PDA

View Full Version : Are you part of a spin-off group from here?

bubbaray
01-27-2010, 11:59 PM
A post on car-seat.org got me thinking. I know a few years back, there was a spinoff group(s) from this board and things kinda got out of hand for a while. I don't recall hearing anything about that sort of thing in a long time.

If you are part of a spin off group, care to share what type? Geographical meet up group, subject matter group (CD, etc) or other???

KrisM
01-28-2010, 12:24 AM
I am a member of the co-op group and the swap group, but that's it.

Neatfreak
01-28-2010, 01:16 AM

Ditto. At least I think. I've never ended up using either of them!

strollerqueen
01-28-2010, 01:41 AM
Dunno'. Does Strollerswap count? :love5:

LexyLou
01-28-2010, 01:51 AM
I used to be a member of the co-op group but I never posted so I think I got booted.

But no scandalous groups.

bubbaray
01-28-2010, 01:53 AM
I thought SW was a stand-alone group.... Never thought of it as a spin off from here, though maybe it was before my time?

I was thinking of mommy meet-up groups, etc. I know that there were rumors before about "gossip" groups, but thought that that stopped a long time ago.

I am still a member of SW, though never post there. I used to be a member of the Coop board, but got the boot when I wasn't comfortable giving my home address (I have a different shipping address). I used to be a member of the baby bags group too, but again, that was a long time ago.

strollerqueen
01-28-2010, 02:21 AM
Oh, I think I know what you are talking about. Starting a group to talk about others just seems impossibly mean to me. And weird, too. Not something I would say I was proud to belong to, kwim?

MommyAllison
01-28-2010, 02:55 AM
I voted no, but I am on BBBSwap. Since that's open to any regular poster, I figured it didn't count?

citymama
01-28-2010, 03:17 AM
I voted no, but I am on BBBSwap. Since that's open to any regular poster, I figured it didn't count?

Yeah, me too. But that's about it.

billysmommy
01-28-2010, 07:31 AM
A few...the New England group, the co-op group and BBBswap.

mommylamb
01-28-2010, 07:44 AM
I'm on the DC area yahoo group, but we haven't actually gotten together yet or done anything. No gossip in that group:)

KHF
01-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Only co-op and BBB-Swap. No covert groups here. And I'm on Babybags and STROLLERSwap, but I think they're standalone, not affiliated with BBB. Other than Strollerqueen being on here, of course :-)

Jo..
01-28-2010, 09:19 AM
I am a member of ALL the covert groups.

If I'm not a member of yours yet, it's obviously a glaring omission, and you need to invite me ASAP. I forgive you.

wellyes
01-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Starting a group to talk about others just seems impossibly mean to me. And weird, too. Not something I would say I was proud to belong to, kwim?

I'm a member of the BBB New England group but I promise it's innocuous :).

JBaxter
01-28-2010, 09:58 AM

If I'm not a member of yours yet, it's obviously a glaring omission, and you need to invite me ASAP. I forgive you.

Jo...

Did you not remember the terms of the S&M group were to not reveal membership? Your NOT getting your flogging over this..

JTsMom
01-28-2010, 10:00 AM
I voted no before I thought about the swap group, but I never really post there anyway. I wish we had an Atlanta area group. I know TonFirst had checked for interest a while back, but I don't think anything ever came of it.

mudder17
01-28-2010, 10:02 AM
:hysterical:

Jo...

Did you not remember the terms of the S&M group were to not reveal membership? Your NOT getting your flogging over this..

elliput
01-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Jo...

Um, Jeana? I think you need to get in line with Jo. Wait... ah, cr@p!

mudder17
01-28-2010, 10:12 AM
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. ;)

fortato
01-28-2010, 10:14 AM

What is this board you are talking about?

And...I love my super duper secret offshoot board..... and the ladies therein.
(We'll be discussing this thread there, I'm sure.)

MartiesMom2B
01-28-2010, 10:37 AM

Get the ball gag ready.

