PDA

View Full Version : Is it really possible???

Reyadawnbringer
01-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Ugh, picked up DS from his third day of daycare. He was in a much better mood, except that when we went to get out of the car once we arrived home he puked up all his milk. This has NEVER happened before. Also, changed his diaper and right after I put a new one on- explosive diarrhea. And I mean explosive. He is still acting fine, and doesn't have a fever. I don't know what the problem is.

Could it really be possible that he already picked something up from daycare?? :banghead:

Cam&Clay
01-28-2010, 08:18 PM
I hate to say it but most definitely yes.

wellyes
01-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Awful to say but hopefully it's something he ate - more likely it's the 'pukes a lot' bug. Sorry!

Reyadawnbringer
01-28-2010, 08:37 PM
grrr. Even without a fever? I thought for sure he would have a fever if he was sick...

And I am guessing that this means no daycare tomorrow too eh? :(

And so it begins....

Reyadawnbringer
01-28-2010, 09:47 PM
ok, so.. no daycare tomorrow. he just vomited 5 times in a row. i am not quite sure what to do about this....

bubbaray
01-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Totally possible. Our daycare rule is no vomitting or diahrreah (sp?) or fever for a full 24 hrs before they can return to daycare.

Once he stops puking, offer pedialyte -- 5ml every 15 minutes IIRC. I have found that a syringe is the only way to administer it -- no living creature would willingly drink pedialyte!

Cam&Clay
01-28-2010, 10:02 PM
I have used a mixture of apple juice and unflavored Pedialyte (50/50) with success.

MamaMolly
01-28-2010, 10:08 PM
It doesn't help with the fluids but CVS has these electrolyte strips (like Lysterine breath strips) that melt in the mouth. So you could do those and plain water if the pedialyte is rejected.

Reyadawnbringer
01-28-2010, 10:28 PM
He is beyond exhausted... any tips on how to help him get to sleep? He hasn't vomited since the last time I posted.

Reyadawnbringer
01-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Nvm... he is sleeping now. Hopefully he is able to stay asleep.

vonfirmath
01-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Totally possible. Our daycare rule is no vomitting or diahrreah (sp?) or fever for a full 24 hrs before they can return to daycare.

Once he stops puking, offer pedialyte -- 5ml every 15 minutes IIRC. I have found that a syringe is the only way to administer it -- no living creature would willingly drink pedialyte!

My son LOVES pedialyte.

nrp
01-29-2010, 12:31 AM
So sorry! Now that I know you are "just around the corner", I'll share that the throw-up virus has been circulating with a vengeance around here. Practically every member of my immediate AND extended family had it a couple of weeks ago. Only good news is that it passed pretty quickly for everyone. DD and DS only threw up for a day, and then took a couple of days to get back to normal. DD had a slight fever and DS never had one. So, maybe tomorrow will be better!

kransden
01-29-2010, 01:38 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of daycare :(
It does get better.

MCsMom
01-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Sounds like the nasty stomach bug that's been going around.

DD got it, followed by DH. It lasted about 24 hours for each, with DH suffering a bit more.

Hope all is better soon!

Reyadawnbringer
01-29-2010, 09:06 AM
What/when can ds eat? He hasn't thrown up since I posted it last night. Thanks!

nrp
01-29-2010, 09:39 AM
What/when can ds eat? He hasn't thrown up since I posted it last night. Thanks!

If he is tolerating on-demand liquids, then I would start him out on bland foods - bananas, white rice, applesauce, etc. Avoid milk products, as a stomach bug like this can cause temporary lactose intolerance (on top of milk being hard to digest anyway). When you ease milk back in you might want to try lactose free for a week or so.

jayali
01-29-2010, 09:44 AM
DS had this last week and even when we thought we were out of the woods (next morning with no puke overnight) he did end up vomiting up the toast and 1/2 banana he had mid next morning. Just wanted to warn you.

DS got it last Tuesday, was fine by Wednesday evening in school on Thursday.

DH got it on Thursday and was not 100% until Sunday

I never got it, but could have lived with it as DH lost 5 pounds and I am still packing the Christmas weight on. I would have suffered in silence!

Neither had a fever and DS acted fine, except very sleepy the full 24 hours.

He might have gotten it even if he wasn't in daycare. It has been all around our neighborhood.

Hope he is feeling better.

wimama
01-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Welcome to the world of daycare! I try to look at the bright side of things. From what I have always heard is that daycare kids catch all these colds and illnesses now and are less likely to get sick when they start school. That is how I console myself.

