PDA

View Full Version : OMG, the Radian ROCKS FFing!

arivecchi
01-28-2010, 04:25 PM
So for those of you who read my travel question a couple of days ago, I ended up bringing the Scenera (on the plane) and the Radian XTSL (checked it). We have been using the Scenera RFing for DS2 and the Radian FFing for DS1 since we got to our destination. I love it so much more as a FFing seat!!! OMG, so low and narrow! DS1 really likes it. I hope he does not complain once he goes back to his Frontier at home. :)

elektra
01-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Que bueno! I was wondering what you ended up bringing on your trip. I don't have very much experience with FF seats yet, but when I have installed a Scenera FF for my neice, it was so much easier and solid that RF. I can imagine the Radian would be awesome too.

arivecchi
01-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Without the stinking RFing boot, it's a much more manageable seat size-wise! It looks like a mini-Frontier. :)

brgnmom
01-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Without the stinking RFing boot, it's a much more manageable seat size-wise! It looks like a mini-Frontier. :)

oooh, sounds great! where did you purchase your radian? I called babies r us and they don't have it at their store apparently.

maestramommy
01-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Awesome. We're going to use a Radian FFing for Dora. I hope she likes it!

AnnieW625
01-28-2010, 06:17 PM
All of my friends who have them like them FFing too. It's too bad one won't fit RFing in the Corolla well because that would be an awesome seat to get for #2 if it did. DH is pretty adament about getting the same seats for both cars for #2, but maybe I can get him to change his mind though because the Radian in the center in my car would be awesome (if it installs okay!) and provide a full extra seat! Oh well we have at least a year to argue this before we even need to think about convertables for #2.

westgre
01-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Funny, I think the Radian is much easier to install RF in my CR-V than it is to install FF.

arivecchi
01-28-2010, 09:21 PM
oooh, sounds great! where did you purchase your radian? I called babies r us and they don't have it at their store apparently. I got mine at diapers.com. They price match, have free next day shipping and free returns. :)

KrisM
01-28-2010, 10:09 PM
I had 2 in my car last week and it was like the backseat was twice as big as usual. I'm back to one RN, a Wizard and a Safeseat and it is cramped looking :). I wish I could fit 3 RNs FFing in there for the future.

Dr C
01-28-2010, 10:13 PM
We LOVE our new FF Radian (thanks to the BBBers, esp O_Mom, who suggested it in my Mini). DS is particularly excited because he thinks it looks like a "race car seat" LOL.

belovedgandp
01-28-2010, 11:55 PM
I like hearing Radian love!

I've had at least one for 4 years now. We're currently using three in two different vehicles. I just moved my 2 1/2 YO from a Marathon to a Radian in my van. It's amazing how much smaller he looks in the seat since it's taller. I love how low it sits. So much easier for the him to climb in and out of. Plus it's easier for older brother to climb around. An added bonus is that since he sits lower he isn't kicking the back of the passenger seat as much either.

Joolsplus2
01-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Doesn't it, though? I thought I'd send mine to a friend, but years have passed and she's had to find another, I just can't let it go :heartbeat:
Leah had her 4 yo portrait in hers 2 days ago :hysterical: http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#5431482245786765554 (but look at all that room over her head, and she's only 36lbs, I'm just sick that it's got a 33lb limit, I really need to get an xtsl and RF her another year or so...sigh).

I have a lot less luck FFing it in the Ford Escape, though, it can NOT be done with the seatbelt outboard (just LATCH, which is annoying as I have to get three across back there and could stand the extra room if the seat would install closer to the door), I've bloodied my arm trying it multiple times. And only FF in the center NOT in recline mode.

ciw
01-29-2010, 09:52 AM
arivierez, I've been following your Radian saga over the past few months with interest so I'm sorry to hijack but I have to ask Jools to expand on this:

I have a lot less luck FFing it in the Ford Escape, though, it can NOT be done with the seatbelt outboard (just LATCH, which is annoying as I have to get three across back there and could stand the extra room if the seat would install closer to the door), I've bloodied my arm trying it multiple times. And only FF in the center NOT in recline mode.