Clarity
01-28-2010, 10:52 AM
I voted yes but mean just the co-op and swap groups.

elliput
01-28-2010, 11:31 AM
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. ;)

Hey! That's my line- http://www.bridalbargainsbook.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=239895

fortato
01-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Hey! That's my line- http://www.bridalbargainsbook.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=239895

LOL.... I went to look at my old posts on that board, and found my "Welcome back" thread instead.

C99
01-28-2010, 11:50 AM
I am on lots of spinoff groups, but the purpose of each is not to talk smack about what is said or who is saying it on the BBB. If such groups still exist, I am not privy to them.

Ceepa
01-28-2010, 11:52 AM
As an aside, Kristen, congratulations on your second little man! I just saw your siggy. :bighand:

JBaxter
01-28-2010, 11:54 AM
IF such groups exist Im sure they are groups of like minded women ( and possibly men) to discuss many things BBB related or not. I have met several ladies on this board I chat with online, facebook, email , inperson and on the phone. Heck I drove 3 hrs to visit with a group of friends for a afternoon. DH refers to my chat buddies as my invisible friends.

HallsofVA
01-28-2010, 12:08 PM
I seriously love the friends that I've made on this board who I have gone on to connect with on other boards as well. I've met just a small group of them in person, and wish I could meet them all.

This board is frankly just too large, and has a huge range of personalities and objectives on it which makes it difficult if not almost impossible to connect with people on a closer level, so I think spin-off groups are inevitable and necessary.

Reyadawnbringer
01-28-2010, 12:10 PM
I guess I am just too new to all this, but I am not aware of any other spin off groups let alone other boards... This board is all I know.

Laurel
01-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Totally.

Here's a hint: First rule of Fight Club...

Corie
01-28-2010, 12:53 PM
A few...the New England group, the co-op group and BBBswap.

GO New England BBB Moms yahoo group!!!! :)

Corie
01-28-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm a member of the BBB New England group but I promise it's innocuous :).

That's it. You're out.

SnuggleBuggles
01-28-2010, 01:23 PM
I guess I am just too new to all this, but I am not aware of any other spin off groups let alone other boards... This board is all I know.

I have 10,000+ posts and I still don't know about any of these other boards. Assuming I am not cool enough or something but that's ok. :) I like it here.

Beth

AnnieW625
01-28-2010, 01:28 PM
I joined a BBB SoCal group a few months ago on Yahoo, but we haven't done much. A few emails have been sent. I did meet up with Elektra and her kids a few months back and that's the only person from the board I have met in person.

I could never figure out how to become a member of the co-op board. I thought it was closed.

denna
01-28-2010, 01:29 PM
We had a BBB book club going that was nice for a time. But then ppl stopped reading the books and/or posting about what they read. It was fun for awhile and I still keep in touch with a few of the ladies from the board. I was also a member of BBBSwap and Co-op but stopped posting for awhile so I was purged.

hellokitty
01-28-2010, 01:33 PM
A long time ago, I think I had joined the swap and stroller swap group, but it was so long ago, I don't even remember anything about them or the links. I've actually been a member here for longer than what my username says, b/c I have gone through a couple of usernames, b/c I couldn't remember passwords, after a hiatus from this board.

elliput
01-28-2010, 02:50 PM
This board is frankly just too large, and has a huge range of personalities and objectives on it which makes it difficult if not almost impossible to connect with people on a closer level, so I think spin-off groups are inevitable and necessary.
:yeahthat: I don't see any difference between a spin off group here (for whatever purpose) and getting together with a small group of people from church/PTA/work/etc.

LarsMal
01-28-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm on the DC area yahoo group, but we haven't actually gotten together yet or done anything. No gossip in that group:)

This needs to change- the getting together part, not the gossip part!! ;)

LarsMal
01-28-2010, 02:59 PM
We had a BBB book club going that was nice for a time. But then ppl stopped reading the books and/or posting about what they read. It was fun for awhile and I still keep in touch with a few of the ladies from the board. I was also a member of BBBSwap and Co-op but stopped posting for awhile so I was purged.

:waving4: Hi Denna!

I was thinking of the book club the other day and how fun it was while it lasted!

LarsMal
01-28-2010, 03:01 PM
I got the latest DC area Yahoo group up and running. It's not very active, but hopefully that will change!