My DS had the stomach bug this week. He complained his stomach hurt a few times earlier in the day and we stupidly tried to stop by Target to get a few things. He was acting normal and not complaining when we left daycare. He was happily playing in the toy section with my DH when he said he didn't feel good. He came back to the food section, we put him in the cart and about one minute later he proceeded to throw up all over himself and the cart. Fun times!

My DS never threw up again. I stayed home with him the next day and he not quite 100% the next day but he was feeling pretty good and acting normal. His stomach bug passed very quickly and he never had a fever. Hope your DS is feeling better soon!

Reyadawnbringer
01-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Ok, still vomitting... I guess we aren't out of the woods yet :(

Thanks for the advice everyone

wimama
01-29-2010, 10:09 AM
I would give him one small sip of juice every few minutes. I have found that is the only way to keep liquids down when DS is really sick. One sip at time. My DS will not drink as much if I offer him Pedialyte. But, Pedialyte is the best if your DS will drink it. And, I agree mixing it with juice makes it go down easier. Oh, and make sure you get the non-staining dye-free Pedialyte.

AnnieW625
01-29-2010, 12:18 PM
It's so hard to tell with kids that age. It's possible, but that's a pretty common strain of flu that has been going around. DD had it right before Christmas and puked once and had some green poops, but within 24 hrs. it was gone. She never had a fever either. Hope the little guy gets better soon!

If he vomits within two times within a 2 hr. period get to the pharmacy and get some Emetrol. It's magic and it's okay to use for children (I can't remember the correct dosage though). CVS has their own brand and it works fine too.

Also Bananas Rice Applesauce Toast diet is good to start once puking has stopped.

DietCokeLover
01-29-2010, 12:59 PM
I have used a mixture of apple juice and unflavored Pedialyte (50/50) with success.

This is a brilliant idea why did I not think of it.

arivecchi
01-29-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm so sorry. :( Hope he feels better soon.

khalloc
01-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Am I the only one who has never given my kids Pedialyte? It seems like people here recommend it whenever someone mentions a kid with puking and or diarreah...my kids have had both before and I never thought to buy pedialyte, nor has doc ever suggested it to me, ever.

Tondi G
01-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Am I the only one who has never given my kids Pedialyte? It seems like people here recommend it whenever someone mentions a kid with puking and or diarreah...my kids have had both before and I never thought to buy pedialyte, nor has doc ever suggested it to me, ever.

My kids won't drink pedialyte. I tried with each of them. Have better luck with gatorade and water.

KpbS
01-29-2010, 10:44 PM
My kids won't drink pedialyte. I tried with each of them. Have better luck with gatorade and water.

Same here.

shawnandangel
01-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Last week when DD had the puking virus she would not drink Pedialyte either. DH tasted it and threw it away! He went to the store and got some orange Gatorade which she tolerated and LOVED. Totally kept her hydrated which is the goal right? She only gets juice on rare occasions so to get Gatorade for 3 days in a row was a treat. Now whenever she sees a gatorade bottle she points and signs "drink". She's a fanatic!

Reyadawnbringer
01-30-2010, 01:46 AM
Well Ds already did better today. He did throw up this morning at abotu 7:30am, but the tolerated a few different types of fluids well (water, apple juice, pedialyte, and yes- even 3 oz. of milk). He also held down ALL his food- though he was mostly attracted to the blander ones (bananas, applesauce, multi-grain cheerios, whole wheat bread, baby mum mums, the happy baby fruit puffs). Eventually he was feeling a little braver and held down a tiny tiny bit of mac and cheese and a fruit leather.

By the end of the night the diarrhea had ceased, and he hadn't vomited all day. He was still cranky on and off during the day, however- bedtime was as usual tonight (even though it was more than 2 hours late because of an extra nap he took).

DH and I aren't sick in the least, and DS never had a fever. So, whatever it was, he seems to be over the worst now.

Thanks so much to everyone for youe helpful information. I know kids get sick, and this certainly isn't the worst he has ever been through- but I can honestly say that this is the first time he has EVER had a stomach bug. I guess I can count myself lucky, although because of that- I had to strongly fight the urge to freak out over it. :) Thanks for keeping me in perspective!

:bowdown:

Reyadawnbringer
01-30-2010, 02:05 PM
And... now I am sick. Luckily my mom came to get DS today so that I could rest a little bit. Tummy feels all knotted up :(

KpbS
01-30-2010, 02:09 PM
The stomach bug can be brutal and strike when you think everyone else is out of the woods. Don't forget to disinfect. :hug: