PDA

View Full Version : Valentine Day Gifts - what are you getting for your spouse and what do you want?

kozachka
01-28-2010, 01:32 PM
I already have a Valentine day gift for DS (red LL Bean backpack with shark), most because he could use a new backpack, not because we normally give him a large gift on this day. He'd also probably get some candy.

I want a facial or some other spa treatment for myself. DH got me one for New Year and I loved every moment of it. Hopefully our J will have a special like they did for the winter holidays. If not, than I'd be happy to get a red orchid (http://gifts.redenvelope.com/flowers/RedHotBabyOrchid-30001876?viewpos=34&trackingpgroup=rrhim&tile=HeroSpot&ref=redgaffemail20per25per100_PayPal+Shopping&prid=GAFF20p25PayPal) and go to the movies and out for drinks with DH. And I am pretty sure I'd also get flowers from my boys.

Unfortunately, I am drawing blank as to what to get for DH. I don't think he wants another sweater or a shirt. And I've already got him two pairs of nice cuff links, which he never wears. He's lost every single cigar item that I bought for him and no longer smokes that often. He is not into sports, except for tennis and fishing, if you can call it a sport. Also, DH tends to just go out and buy whatever he wants so I have to figure out something he has not thought of yet. Please share your ideas, and inspire me.

DebbieJ
01-28-2010, 01:39 PM
we don't do the whole valentine's thing.

Jen841
01-28-2010, 01:43 PM
DH - Picture from Picture People (used coupon) and Photo Mug (CVS 25% off sale)
Kids - New Sigg bottles (a need, order for Christmas and did not arrive in time)
Grandparents - Picture People 5X7 each, Photo Coffee Mugs (again CVS)

Also for DH and Grandparents - handprint coffee mugs DIY style at home

Neighbors - kids to decorate a jar to kill with Hershey Kisses

For anyone at my house- heart shaped cookie or cake by the kids

What do I want? A happy and healthy family. A new set of running headphones would be nice too.

NEW
I forgot, I am gifting myself with Charlie Brown Be My Valentine. I want to watch it with my boys. I have them hooked on the CB holiday specials : )

C99
01-28-2010, 01:46 PM
My birthday is the week before St. Valentine's Day, so that's really the only gift-giving occasion we observe in February. :-) I might give my kids cards or cookies, but that's about it.

AnnieW625
01-28-2010, 01:53 PM
I'll get DH some chocolate.

We traditionally don't celebrate Valentines Day by exchanging gifts. Our anniversary is on Feb. 8th. We go to dinner on or around or anniversary so we never have to go out on Valentine's Day:).

I think we are going to buy ourselves a new computer desk so that will be our anniversary gift to each other.

DD and I will make Valentine's cards for DH, and our immediate family. We'll probably also make some valentines cookies or cup cakes. DD doesn't like chocolate.

wendibird22
01-28-2010, 01:54 PM
I get DH "beer for a year" membership at the local microbrewery every year. He usually gets me roses and cooks a lovely dinner. Honestly I'd like to tell him no roses...way too over priced...but my birthday is 4 days later so I can't expect him to come up with another idea.

sste
01-28-2010, 01:57 PM
PP, have him get the roses at costco if you are a member!

This year, I really want someone to make me iced sugar cookies. This is a pipedream, unforutnately. DH gets all kinds of pressure at work from the nurses he works with that he is cheap and he needs to buy me jewelry or expensive electronics. I am not into either of those things. In fact, I had to lobby aggressively against these well-meaning nurses for my desired holiday gift - - a seltzer maker.

SnuggleBuggles
01-28-2010, 01:59 PM
None celebraters here. My dh loves me for that. I used to be very high maintenance on V-day but reevaluated. I told him so long as I feel loved and appreciated during the year then we can skip Valentine's day and focus on our anniversary instead.
I do make treats and do things with the kids though.

Beth

mecawa
01-28-2010, 01:59 PM
We go out to dinner without the kids.

SM23Mama21
01-28-2010, 02:00 PM
I always get DH some cologne and a card. He always forgets to get me anything, but I refuse to stop trying because it is one of my favorite "holidays". I'll probably get DS one of those singing stuffed animals. He loves to dance to the music.

If DH does happen to remember this year, I really like the red orchid that kozachka posted, or a new pair of earrings, or even just a nice card.

GaPeach_in_Ca
01-28-2010, 02:00 PM
We don't really celebrate V-day, but I have hinted that I want a Clarasonic for Valentine's. It was a bit of a joke, though. DH said maybe he'll get it for me for President's Day. :p

If he doesn't purchase it, I will, so what's the difference?

We are taking a parent day off together on the 15th, so that's like a joing V-day present. Kids are going to daycare/winter break camp and we're staying off work. Yippee!

Ceepa
01-28-2010, 02:02 PM
We usually do a nice dinner and every year he has a dozen roses delivered. Last year I bought him a new red silk tie and some other small things.

kozachka
01-28-2010, 02:16 PM
We traditionally don't celebrate Valentines Day by exchanging gifts. Our anniversary is on Feb. 8th. We go to dinner on or around or anniversary so we never have to go out on Valentine's Day:).