HallsofVA
01-28-2010, 03:08 PM
I got the latest DC area Yahoo group up and running. It's not very active, but hopefully that will change!

How does one join the DC area Yahoo group?? (Assuming Northern VA counts!)

jent
01-28-2010, 03:10 PM
GO New England BBB Moms yahoo group!!!! :)

:yeahthat:

Oops, I clicked "no" before I remembered about the New England group. Though I never post there b/c most of the discussion tends to be Boston-centered (except for this one chick from RI...).

I'm thinking of moving closer to Boston at some point, so I could be posting up a storm of questions soon!

JBaxter
01-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Well I am on a couple off shoot boards. Like I said in my other post there are like minded people who have a similar take on life. Just like chatting with your sister or bff. You get a little more personal about your kids, medical issues spouses etc.

Yup and there are posts I chat about because knowing my buds have the same take on things ... I can go say WTH were they thinking about and they have the same opinion. Do I gossip yup do I post things I can post here.. yup..can I ship and receive cloths as media mail and no one cares... yup do we do little suprises for one another ..yup . do I know when one of my lady buds goes into labor yup..Can I access their phone numbers on a list yup ...thats the point of a private board.

Its not a big deal just a little tighter knit than this board ,the s&m ,the swap or co op board.

Jenn98
01-28-2010, 03:48 PM
I've been around the BBB for over 5 years and I never understood why it's so taboo and secretive to be part of an OS group. It's not like those that are are A)Sacrificing their first born sons in crazy rituals, or B) solely exist to talk smack about others (this reminds me of that Carly Simon song 'You're so Vain'). I just don't get what the big deal is or why anyone cares?

Reyadawnbringer
01-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Well I am on a couple off shoot boards. Like I said in my other post there are like minded people who have a similar take on life. Just like chatting with your sister or bff. You get a little more personal about your kids, medical issues spouses etc.

Yup and there are posts I chat about because knowing my buds have the same take on things ... I can go say WTH were they thinking about and they have the same opinion. Do I gossip yup do I post things I can post here.. yup..can I ship and receive cloths as media mail and no one cares... yup do we do little suprises for one another ..yup . do I know when one of my lady buds goes into labor yup..Can I access their phone numbers on a list yup ...thats the point of a private board.

Its not a big deal just a little tighter knit than this board ,the s&m ,the swap or co op board.

I wish I could find a group like this... then maybe I wouldn't be going so crazy down here (in this "city") where no one likes me...

BargainMomforLuke
01-28-2010, 03:58 PM
I've been around the BBB for over 5 years and I never understood why it's so taboo and secretive to be part of an OS group. It's not like those that are are A)Sacrificing their first born sons in crazy rituals, or B) solely exist to talk smack about others (this reminds me of that Carly Simon song 'You're so Vain'). I just don't get what the big deal is or why anyone cares?

Well, you have daughters, so I'm not so sure you would understand.

I've actually never taken part in the sacrificial business but we do frequently try to barter our children for chocolate & other goodies. And we can say "F*&k ditty, f$%K, f$#K" & no one seems to raise an eyebrow.

elektra
01-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Like Annie said, she and I met up once. :)
I also joined the SoCal Yahoo group but I think we are all must be typical California fair weather fans and nobody has really organized anything.
I had no idea about the spin off boards! I must not be one of the cool kids because I have never been invited to participate in one. I'm assuming the "Fight Club" sends an invite via PM?

SnuggleBuggles
01-28-2010, 04:09 PM
For me it's almost a case of ignorance is (was) bliss. I always want to be liked and included so when I hear about "secret" groups that are by invite and I wasn't invited I take it personally. OTOH I really don't mind. But, knowing that they exist and that I wasn't wanted just kind of feels bad. I know I should be more grown up and mature but I am not. I do have a great network of IRL friends so that isn't lacking. It might be hard for some of you to understand but maybe others do.

I do remember a few years back when I just started being active here (I registered 2 years before I was really active) and there was a big old case of inside jokes and negativity. I didn't understand what the heck was going on and was pretty turned off. Luckily that went away and I think the boards are pretty pleasant now. I would hate to see that return.

Beth

KrisM
01-28-2010, 04:10 PM

Sounds nice.

