenience of having the option to pop it in the stroller for a quick errand or to carry it in during inclement weather.

SnuggleBuggles
01-27-2010, 11:26 PM
2m with ds2, 4m with ds1. Snugride that went to 20 or 22lbs. Even if I had one that went higher I would have stopped by 4-6m because it's my preference not to use the infant seat (too easy to overuse it, imo) plus by that age I find that they prefer the convertible a bit more.

Beth

bubbaray
01-27-2010, 11:33 PM
4m with DD#1, 2m with DD#2. In total, 6m of living hell in the car. Switching to a converible? Priceless.

KrisM
01-28-2010, 12:25 AM
DS1 was 6 months and he outgrew the seat.

DD was 13 months and she outgrew her seat (same seat as DS1's)

DS2 is still in a borrowed Safeseat at 18 months :).

Kymberley
01-28-2010, 09:20 AM
4m with DD#1, 2m with DD#2. In total, 6m of living hell in the car. Switching to a converible? Priceless.

:hysterical: That's what I'm thinking will happen when I switch DS. He's starting to hate his seat. I'm still going to try to wait until Spring, but he might not let me.

arivecchi
01-28-2010, 11:14 AM
We are anti-infant car seat here, so we only used it for 6-7 months with DS1 and 4 months with DS2. If I ever had another kid, :hysterical:, I would skip the infant car seat.

willow33
01-28-2010, 12:47 PM
DD is still in her safeseat. She is 9 months old and 18lbs and I still feel like I can carry it okay. It's makes school pick-up MUCH easier and it's still very cold here. Plus I love my Mac Easy Traveller for running errands. I'm hoping she can remain in it until spring and then we will switch.

rosiegirl1
01-28-2010, 03:41 PM

:yeahthat:
Except I only have 1. I moved her at about 2m due to her reflux. She screamed and screamed and screamed in the SnugRide. Switched her to a Marathon and she was a happy camper.

I felt like an unsafe driver when driving with a screaming baby....

jackyl08
01-28-2010, 05:32 PM
I stopped taking it out of the car at about 2mths. She hated it and would only do short rides in it. Forget about putting it on the expensive car seat attachment for the BOB. :( Around 6mths, we got the Diplomat and it was a million times better. She now only rides in the Safeseat in a pinch or at the sitters. I have a Safeseat in Jenny. So pretty, but she hates it. She rides in the Marathon in my car and all is right with her little world. LOL!