We've been seriously considering buying a Radian for my super tall and skinny son and moving the Triumph Advance over to DH's vehicle (BTW, very happy with the Triumph. I know it gets a bad rap but we love it. No problems at all. Just wish it had headwings). I have a Taurus now but will be getting a new vehicle fairly soon and it almost definitely will be an Escape. But your post has me a little concerned. It sounds like it's a rough install in the Escape? Is the problem only forward facing? How much of a problem is it if the seat isn't in recline mode? Does that bother most kids if the seat isn't reclined? He's our only right now so we'd want to use the seat in the center. And while I'm asking :D.... how does the Radian do in a Taurus? Unfortunately, there isn't anywhere I can try the Radian in the car before buying it.

Joolsplus2
01-29-2010, 10:04 AM
It'll fit fine in pretty much any car with LATCH, forward facing (not all, but most), it just gets to be a pain with seatbelts in some cars (Ford has even-spacing in the middle LATCH, so it can be installed there, but it covers up the outboard seatbelt buckles, so nobody can ride in the window seats if you use LATCH in the middle. Argh, lol).
Rearfacing, I couldn't get it to work in the Escape, unless it is behind the passenger seat and there's no front passenger. DH and I are a little tall, a shorter driver may find it's fine to have it RF in the middle or behind them (dh hated how it poked through the front seats when I had it in the middle, he'd hit his arm on it...though the install was fine, it was just a front seat space issue).

westgre
01-29-2010, 10:35 AM
I don't have LATCH in my CR-V. The only way I can get a good FF install is to install as tightly as I can, then unbuckle, turn the seatbelt stalk once or twice, then rebuckle.

Joolsplus2
01-29-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't have LATCH in my CR-V. The only way I can get a good FF install is to install as tightly as I can, then unbuckle, turn the seatbelt stalk once or twice, then rebuckle.

That's a great tip! Do you also recline and re-upright your seatbacks? It can make things rock solid, too... http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=348851

arivecchi
01-29-2010, 03:08 PM
I've installed the XTSL in three cars FFIng (I'm away from home and using relatives' cars) and it has been way easier than RFing (which I did not find that difficult except for too much of a recline in my car at home). Just such a great seat, so glad I got it. Julie, I would not part with that Radian either!

Piglet
01-29-2010, 03:58 PM
We heart the RN FFing too... RFing it's not getting any love and is sitting in the garage :( I hate that darn boot!

KrisM
01-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Doesn't it, though? I thought I'd send mine to a friend, but years have passed and she's had to find another, I just can't let it go :heartbeat:
Leah had her 4 yo portrait in hers 2 days ago :hysterical: http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#5431482245786765554 (but look at all that room over her head, and she's only 36lbs, I'm just sick that it's got a 33lb limit, I really need to get an xtsl and RF her another year or so...sigh).

My mom has a 2002 (I think) Mazda Tribute, which is basically an Escape. I can install Radians just fine FFing outboard. I do recline the seats and then move them upright. This is seatbelt install. I wonder what is different between her Tribute and your Escape.

Joolsplus2
01-30-2010, 09:10 AM
My mom has a 2002 (I think) Mazda Tribute, which is basically an Escape. I can install Radians just fine FFing outboard. I do recline the seats and then move them upright. This is seatbelt install. I wonder what is different between her Tribute and your Escape.

No reclining seatbacks in the Escape. <insert yosemite sam-style grumble>

KrisM
01-30-2010, 09:59 AM
No reclining seatbacks in the Escape. <insert yosemite sam-style grumble>

Guess that's it then!

My dad has an Explorer and I can not get any seats in there well, so I always make them bring the Tribute if they're taking my kids.