I was thinking the other day that I seem to have moved away from my IRL friends a bit and need to figure out what I can do about that, either IRL or online.

fortato
01-28-2010, 04:11 PM

Hey... Were you not at Camp last summer? I vaguely remember the whole sacrificing the first born ritual of having the pukes. AND We never talked smack....nope.

If it weren't for off shoot boards, I wouldn't have the best friends I have now.

And...I wouldn't know the good and bad ways to make margaritas.

KpbS
01-28-2010, 04:17 PM
I do remember a few years back when I just started being active here (I registered 2 years before I was really active) and there was a big old case of inside jokes and negativity. I didn't understand what the heck was going on and was pretty turned off. Luckily that went away and I think the boards are pretty pleasant now. I would hate to see that return.

Beth

It's interesting to see how the board changes over time. I was here years ago before DS1, then barely active, and then gone for a long time. I came back before DS2. Different people, different dynamics.

I am not opposed to any private, off-shoot boards, but haven't been asked to join any either. :)

mommylamb
01-28-2010, 04:25 PM
This needs to change- the getting together part, not the gossip part!! ;)

Absolutely. I'd be up for it, so long as it's a weekend get together.

mudder17
01-28-2010, 04:34 PM

Hey I didn't say I was original! :love-retry:

Love ya! :heartbeat:

Jo..
01-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Well, you have daughters, so I'm not so sure you would understand.

I've actually never taken part in the sacrificial business but we do frequently try to barter our children for chocolate & other goodies. And we can say "F*&k ditty, f$%K, f$#K" & no one seems to raise an eyebrow.

Yes. the best part of o/s boards is that it's all like-minded women, so no censoring! ****ity **** **** **** piss! and all that...They are also great for fostering close friendships...the BBB is just so big, it's hard to really "KNOW" anybody. On a small offshoot board, you can make some very good friends.

ETA: oops, piss actually showed up!

Melanie
01-28-2010, 05:10 PM

LMAO!:hysterical:

megs4413
01-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Nope. :)

although I think I may still have a membership on swap? I think I'll go check!

Corie
01-28-2010, 05:37 PM

Oops, I clicked "no" before I remembered about the New England group. Though I never post there b/c most of the discussion tends to be Boston-centered (except for this one chick from RI...).

I'm the cool chick from RI. :)

Melanie
01-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Like Annie said, she and I met up once. :)
I also joined the SoCal Yahoo group but I think we are all must be typical California fair weather fans and nobody has really organized anything.

Do it! The thing is that those of us who have been around since it started, our babies are big now! Speaking for myself I don't have time for anything extra. I'm only an admin b/c someone who started the group made me one before they stopped without my asking! LOL. Even my "baby" is in school several days a week. ed it have kids in school now. Step in and set something up for sure! We used to go to Disney now and then, I think the zoo once or twice...but parks are great too. Fresh blood is needed (and speaking for OUR group, we won't sacrifice your son, it's just a figure of speech). ;)

oneplustwo
01-30-2010, 10:51 PM
I know I'm really late replying to this thread, but I'm in the NE BBB moms group and the co-op group. Neither are invitation only. If you're interested in joining the co-op group, look in the co-ops section of this board for the info on how to apply, or feel free to pm me for the info or with any questions. :)

MamaKath
01-30-2010, 11:57 PM
We used to have a pretty active local group, now I think it is pretty quiet though. :(

bubbaray
01-31-2010, 12:25 AM
I totally forgot about the book club.

We should start the book club up again. Seriously. Please.

I even have a suggestion for the first book -- Stephen Covey's "The Leader In Me". I have the parent guide on PDF that we could use.

Please. I need a book club! :)

KpbS
01-31-2010, 12:44 AM
I totally forgot about the book club.

We should start the book club up again. Seriously. Please.

I even have a suggestion for the first book -- Stephen Covey's "The Leader In Me". I have the parent guide on PDF that we could use.

Please. I need a book club! :)

I'd love to--let's get it going :)

srhs
01-31-2010, 06:35 PM

Me too. So I voted Yes. Sorry if I messed up the poll.

kep
01-31-2010, 07:56 PM

Hey... Were you not at Camp last summer? I vaguely remember the whole sacrificing the first born ritual of having the pukes. AND We never talked smack....nope.

