PDA

View Full Version : Spinning off a Sesame Street Discussion

Fairy
01-27-2010, 09:45 PM
I didn't wanna hijack the Desperate Houseplants thread, so I thought I'd start a new one. As a Sesame Street fanatic, I'm really disgusted with the 40th season for a few reasons. Now, there's alot to be happy about and to love, but I just feel like they're tumbling down such a sad path here in Season 40. Not that this is a new, the path had been enblazoned at least a few seasons ago. Some would even say with the advent of Elmo's World. Now, my 5yo still loves Sesame, and I'm very proud of that. I'm not saying it's bad for kids, in fact, I think it's one of the finest shows on the air for kids. But I do think there are things they don't do anymore that he's completely missing out on that makes me kind of sad. So, here are some thoughts if anyone wants to have a conversation about it.

Love It!
* Celebrity Lullabies with Ricky Gervais. Oh. My. GAWD. Possibly the funniest thing I've seen on TV -- any TV -- in months. Mayve even in the last year. I laughed so hard I was crying, and DS was in hysterics, too. I mean, seriously, the piece was brilliant. Believe it or not, there are folks out there who hated it and thought it was damaging to their kids. There's a blog on that somewhere, I'll try to find the link. But I loved this. So. Much.

* Season 40 Hidden Gems. Tehre are alot of these, at least one in every episode this season that's a throwback to the Old School episodes. I've been catching most of them, but some are OBSCURE, man. I mean really out there. Still, if you're interested, here they are --> http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Season_40_Hidden_Gems.

* Ep 1 of the season had every single actor. And boy was it cool to see them all. AND it referenced Mr. Hooper constantly with Big Bird calling the Habitat Guy all the wrong names (just like Mr. Looper, Pooper, etc.). Other than the ones who have passed away and Linda (no clue where she is) and Miles, everyone was there.

* The Street Stories. They're all really good this year.

* Chris. This guy is awesome. Adore him.

Hate It!
Almost everything else.
* Abby's Flying Fairy School sucks. I do think it's cool that the mouths are animated as if there was a hand inside their head, and I fully acknowledge that it can be an enriching piece with lots to appreciate for a child. But you can't tell me it's cheaper to animate than it is to have live puppets. I really think there's something missing with these.

* Please Murray, go away. Ovehita may stay. Murray must go.

* Bert & Ernie's Great Adventures. Not. A. Fan. What the hell is wrong with the live puppets? Nothing. I'd rather see Ernie & Bert reruns of old sketches forever than to see these claymation pieces anew.

* The "stay tuned" segments "hosted" by Murray. What we need bumpers within the show now? WTF?

* Another WTF with Murray is the number and letter wrap up at the end of the show being the same EXACT vid over and over with different audio dubbed in. Again, WTF?

* Fianlly, Zoe. I never liked Zoe. Ever. But she's grown on me, and this season's Zoe is a terrible refresh of the puppet. She's smaller, her eyes are smaller, her hair is weirder, and she's just all wrong. Apparently, she's from a different show or special and to get the most mileage out of the cost of that puppet, they're using it on this season. MISTAKE. And you'll notice, they shoot her very differently. She gets almost no real camera time. Ya know why? Cuz they know she's a terrible puppet.

Still with me? I'm impressed.

boolady
01-27-2010, 09:50 PM
I agree with you about everything except Murray:); however, I can't stand the introductions/bumpers, either. I really only like Murray doing his "Murray Had a Little Lamb" thing. And, I've always felt bad for Zoe, because she's been a second class citizen since they introduced Abby Cadabby, the love of my daughter's life (other than Tasha from Backyardigans).

chozen
01-27-2010, 10:00 PM
we dont much like alot of the changes they made, hate abbys fairy school & bert and ernies great adv. glad to see others agree about this new season.

DrSally
01-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Come to think of it, I haven't seen Zoe in awhile (we watch SS sporadically, and in bits and pieces). ITA, I wish there were more live puppets. I loved Ernie and Bert in puppet form. Just not the same in claymation, but it's better than the Flying Fairie school. I haven't seen the hidden gems. Do they play these during the regular show?

melrose7
01-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Totally agree. I don't like all the segments like Abby's fairy school, anything with Murray, and still on the fence with Ernie and Bert's great adventure. There seems to be less live puppet segments and my kids are finally watching more and paying attention more to the whole show than just Elmo's world. We try to check older ones on Sprout.

SnuggleBuggles
01-27-2010, 10:17 PM
I agree with you about everything except Murray:); however, I can't stand the introductions/bumpers, either. I really only like Murray doing his "Murray Had a Little Lamb" thing. And, I've always felt bad for Zoe, because she's been a second class citizen since they introduced Abby Cadabby, the love of my daughter's life (other than Tasha from Backyardigans).

:yeahthat: That's what I was coming to post! Glad I read your reply first. Love Murray Had a Little Lamb.

Beth

Maggie'sMom
01-27-2010, 10:33 PM
DD watches daily and loves Flying Fairy School and Bert and Ernie. She always starts saying no when Murray had a little lamb comes on, and then she comes back around for Elmo's world.