PDA

View Full Version : If a credit card co. suspects fraud...

strollerqueen
01-28-2010, 01:53 AM
Shouldn't they contact you first? Or is that not the norm? I am just getting so sick of this happening over and over and over...Was planning to use the card on the week-end. So I called on Friday to make sure they rec'd our payment, and that everything was OK. Just got the automated recording, stating our balance, credit available, etc. Everything seemed fine. Saturday I took the kids to the museum, then lunch. And, shockeroo, the credit card was declined! GRRR....I was fortunate that I had cash to cover it. I called the company when I got home, and the guy said the card was declined due to "suspicious activity." He rattles off all these random charges to overseas websites, that had been going on all week! Not charges we made. WHY wasn't I notified? Instead of contacting us, they just continued to decline everything. ow suspicious is a kid's museum lunch, anyway? This isn't the first time we've been left in a pickle like this, either We even got caught out of town with our gas card cancelled. This--because their Fraud Dept. said someone *might* have gotten our number, and *might* use our card (even though it never happened!) Happened to me another time after I used my card to order from TicketMaster, then another time because they said someone hacked the corporate computer at Marshall's with everyone's data, etc. etc. etc. Then it takes weeks for them to issue a new one! GRRRR...anyone else have this happen? Seems like our credit cards are very unreliable these days!

Penny's Pappa
01-28-2010, 02:04 AM
First, sorry about your ordeal. I know that can be a scary situation and you'd think more companies would be more proactive about preventing and/or detecting fraud.

Personally, though, I have had the opposite experience. When I was with MBNA (now Bank of America I think), they once called me to verify that I had actually made a particular purchase -- which I had, but it was outside my normal spending habits.

In a separate incident, my card was actually stolen and used to make >$1000 worth of purchases. I noticed I had lost it and called them. They confirmed the purchases were highly suspicious, had their fraud division call me back IN LESS THAN 15 MINUTES, credited my account 100% no questions asked, closed that account, opened a new one, and sent me a new card that arrived later that week.

MBNA was great. You could call them at 2am (to avoid being on hold) and you'd always get a chipper service rep ready to wait on you hand and foot.

ETA: ::knocks on wood::

mytwosons
01-28-2010, 07:45 AM
I had the same thing happen a couple years back. When I called to find out why the card was declined, they acting like it was no big deal and told me the replacement cards had already been sent out. WTF?!? They could mail new cards, flag the current account to decline all charges, but not find time to contact me?!? Needless to say I don't do business with them anymore.

mommylamb
01-28-2010, 07:46 AM
I use my Amex almost exclusively because of their great customer service. They always call if they suspect anything. I also check my statement on line every few days so I can keep up with how much I've spent for the month.

Sorry that happened to you.

AngelaS
01-28-2010, 07:47 AM
The time my cc was used fraudlently, it was used TWICE on the East Coast at the same time I was using it in the midwest. After the first two charges, they denied it the third time they tried to use it and called me to see if I'd been on the East Coast using my card.

I believe I had a new card in my hand within about 5 days. This was with Chase.

veronica
01-28-2010, 07:52 AM
I had it happen to our Visa/debit card and Amex and both called immediately. Once it was a Sunday, and the Visa had been charged a penny and then a larger charge so they called to verify them and it was fraud. The amex was last week when we used it to make a purchase that was large and they called to verify. I have never had them cancel a card first and then tell me...that would peeve me too!

sunshine873
01-28-2010, 08:00 AM
Yikes! That would make me mad too!

My CC company (USAA) calls if they suspect fraud. They confirm the questionable charges and go from there. It usually works out really well (unless we're away on a trip and don't get the call.) But even that is fixable. They freeze the account until they hear from us and if the charges are good, they'll just open everything back up.

I definitely agree that they should contact you. Oh, and if you call to check your account, I would expect that the fraud alert should flag your call & immediately send you to a customer service rep.

I'd ask them what their policies are. Maybe it's time to shop for a new credit card company?!?

KrisM
01-28-2010, 09:09 AM
I have a Chase card and while they do call, it's not until AFTER they start declining.

And, I really don't think it's because of "suspicious activity", since it happens EVERY November. Seriously. This year it was between my dinner with a friend and Walmart 30 minutes later. Hmmm. And, when I called, I had to verify and all the purchases were mine and from my normal places - grocery, gas, Amazon.

I hate it and keep meaning to find a better card.

lchang25000
01-28-2010, 09:21 AM
I have a Capital One Credit card and they have called me on 2-3 occasions when they suspected fraud/suspicious activity (big purchases). One time is was because someone had made a big purchase in another country. We immediately cancelled the credit card and filed a fraudelent report and Capital One credited that money back to our account right away. They seem to be very on top of things when it comes to that which makes me feel very safe. Sorry to hear you're going through this. Hope everything gets resolved soon.