If it weren't for off shoot boards, I wouldn't have the best friends I have now.

And...I wouldn't know the good and bad ways to make margaritas.

Yes to this, this, and this. :loveeyes: ;) I love my girls!

KrisM
01-31-2010, 08:17 PM
For me it's almost a case of ignorance is (was) bliss. I always want to be liked and included so when I hear about "secret" groups that are by invite and I wasn't invited I take it personally. OTOH I really don't mind. But, knowing that they exist and that I wasn't wanted just kind of feels bad. I know I should be more grown up and mature but I am not. I do have a great network of IRL friends so that isn't lacking. It might be hard for some of you to understand but maybe others do.

I agree with this. I have never been asked to join a group and it does make me a bit sad, although that's silly, really.

And, reading the comments here about making your best friends in these off-shoot groups can be hard to read as well. These are things I want as well.

It makes me feel like I'm in high school again and not quite in with the "cool kids" :).

Reyadawnbringer
02-01-2010, 10:44 AM
I agree with this. I have never been asked to join a group and it does make me a bit sad, although that's silly, really.

And, reading the comments here about making your best friends in these off-shoot groups can be hard to read as well. These are things I want as well.

It makes me feel like I'm in high school again and not quite in with the "cool kids" :).

:yeahthat: I feel this wsy too.

On the other hand. I would be up for the book club :D

caleymama
02-01-2010, 10:54 AM

I feel the same way when I read about PM mailboxes that are always full. I think in all the years I've been here I've never received an unsolicited PM. I've had replies to things I've sent, but that's it. Hey, I'm still here, though, and still love it. Just on the periphery, I guess. (Okay, I take that back - I just looked and I've had a few unsolicited PMs, but it's been a loooong time.)

I tried to start a Westchester/NY area group a couple of years ago but there were only a few people interested and everyone was pretty spread out. I guess maybe if I had kept up with it, it could have grown. Maybe I should try it again...

I am a member of the BBB Swap and Mama Swap (not sure if that still exists) groups. I had joined Corie's New England group a while ago but really am a lot farther away from all the goings on then is do-able, so I haven't kept up with that group.

Melanie
02-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Now this might not be the case and I've just not been invited to any new ones, but, in years past there were some...um...antagonist let's say members on BBB. I think that is when many of the groups started, and then they just stuck around.

boolady
02-01-2010, 11:04 AM

Beth

:yeahthat: to you and Kris M and caleysmama. I know I'm not the most active poster, but I always try and think of this place as somewhere where all are welcome, and as you said, it does kind of make you feel kind of bad. I am lucky enough, like you note, to have great IRL friends, so this only comes into my head when, for example, we have a poll about it. Of course, I also seem to be a master threadkiller, so maybe that has something to do with it...

Reyadawnbringer
02-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Of course, I also seem to be a master threadkiller, so maybe that has something to do with it...

:hysterical: Sometimes I feel like a threadkiller too :p Glad to know I am not alone!

boolady
02-01-2010, 11:12 AM
:hysterical: Sometimes I feel like a threadkiller too :p Glad to know I am not alone!

When you're feeling low, start a thread. I'll respond, as long as you promise to!

Reyadawnbringer
02-01-2010, 11:22 AM
When you're feeling low, start a thread. I'll respond, as long as you promise to!

:boogie: Sweet!

DrSally
02-01-2010, 01:06 PM

I haven't been around as long as some others, but I do remember when a group of people from an offshoot group came to the main BBB to post a bunch of pictures of sheep, and that's all. It was odd. I guess it was an inside joke that meant that some members of the main BBB were "sheep", meaning that they went along with the "herd". At least that's what I gleaned from the thread.

The people who started the thread said it meant nothing and went on to defend the existence of their offshoot group (2 separate issues IMO). I have no problem with offshoot groups of like-minded moms who want to chat more personally together. But, I felt that a group of people who don't post much coming to the main BBB to make an inside joke about people not part of that group was mean spirited. I think that may be why there is some controversy over off shoot boards.