DH proposed on Feb. 15th so it is sort of an anniversary, too. We normally go out to dinner but this year I'd rather go to a movie (bought 2 tickets at Costco for ~$15) and drinks. I have not been to a cinema since this summer or maybe even longer.

Corie
01-28-2010, 02:16 PM

We don't either.

klwa
01-28-2010, 02:19 PM
We generally just go out sometime in the general time of Valentines for supper without the kids along.

kozachka
01-28-2010, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I'd have to tell DS to take DH there. Otherwise, DH will get me some flowers from a grocery store. He has yet to master ordering flowers (or anything) online.

momof2girls
01-28-2010, 02:20 PM
we don't celebrate it either. I tell him not to give me flowers but he usually does anyway. I do enjoy the kids having v-day.

kozachka
01-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Also for DH and Grandparents - handprint coffee mugs DIY style at home

Can you post a link or instructions as to how to do this at home. DH still uses the Valentine day coffee mug that I gave him years ago, so I think he'd enjoy a handmade from DS and I even more.

infomama
01-28-2010, 02:25 PM
We exchange cards and DH will get me (and our moms) each a box of chocolate covered strawberries.

Reyadawnbringer
01-28-2010, 02:27 PM
For DH I am making a photobook of all the pics of him and DS together for DS's first year. We are also being afforded the rare treat of going out for dinner while my bio mom watches DS.

For me, I am hoping DH gets me the mommy necklace on Etsy that he wanted to get me for christmas, but didn't because he didn't realize the leadtime. If not that, then SOMETHING at the spa would be wonderful.... I so need that break.

For grandparents and such we are giving them the handprint clay molds of DS's hands.

Seitvonzu
01-28-2010, 02:45 PM
we don't really exchange gifts but i DO make dh dinner. i like to cook and don't like to go out for holidays...so it works for us. i usually do something a little fancy, but not terribly heavy (either the valentine's menu from cooking light or a repeat favorite strawberry pasta) and then i traditionally make DH white chocolate creme brulee :)

we eat on our mikasa parchment red china dishes. and drink for the crystal! it's fabulous :)

billysmommy
01-28-2010, 02:58 PM
We celebrate as a family
Everyone makes a valentine for each other and the boys and I bake a big heart-shaped chocolate cookie and then when DH gets home we get red/pink/white frosting and sprinkles out along with candy hearts and we all decorate it together and eat it.
Last year we also made homemade pizzas and made them heart-shaped too

And we only have red/pink/white food/drink all day.....the boys love it :)

carolinamama
01-28-2010, 03:04 PM
None celebraters here. My dh loves me for that. I used to be very high maintenance on V-day but reevaluated. I told him so long as I feel loved and appreciated during the year then we can skip Valentine's day and focus on our anniversary instead.
I do make treats and do things with the kids though.

Beth

That's us too. DH and I may get eachother a card and the kids and I will probably make some treats and crafts. DH and I went out to a special Valentines dinner at a nice restaurant one year pre-kids. Both of us were left pretty meh at the whole experience. We'd rather hang out at home with the boys.

lizzywednesday
01-28-2010, 03:18 PM
We don't typically make a big deal of it for ourselves but I get really p!ssy if my dad doesn't send me the small box of Russel Stover candies he's given me every year since I can remember.

Yeah, I know, I am a grownup and I can get my own durn chocolates, but it's just not the same.

Last year, I cooked a menu inspired by the cookbook Intercourses (Haven't heard of it? It's on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/New-InterCourses-Aphrodisiac-Cookbook/dp/0965327523/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264706263&sr=8-1)

This year, DH talked about going out to dinner, but I'd rather he just cooked for me!

maestramommy
01-28-2010, 03:19 PM
We celebrate V's Day by going out to a nice dinner, and we usually exchange cards. But I don't know that we've ever exchanged gifts. I *think* once dh gave me flowers. But that's about it.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-28-2010, 03:20 PM

:yeahthat:

Just a card.

TwinFoxes
01-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Valentine's is our least splurgey holiday. It's just not that big a deal to us. DH would never not get me anything, but there is nothing I'm jonesing for. I'll probably get him this expensive shaving stuff he likes, and pictures of the girls. A picture mug is a good idea.

khalloc
01-28-2010, 04:14 PM
We usually go out to dinner without the kids. Or if we dont have a BBsitter, we stay home and cook a nice dinner and dessert. My b-day is a few days after as well so I think 2 presents in a week is a bit much. I did get him a gift last year though - cologne.

