PDA

View Full Version : Need rec. for a really good bib

alexmommy
01-27-2010, 08:38 PM
So DS is almost 9 mo and we are discovering the joys and messes of self-feeding. I'd like to get some bibs that are machine washable and cover a lot--think poncho-style with head and arm cutouts (I wish). A waterproof back would be nice. Oh, and inexpensive too, while we're at it. Any recommendations? TIA

I'm getting tired of completely changing him and practically hosing him down after every meal.

citymama
01-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Bumkins bibs are popular here. We loved our Sillybillyz bibs - they wear really well and can be used up to the preschooler stage!

poppy
01-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Our DS refuses all bibs, Bjorn, Bumkins... but actually enjoys putting on B-Bibs and it is def. the best bib we've ever used. Love it.

http://www.madebyoots.com/bbib.html

alexmommy
01-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks, those Bbibs look interesting--I like the arm coverage idea. I trust they come in boy colors too.

Where could I find Bumkins or Sillybillyz bibs?

tmarie
01-27-2010, 08:50 PM
these are my favorites, but they may not provide the range of coverate (arms) that you're looking for. good luck! :)

tmarie

poppy
01-27-2010, 08:51 PM
They come in white, blue, pink, purple and yellow. I would stay away from white and stick with purple. Boy and girl colors.

I got my bumkins on amazon.com; I've seen them at BRU--but it's pretty common so I'm sure it's at all the other big chains like Target.

crl
01-27-2010, 08:56 PM
DS rejected bibs. So for a long time, when we were eating at home, I just stripped his shirt off him. LOL.

Catherine

hannah
01-27-2010, 09:00 PM
We loved Bumkins here. Look for the ones with the long sleeves. And they can go in the washing machine on cool. I always hung ours up to dry.

alexmommy
01-27-2010, 09:16 PM
These all look good. Thanks! I will be ordering some soon. What about pocket bibs? Are they useful or just messier to clean? (It's amazing where DS can drop his slimy piece of banana...)

wimama
01-27-2010, 09:38 PM
I like Bumkins SuperBibs.

The Bumkins bibs have pockets, which catch a quite a bit of the mess. Are bibs are 3 years old now and still look great. I will still throw one on my DS if he eating something messy. They also squish up to take up virtually no space in a diaperbag. We used the Bumkins with the sleeves or A Better Bib bibs when he ate things with tomato sauce.

Indianamom2
01-27-2010, 11:11 PM
I have to say, that after discovering Bumkins, I'm hooked too. They aren't cheap, but they work and I like that they're easy to wash (so far, I've just hand washed them before I do the dishes and let them air dry) and they fold up super small to stick in the diaper bag.

Now if only they weren't so pricey!

spanannie
01-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Bumkins were my favorite with DC 1 and 2. Then, with DC 3, I discovered the Dex Dura Bib. I think they are far better than the Bumkins because they are impossible for the kid to take off. I really love them!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OH15LA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001QTKW4I&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0JJCM36PTSJP3J76F54Z

WatchingThemGrow
01-27-2010, 11:55 PM
We LOVE the bjorn bibs. They do a great job catching stuff and can be washed off REALLY easily, no waiting for them to dry. The Bumkins ones we have drive me nuts for that reason.

sunshine873
01-28-2010, 12:02 AM
I like the bumkins (both with and without sleeves) but am a bigger fan of bbib as previously mentioned. It's not waterproof, but that's never been a problem. DD is a sloppy eater & drinker, and the bbib has worked really well for her. I kind of like for the bib to soak up a little bit, just as long as it doesn't soak all the way through - and that hasn't happened with the bbib. I guess it must be thick enough.

KpbS
01-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Bumkins were my favorite with DC 1 and 2. Then, with DC 3, I discovered the Dex Dura Bib. I think they are far better than the Bumkins because they are impossible for the kid to take off. I really love them!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OH15LA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001QTKW4I&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0JJCM36PTSJP3J76F54Z

We used these as well (the Dex) and have loved them for years. I recently found a similar style at Target that is almost as good. But it has velcro instead of the sturdy snaps and just doesn't stay fastened as well.

billysmommy
01-28-2010, 12:09 AM
We loved the ones from a better bib http://www.abetterbib.com/

american_mama
01-28-2010, 01:27 AM
Love the Dex Durabib too, but all of my kids have been able to yank it downward and un-snap the snaps. Definintely not child-proof, but easy to clean, catches dropped food and slopped liquids all the time. Love them. In the car, I've also put pieces of food in the bib pocket, put kid in car seat, and let them self-feed out of the pocket.

My Walmart has them, sometimes called Sally Huss bibs or with "Sally Huss" signed somewhere on the bib, and I think I saw them at Target. I bought one in the last year and thought it seemed higher than I remembered, but I think it was $5ish.

strollerqueen
01-28-2010, 02:23 AM
Our DS refuses all bibs, Bjorn, Bumkins... but actually enjoys putting on B-Bibs and it is def. the best bib we've ever used. Love it.

http://www.madebyoots.com/bbib.html

Can he yank them off? Mine pulls them all off the second I put them on. But then, he yanks off hats, socks, and shoes, too.

nfowife
01-28-2010, 02:45 AM
I second (3rd) the dex bibs. I got all mine at walmart with the "sally huss" designs. They are great! I have about 10 of them and used them exclusively with my kids. They are machine washable, and you can rinse them in the sink and air-dry too. Love love love them!

sunshine873
01-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Can he yank them off? Mine pulls them all off the second I put them on. But then, he yanks off hats, socks, and shoes, too.

Our bbibs have snaps - so DD can't pull them off. To be perfectly fair, I don't think she really tries too. But I do have some velcro bibs and they're not very secure. The snaps are definitely more sturdy.

ohiomom1121
01-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Another Dex vote. I throw a couple in every baby gift and everyone tells me that's all they end up using. Walmart and Kmart carry them...I've never seen them at my Target. We either hand washed them or threw them in the dishwasher.