At the time, I didn't know anything about offshoot boards (and am not part of any now), so I didn't know what was going on. My read of that incident may be off, but that's what I got from the thread. Again, I don't have any problem with the existence of offshoot boards, but just like any group/subgroup, I may not always appreciate their behavior.

jse107
02-01-2010, 01:09 PM

Me too! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has felt this way! (Now back to all my other neuroses...)

Corie
02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
I had joined Corie's New England group a while ago but really am a lot farther away from all the goings on then is do-able, so I haven't kept up with that group.

You need to come to something at least once in awhile!!

I'm the only one in Rhode Island (I think?) and it seems like I drive
at least an hour for most meet-ups. I don't love the hour drive
there and hour drive home but I do it to see friends. :)

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2010, 01:12 PM
I haven't been around as long as some others, but I do remember when a group of people from an offshoot group came to the main BBB to post a bunch of pictures of sheep, and that's all. It was odd. I guess it was an inside joke that meant that some members of the main BBB were "sheep", meaning that they went along with the "herd". At least that's what I gleaned from the thread.

The people who started the thread said it meant nothing and went on to defend the existence of their offshoot group (2 separate issues IMO). I have no problem with offshoot groups of like-minded moms who want to chat more personally together. But, I felt that a group of people who don't post much coming to the main BBB to make an inside joke about people not part of that group was mean spirited. I think that may be why there is some controversy over off shoot boards.

At the time, I didn't know anything about offshoot boards (and am not part of any now), so I didn't know what was going on. My read of that incident may be off, but that's what I got from the thread. Again, I don't have any problem with the existence of offshoot boards, but just like any group/subgroup, I may not always appreciate their behavior.

That was the event I was referring to earlier. That happened shortly after I started posting here and it was a huge turn off. I am so glad that that hasn't happened since.

Beth

fortato
02-01-2010, 01:28 PM
You shouldn't take it too personally that you weren't invited to an offshoot board.
I know that 2 I am on are not taking new members because they are just too big already.
The thing I like about the boards I'm on is that you get to know everyone that is there, and no one gets lost in the group... kwim?
You get over 50 people on a board, and you lose the personal touch.

If you really want to be on an offshoot board, start one yourself with the people on this board that you know, or want to know better.

DrSally
02-01-2010, 01:53 PM
That was the event I was referring to earlier. That happened shortly after I started posting here and it was a huge turn off. I am so glad that that hasn't happened since.

Beth

Yeah, I mean it only happened once that I know of, but once is enough to make it stick out in your mind. You're not paranoid (or "vain") if they really are talking about you :wink2:

Thankfully, it's not an ongoing issue.

mommylamb
02-01-2010, 04:25 PM

Wow... that must have happened before my time on these boards. That is so childish.

kep
02-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Wow... that must have happened before my time on these boards. That is so childish.

The BBB was a bit different back then. It's changed a LOT since then. There is a huge number of new posters, and a lot of the "regulars" have dropped off for various reasons.

I began lurking here in 2003 after I had my first baby (under a more identifiable username). I became a regular poster a couple of years later. I used to post much more often in years past, but the combination of growing security concerns and a huge turnover of new people has had me reading more than posting.

Also, the BBB is SUCH a public board. Anyone remember the Great Cloth Diaper Scandal and Fairy's security briefs? A big reason I'm part of an off-shoot group is because I love being able to share photos (tons of photos) and post about very personal issues while in a private, password protected forum. I share things there that I wouldn't dream of sharing on a super public board like the BBB.

fortato
02-01-2010, 08:40 PM

Was it Sheep or Squirrels?? Either way, it was hurtful and just plain childish.

kep
02-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Was it Sheep or Squirrels?? Either way, it was hurtful and just plain childish.

It was sheep. Ewe.

kep
02-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I feel the same way when I read about PM mailboxes that are always full. I think in all the years I've been here I've never received an unsolicited PM. I've had replies to things I've sent, but that's it. Hey, I'm still here, though, and still love it. Just on the periphery, I guess. (Okay, I take that back - I just looked and I've had a few unsolicited PMs, but it's been a loooong time.).

