PDA

View Full Version : car seat age limit in CA ?

brgnmom
01-27-2010, 06:29 PM
I read that in California, children are required to sit in car seats or booster seats until they are at least 6 years old or 60 pounds (http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/safeseat.html). To those of you who live in CA, or any state that also has a similar age/weight restriction: do you keep your kids in booster seats for even longer if the booster seats can safely secure them?

Just trying to think ahead, since we'll be back on the west coast shortly. Thank you!

brgnmom
01-27-2010, 06:32 PM
sorry I thought I was still in the car seat section-- can a moderator please move my thread? Thank you!

infomama
01-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Once out of child restraints, children under the age of 8 have to be in boosters in my state.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx

Tondi G
01-27-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm in CA and my DS was in a booster till he outgrew it by weight. I think he was 7. My little guy is 4.5 and has a lot more growing to do till he he outgrows a booster. He will be riding in one until he can sit with his back against the seat, feet on the floor!

crl
01-27-2010, 06:53 PM
We're in CA. My kiddo is 6 1/2 and actually still harnessed. I intend to move him into a highback booster at his request very soon. My goal is safety--I consider the law the bare minimum, no reason not to do better!

Catherine

elektra
01-27-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm not at the booster stage yet, but there is such a discrepancy between what the law is and what's safest. So while I should know the laws, that hasn't been my driving force in what I am doing with my kids and their seats.
I am in CA and your stats do sound right for what I have heard on boosters. But I definitely plan on keeping my kids in boosters longer if I feel that they are still too small to fit in the seat properly, even if they are over 6 and/or 60 pounds.

kdeunc
01-27-2010, 07:12 PM
My state(NC) is 8 years/80 lbs. I plan on keeping my 7 year old in his booster as long as I feel he needs it to sit safely. He is on the small to average size and I don't see him going without a booster for a while.

KpbS
01-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Here is an interesting reference--obviously double check the individual state laws for accuracy
http://www.elitecarseats.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=car_seat_laws

infomama
01-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Here is an interesting reference--obviously double check the individual state laws for accuracy
http://www.elitecarseats.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=car_seat_laws

This chart is inaccurate at least for my state.

AnnieW625
01-27-2010, 07:27 PM
I have spoken to a few CHP officers (one is a very good friend, and the other was at a health fair at my work) and they interpret the law as being 6 yrs. and 60lbs, but I am sure there are some that still interpret it as being 6 and or 60lbs. We have DD in Britax Frontiers (a harnessed seat which becomes a high back booster) and she will be in those seats until #2 outgrows whatever convertable seat we decide to get for it so at least until she is 7 yrs. old (if we go with the smaller option like a Britax Roundabout or Combi Cocorro vs. the larger BLVD, Radian, TF, etc.) and then at that time we'll most likely assess whether to keep her in another high back or move her to a quality low back like a Combi Dakota or Clek Olli.

One of my co workers daughters just graduated from a high back booster at 8 yrs. old and 60lb so it's nice to know that there are other people out there who are sticking to the "and" instead of the "or" in the CA law.

AnnieW625
01-27-2010, 07:29 PM
This chart is inaccurate at least for my state.

I found it a few weeks ago and if I ever have some time I want to go through and update the chart and make it into an excel spreadsheet or something for this site.

deborah_r
01-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Wow, so according to CA law, my 35 pound 6 year old is fine without even a booster? Am I reading it right?

I am starting to feel strange strapping my 1st grader into his harnessed seat after school, but I know it's safest. I didn't even think he qualified for a booster (we use a Nautilus in one car, and Frontier in the other, but use the harnesses.)

Annie, I cross-posted with you. I think 6 years and 60 pounds makes more sense, but it doesn't read that way.

AnnieW625
01-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Wow, so according to CA law, my 35 pound 6 year old is fine without even a booster? Am I reading it right?

I am starting to feel strange strapping my 1st grader into his harnessed seat after school, but I know it's safest. I didn't even think he qualified for a booster (we use a Nautilus in one car, and Frontier in the other, but use the harnesses.)

Annie, I cross-posted with you. I think 6 years and 60 pounds makes more sense, but it doesn't read that way.

Yes that is correct, but I think any younger CHP officer (not sure about the ones who've been around a long time) will tell you there is no way they'd recommend putting a 35lb 6 yr. old in a booster.

rlu
01-27-2010, 09:54 PM
I have spoken to a few CHP officers (one is a very good friend, and the other was at a health fair at my work) and they interpret the law as being 6 yrs. and 60lbs, but I am sure there are some that still interpret it as being 6 and or 60lbs.

One of my co workers daughters just graduated from a high back booster at 8 yrs. old and 60lb so it's nice to know that there are other people out there who are sticking to the "and" instead of the "or" in the CA law.

I thought it was and. That's what my mom told me years ago (she ran an in-home daycare) and since DS isn't there yet, I hadn't really researched it.

DS rides in either a Wizard or a harnessed Nautilus depending on the car.

eta: read OP's link. Huh. My nearly 6 yo is nowhere near 60 lbs! I thought you had to ride in a booster until you were like 8 or something. Guess not knowing the current law was better for me. Don't see any reason to take DS out of a harnessed situation until he outweighs it. Of course it helps we rarely see other kids in their boosters, so there's not a lot of pressure from him to make the switch.

brgnmom
01-27-2010, 11:11 PM
We're in CA. My kiddo is 6 1/2 and actually still harnessed. I intend to move him into a highback booster at his request very soon. My goal is safety--I consider the law the bare minimum, no reason not to do better!