MontrealMum
01-28-2010, 09:24 AM
I've had this happen three times now, and I'll agree that some companies handle it better than others.

The first time - and this was quite a few years ago - the "suspicious activity" was my having spent a "large amount" ($150) in a short period of time (2 hours) in stores "in close proximity to each other". Card was flagged and I wasn't called. Was declined 5 days later when I used it again. Where was all this suspicious activity? The MALL. Fine. Don't have that card anymore. ;) Can't deal with dumb.

2nd time was with one of the companies mentioned above and they did call ASAP and got the replacement card out very quickly. They were great to work with and I was a happy customer.

3rd time was this summer when I went home for a funeral, was travelling by myself with DS, and my card was flagged and blocked - and the account closed (which they are actually not allowed to do) - on a Friday evening. I was planning on leaving to drive back up here that weekend. I received no warning, no call, nothing. Their customer service more than sucked - it was abominable. The woman I was dealing with while in the US was a complete and utter beyotch!!! When I returned to Canada and went into the bank (it was a bank card) I related the incident to them and they were shocked. A note was made on the file ;) If you search here you'll find my BP on the whole incident. I haven't cancelled the card for credit rating reasons, but if/when we move you can bet I'm switching to another bank (it was a bank card).

You have my sympathy - I realize credit card fraud is HUGE, but a little customer service goes a long way, KWIM?

JTsMom
01-28-2010, 10:03 AM
We've always been contacted, even though there was no fraud- just us spending in an unusual way. Actually, that just happened last night! I did a huge stock up trip to TJ's and WF's, then went to Ikea. They did not decline anything, but maybe they would have if I'd stopped at a 4th place- not sure.

khm
01-28-2010, 10:08 AM
It's gone both ways for me. I've been called to verify, and I've simply been declined and had to call myself.

I think a lot of the time, no person is involved. A computer and some complicated equations "track" and look for odd spending. If it occurs, it cuts the account off. At that point, you may or may not get tossed into a queue of people to be called by a real human. ;)

My card kept getting cut off and it WAS me doing regular online shopping. It was aggravating. The last time though, it was compromised. I was all ready to yell at the guy when he started asking if I'd ordered a dozen or so downloadable computer games. Uhhh, no.

trales
01-28-2010, 10:41 AM
MBNA would just deny us use of our card if we tried to travel with it without giving them our itinerary and dates. Denied at a gas station ect. I got rid of it, have a Barclay's I rarely use, no problems yet and my Amex which I love. Amex has the best customer service.

strollerqueen
01-28-2010, 03:54 PM
"my card was flagged and blocked - and the account closed (which they are actually not allowed to do) - on a Friday evening.

What part are they not allowed to do? Is this a Canadian law, or US law? I am still mad about them doing this so many times, and I want them to stop!

Oh, and to the PP's, I did ask why I wasn't notified. The guy said "Whatever. Let's move on." I really had a lot more to say to that, but DH was standing right there, and more concerned about all the fraudulent charges, so...

MontrealMum
01-28-2010, 04:56 PM
They're not allowed to close your account without your knowledge/consent according to the fraud manager that I eventually talked to. They can only freeze it. Don't know whether that's a Can. or Am. thing, but I do know that banks operate quite differently up here. This particular bank has the policy of informing you by letter that the account was comprimised, which is why I didn't know it had been blocked until I went to use the card. Letter? Come on! That was just for that company though, my other Can. card called me upon seeing suspicious activity ASAP.

I will say that this year this has happened to me twice and there were actually fraudulant charges both times. Montreal has quite a problem with identity theft and setting up dummy atms etc for stealing info. It's been on our National news quite a few times now. I think companies have gotten better at interpreting a shopper's normal activity, and calling to tell them you're going on a trip - and where - helps too. At least it's helped me. Big ticket purchases are problems too---not my $150 at the mall, but the $1500 we tried to spend on DS' nursery furniture etc.. Not sure how to avoid that one, except to expect to make a call at the checkout.

niccig
01-28-2010, 05:02 PM
We get automated messages on our voice mail saying there are suspicious activity and to call a number. I call and have to say whether the charge was us or not. I do use our cards at online stores based in UK and Australia, and that must look suspicious. DH has had his card denied when we were traveling, that was annoying - yes the card was used in Italy as we're in Italy. He's actually called and said any Australia charges are done by us, and that has helped a little.