I have received maybe 1-2 unsolicited PM's ever. The whole time I have been here.:rolleyes:

Tracey
02-01-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm not a member of an offshoot board. I certainly don't have a problem with them unless someone comes to the main board and says "Hey, I'm making an offshoot board..who wants to join?" and then proceed to accept and reject like some kind of soroity rush. I have been around long enough to remember all of it...the sheep thing, the diaper pics scandal, the flagger fiasco, ad nauseum. I'm still here though and this community has been very valuable to me and I contribute where I can. I imagine most of those offshoot boards imploded as some of those folks were pretty toxic. I like the tone of the boards these days :).

jent
02-01-2010, 09:34 PM

And here I thought it was me. Threadkillers, unite!

strollerqueen
02-02-2010, 02:23 AM

Hey, I'm inviting you to join Strollerswap! And that's as cool as it gets! :wink2:

strollerqueen
02-02-2010, 02:24 AM
:yeahthat: I feel this wsy too.

On the other hand. I would be up for the book club :D

You are welcome to join us any time! :love5:

strollerqueen
02-02-2010, 02:26 AM
it was sheep. Ewe.

lol! :rotflmao:

caleymama
02-02-2010, 09:03 AM
I didn't mean to make it sound like PMs were all that important - I was mocking myself and trying to be sarcastic, like "offshoot board! heck, I barely even have off board conversations!" It seemed like PMs were a natural stepping stone to fostering the off-board friendships talked about here, but I guess not for everyone. That's the only reason I mentioned them in connection with offshoot boards.

I don't sit and stew about any of this. I'd have wasted a lot of time over the past 6 years if I did, and I wouldn't be here if I had negative feelings about this place or the people. I don't mind being more under the radar and to a degree am that way on purpose, avoiding the more opinionated or divisive topics. If like-mindedness is a good indicator of how well you'd like to get to know someone, it's tough to gauge when someone isn't terribly vocal and doesn't put themselves out there. I enjoy being a part of this board and I get a lot out of it, off board friendships or not. I get that some people click with others and in no way do I take others' decisions to be friends off the board personally. I would never begrudge anyone a friendship, here or IRL. For me, it was more the realization that I've been hanging out here for a while and during that same time others have been able to take connections they've made here and turn them into wonderful, closer or even IRL friendships. That's a good thing! But who wouldn't feel a little pang of wistful jealousy when hearing that?

pinkmomagain
02-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Oh, I remember the sheep. Must've happened near the time I joined in 2005.

mommylamb
02-02-2010, 10:27 AM
T Anyone remember the Great Cloth Diaper Scandal and Fairy's security briefs?

Ok, curiosity is getting the better of me. What is the Great Cloth Diaper Scandal????

Reyadawnbringer
02-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Ok, curiosity is getting the better of me. What is the Great Cloth Diaper Scandal????

OMG, I know! Seriously, I am sooo curious....

mom2binsd
02-02-2010, 10:38 AM
I remember some of that drama too, I was new to message boards in general and found it a little high schoolish, but the reason I'm on this board it for the broad knowledge of all the members.

I've never been a part of the offshoot group but oh well, I spend too much time on here as it is!!! I do have a swap membership and have sold to some very nice folks here.

Melanie
02-02-2010, 10:55 AM
OMG, I know! Seriously, I am sooo curious....

I'm assuming people are referring to when a creepy "adult" site used pictures that had been posted on parenting boards of people's children in cloth diapers. :( It really made everyone skittish about what photos they post of their children and brought to light just how 'open' the internet is on a board like this.

KrisM
02-02-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm assuming people are referring to when a creepy "adult" site used pictures that had been posted on parenting boards of people's children in cloth diapers. :( It really made everyone skittish about what photos they post of their children and brought to light just how 'open' the internet is on a board like this.

yep http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=255812&highlight=delete+fetish

cdlamis
02-02-2010, 11:30 AM

:yeahthat: That event bothered me so much! And, I was so disappointed in those that participated since I looked up to some of them as members of this board and fellow moms. I was sad that they took time out of their day to come back here just to poke fun of someone (everyone?) here. Glad it hasn't happened since and they have moved on.

mommylamb
02-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Oh my God, that makes me sick. The only pictures I've ever posted on this board were for the thread about what celebrity you look like. I posted two of me, one of which had DS in it (totally clothed), and of course my avatar... but this is a good warning about not posting anything else like that.