Catherine

That's true -- I agree.

brgnmom
01-27-2010, 11:21 PM
I have spoken to a few CHP officers (one is a very good friend, and the other was at a health fair at my work) and they interpret the law as being 6 yrs. and 60lbs, but I am sure there are some that still interpret it as being 6 and or 60lbs. We have DD in Britax Frontiers (a harnessed seat which becomes a high back booster) and she will be in those seats until #2 outgrows whatever convertable seat we decide to get for it so at least until she is 7 yrs. old (if we go with the smaller option like a Britax Roundabout or Combi Cocorro vs. the larger BLVD, Radian, TF, etc.) and then at that time we'll most likely assess whether to keep her in another high back or move her to a quality low back like a Combi Dakota or Clek Olli.

It seems much more safe to keep kids in their booster seats until they are at least 6 years old AND at least 60 pounds. My son is on the smaller side currently (he's around 32 pounds and 50th percentile in terms of height, as of his 3-year check-up). Thank you everyone for responding. I was a little surprised to come across that CHP website's recommendations I made reference to in my OP, and wanted to assess how CA parents regard the carseat guidelines given by the CHP officers.

crl
01-28-2010, 12:07 AM
Here's a link to what appears to be the actual law in CA:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27360.htm

It's posted on the dmv website so presumably it has been copied accurately. Here's the provision:

Child Passenger Restraints: Requirements
27360. (a) A parent or legal guardian, when present in a motor vehicle, as defined in Section 27315, may not permit his or her child or ward to be transported upon a highway in the motor vehicle without properly securing the child or ward in a rear seat in a child passenger restraint system meeting applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards, unless the child or ward is one of the following:

(1) Six years of age or older.

(2) Sixty pounds or more.

(b) (1) A driver may not transport on a highway a child in a motor vehicle, as defined in Section 27315, without properly securing the child in a rear seat in a child passenger restraint system meeting applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards, unless the child is one of the following:

(A) Six years of age or older.

(B) Sixty pounds or more.

(2) This subdivision does not apply to a driver if the parent or legal guardian of the child is also present in the vehicle and is not the driver.

It says ONE of the following and then lists age 6 or older and 60 pounds or more. . . . . Again, I'm all for doing more than the minimum and DS at 6.5 is actually still harnessed, though we'll be moving him to a high back booster very soon.

Catherine

AnnieW625
01-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks Catherine, I forgot that the DMV page law reads a bit differently than the one on the CHP page. Unfortunately though I have seen it done with a younger children like 3 yrs. old being put in a low back booster because technically that is okay because it's a seat approved by the federal government! :nodno:

christiedavid3
01-28-2010, 04:12 PM
I found this one, appears to be correct...but check your state.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx

Joolsplus2
01-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Forget the state laws and think only of the laws of physics. A kid is NOT safe in a seatbelt alone till they are about 4 foot 9 to 5 feet tall. They have to sit all the way back on the seat, lapbelt must be low on the thighs, shoulderbelt must be on the shoulder, feet must be flat on the floor, and they must sit that way the whole trip. If the belt doesn't fit YOU that well, yes, you do need a booster, so no jokes ;) (Seriously, though after puberty, your hipbones are stronger and you can tolerate a less-good belt fit, but in future, be sure to buy a car that fits you safely, you short folks :)).

Harnessing should be ideally till 40 pounds, but boosters are rated from 30 for those wee skinny 5 and 6 year olds who are too tall for typical harnessed seats. A booster for kids younger than that is not recommended, they just can't sit still and they have a higher risk of head injuries.

Highback boosters provide significant head protection in side and rear impacts, so they should be used as long as kids fit in them (yes, my 10 and 12 year olds sit in one from time to time, especially in our van that has no side impact airbags and truly horrible rear impact safety ratings...)

:)

niccig
01-28-2010, 04:37 PM
We're in CA. We had our 5 year old check up the other week. Our Dr. said that the 6 or 60 lbs is ridiculous, and based on old information. He said to keep DS in a booster until he's 57" tall. Any shorter and the belt doesn't fit properly and can ride up on the stomach causing internal injuries. DS isn't even in a booster yet as he's not quite 40lbs. I did drive a friend's oldest DC the other week, he's nearly 7 and in my CRV the shoulder belt was hitting him on the neck. He needed a booster in my opinion. I like the Dr. saying 57" as when ever asks about it, I can tell them what the Dr. said - under 57" need a booster.

Melanie
01-28-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm CA and my son is 8 and rides in a booster 99% of the time (I carpool once a week and can't fit him and the other child and the booster at the same time).

I've been going on the 4 ft. 9 in. tall thing.

brgnmom
01-28-2010, 09:01 PM
thank you for letting me know about the height requirement that is advised by your kids' pediatricians in CA.

niccig
01-28-2010, 11:11 PM
thank you for letting me know about the height requirement that is advised by your kids' pediatricians in CA.

My Dr. is up on latest research and recommendations etc. I hope other families are listening to him.