Melaine
01-28-2010, 04:44 PM
I will probably make a nice dinner for us (after the kids are asleep) and do a card. Actually DH's parents are in town (though not staying with us) for the 14th so we might have a big family meal that day. It's not a big deal to us either....

caleymama
01-28-2010, 05:28 PM
DH and I will exchange cards and sometimes he gets me flowers. We'll give cards and a small candy to the girls. We also send cards to our parents grandparents. We occasionally have gone out to dinner on or around Valentine's Day, but not usually.

jgenie
01-28-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm making DH a photo calendar. I always start with Feb. because DS was born in Jan and wanted to include his pics. I generally get jewelry for Vday and for our anniversary a few days before but the jewelry store DH usually goes to closed so I might just get a card and flowers this year.

Seitvonzu
01-28-2010, 06:09 PM
lizzy- my strawberry pasta fallback dinner is from intercourses. my mother gave that book to my brother and i when we both got engaged. i think it's hysterical because that's just a completely different mommy than i'm used to :)

LOVE IT :)

sewarsh
01-28-2010, 06:18 PM
we make late-night dinner after kids asleep and exchange cards. call me selfish, but i dont get DH anything, but hope for spa gift certificate from him!

will give the kids a little something from the present closet.

maybe we'll even get it on that night. we'll see how much wine i drink.....jk!!! :heartbeat:

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
01-28-2010, 07:19 PM
We usually go out to dinner, sometimes with the kids, sometimes without. BUT, this year, Chinese New Year is on V-day, so that trumps. Boo! :(

Cam&Clay
01-28-2010, 08:16 PM
DS1 is getting an iTunes gift card.
DS2 is getting Henry (from Thomas the Tank Engine)

My 40th birthday is the 12th, so DH told me to get a sitter for the 13th. I assume that whatever he has plans for will include both birthday and Valentine's Day. I'm hoping it involves The Melting Pot.

I rarely get anything for Valentine's Day because of my birthday. When he's in Iraq, though, I get flowers.

Gena
01-28-2010, 08:21 PM
We don't celebrate St. Valentine's Day either.

wendibird22
01-28-2010, 08:24 PM

Unfortunately no Costco in my area, but I've heard Aldi's gets in cheap roses for the occasion.

kozachka
01-28-2010, 08:27 PM
I am amazed by the number of families that do not celebrate Valentine Day. If you don't celebrate it at home, does it also mean that you don't send any Valentines to school with your DC? I have not prepared anything for DS to take to school(since I think of it as a grown up holiday) and am wondering if I should.

GaPeach_in_Ca
01-28-2010, 08:34 PM
I am amazed by the number of families that do not celebrate Valentine Day. If you don't celebrate it at home, does it also mean that you don't send any Valentines to school with your DC? I have not prepared anything for DS to take to school(since I think of it as a grown up holiday) and am wondering if I should.

We still send Valentines to school. :)

DH & I do not typically exchange gifts, or give gifts to the kids.

Our feeling is that we show each other we love each other every day, we don't need a special day. Or at least that's what we tell each other...

boolady
01-28-2010, 09:11 PM
We don't normally do much of anything, maybe make a nice dinner and exchange cards, but this year I decided out of the blue to surprise DH on the night of the 13th by getting my parents to watch DD, and making dinner and hotel reservations for the night. I just booked it today, and I'm very excited. He has to work on the 13th until 4, so I will have his bag packed and tell him that we're headed out when he gets home from work. Now I just have to keep my big mouth shut until then!

I just feel like lately I haven't been as appreciative of all that he does for us as I could, and wanted to give us a little alone time, which we haven't had other than for a few hours, in a while.

ETA: I don't want anything at all. Just his company.:)

kijip
01-29-2010, 05:30 AM
I just won a Kindle. I am thinking of giving that to him. Our wedding anniversary is the 13th. We normally don't do gifts in the typical sense for anniversary or Valentines but I just happened to win this, something he wants but would never buy, right before our anniversary. I have not told him about it, so it would be a surprise.

We are going on a little trip alone over that time so that will be nice.

Elilly
01-29-2010, 07:26 AM
I'll make a heart shaped pizza for dinner and some sort of dessert. The kids will make cards for each other and us and we'll give them some chocolate. It's Valentine's Day on a budget this year!

lizzywednesday
01-29-2010, 08:29 AM
lizzy- my strawberry pasta fallback dinner is from intercourses. my mother gave that book to my brother and i when we both got engaged. i think it's hysterical because that's just a completely different mommy than i'm used to :)

I bought a calendar with photos & recipes from it while DH and I were dating because I was having trouble feeling sexy, so I wanted the first thing I saw in the morning to be a sexy picture. The photography is so sensual!

Since then, I've flicked through the cookbook but haven't bought it yet, though I was SOOOOO tempted to give it to one of my cousins' fiancees as a shower gift, but she's a klutz in the kitchen, so I gave her the Rachael Ray compilation from Target instead.

mommylamb
01-29-2010, 09:56 AM

I actually gave that book to my mother one year...:loveeyes: It was a funny gift.

DH and I don't really celebrate V-day anymore. Just another Hallmark holiday IMO. But my parents are taking DS overnight the weekend prior, so DH and I will probably go out then. But, it really has nothing to do with V-day.