KBecks
02-02-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm not a groupie. Never been invited and too lazy to start a group.
I like coming here though....

Corie
02-02-2010, 03:09 PM
:yeahthat: That event bothered me so much! And, I was so disappointed in those that participated since I looked up to some of them as members of this board and fellow moms. I was sad that they took time out of their day to come back here just to poke fun of someone (everyone?) here. Glad it hasn't happened since and they have moved on.

Reminds me of the movie 'Mean Girls'.

I always assumed those women were very insecure if they somehow felt the
need to post pictures of sheep to make themselves feel more important and belittle
others.
That's not really a group that I care to be a member. I'd be embarrassed to
call those women my friends. My friends act like adults and don't intentionally
try to make others feel bad.

mamicka
02-02-2010, 04:01 PM

I always assumed those women were very insecure if they somehow felt the
need to post pictures of sheep to make themselves feel more important and belittle
others.
That's not really a group that I care to be a member. I'd be embarrassed to
call those women my friends. My friends act like adults and don't intentionally
try to make others feel bad.

Very well-said, Corie. I remember the sheep. The think that bugged me about it the most was that I didn't know who was part of that group & who wasn't. Those are people I don't care to be friendly with. It's probably good that I don't know, but part of me would like to.

strollerqueen
02-03-2010, 05:57 AM
yep http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=255812&highlight=delete+fetish

Just a warning...back when it was happening, I googled that term, since I had never heard of it. I was slammed with so much porno spam! It popped up constantly after that for several weeks, Ugh. Be careful.

hellokitty
02-03-2010, 09:49 AM

That is the sad part about internet message boards. I have found that almost every message board I have ever participated in usually goes through some growing pains where, "mean girls" start up drama. There is usually a big blow up, ppl leave, they find out that private groups had been formed gossiping about certain members on the original board, feelings get hurt, new ppl come and it's kind of forgotten, but then it seems to cycle again. I remember when it was a lot more cliquey here at BBB, I like the group of women who are here now, b/c while there are those who, "know" one another, it doesn't seem like ppl try to act exclusive and snotty.

I belonged to one message board though elsewhere where the, "mean girls" (And guy, one of the husbands always posted and he was a real a-hole who was always trying to stir the pot, and he was basically an ape who hung out to keep an eye on his wife, how sad is that?) were basically like internet bullies. It got to the point where a group of us just decided to leave and start our own board after Obama won the election. The "mean girls," who were anti-obama took it out on those of us who pro-obama and let their true colors show by throwing around a lot of bigoted comments, and going out of the way to make it personal on a public msg board and acting like they were entitled to make racist remarks and those of us who had a problem with it were the ones with the problem, not them. Our spinoff board has actually been a very peaceful one, b/c everyone is pretty open minded and we don't want the drama from the original board that ran us out. We've been happy, the ones who left were the ones who were constantly getting ganged up on by the main clique. What's funny is that the original board has turned on it's own, "members" now and they are still bitter that many of us left. If every a troll shows up, they automatically claim it is one of us who have come back to cause trouble, which we think is really entertaining (it's not one of us, it's just that they are the types who a troll would really enjoy antagonizing). They claim that we were immature to leave, but really after yrs of dealing with their BS, we just got sick of it. Now they are finding that it's a very slow and boring board, b/c they pretty much always agree with each other and even if they disagree, they don't feel like they can say anything w/o being cast out of the group, which says a lot about their, "friendships."

I don't know what it is about female-female dynamics that causes this pattern. Being in a female dominated profession (RN), I am beyond sick of the catty behavior that I had to put up with when I was working, esp from older nurses who basically, "eat their young." There is always a, "mean girl" group of nurses everywhere I have ever worked. I actually prefer working with male nurses so I don't have to deal with that kind of BS, b/c the guys don't seem to have these type of issues at work.

Reyadawnbringer
02-03-2010, 09:58 AM
I don't know what it is about female-female dynamics that causes this pattern.

This is the reason I have never had a group of girlfriends. Too much drama usually.