PDA

View Full Version : lotion for excema

HIU8
01-28-2010, 09:36 PM
DD has excema and her tush is really bad right now. She is PT so I don't want to put diaper cream on her (and it doesn't do anything for the excema anyways). What type of cream would be good to use all over her body that would not stain or make her undies damp?

lablover
01-28-2010, 09:43 PM
When DD had eczema we used Vanicream lotion. Used religiously it took care of the eczema. (Note - hers did not weep and she never had open cracks.) It is not a prescription but they sell it behind the pharmacy counter in my area. My local grocery stores seem to have one in stock now and I've seen it at the Costco pharmacy too. When I first bought it they would have to order it and it would come in the next day. She doesn't need it much anymore but this winter I've been using it all the time on my extremely dry hands.

Dr C
01-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Plain old vaseline.

DrSally
01-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Vaicream, cerave, Eucerin (cream or lotion), Aquaphor

bubbaray
01-28-2010, 09:56 PM
If its really eczema, its unlikely to be present in the diaper area, according to our pediatric dermatologist.

JMHO.

Melaine
01-28-2010, 10:03 PM
We have been happy with California Baby Calendula Cream. My girls have eczema on their lower back/bottom that seems to come and go....I think it's worse when they get sweaty. DH and I also use the same cream for skin irritation, works like a charm.
http://www.californiababy.com/calendula-cream-2-oz.html

ett
01-28-2010, 10:04 PM
We use Vanicream here.

DrSally
01-28-2010, 10:14 PM
If its really eczema, its unlikely to be present in the diaper area, according to our pediatric dermatologist.

JMHO.

Is it bumpy or anything? Could it be yeast?

bubbaray
01-28-2010, 10:26 PM
That's what our derm says. If it looks like eczema but is in the diaper area, its not eczema, its yeast or something else.

HIU8
01-28-2010, 10:31 PM
She has it on her tush cheeks and up her back and on her stomach. My ped has always told me it was eczema. It has gotten worse lately, so I may have to take her in to have the ped look at it. it's red bumps and blotchy areas and she itches constantly. She also gets it behind her knees and she scratches until it's red but not raw.

DrSally
01-28-2010, 10:50 PM
She has it on her tush cheeks and up her back and on her stomach. My ped has always told me it was eczema. It has gotten worse lately, so I may have to take her in to have the ped look at it. it's red bumps and blotchy areas and she itches constantly. She also gets it behind her knees and she scratches until it's red but not raw.

Poor baby! Have you ever heard of bleach baths? 1/4 cup bleach to the bath water is supposed to help with eczema, I've heard. You have to moisturize really well afterward b/c it can be drying. My ped recommended it for a bacterial dipe rash DD had. She said she was hesitant b/c some parents might make a mistake and put too much bleach in the bath. 1/4 cup is pretty diluted though.

DH had eczema pretty bad and his doctor prescribed atopiclair. It's nonsteroidal, I think just a really intense moisturizer. Pretty expensive, and it does have shea butter, so if Dd has any nut allergies, I wouldn't use it. May be something to look into? Also, what about just rubbing olive oil in?

ciw
01-28-2010, 11:29 PM
If it does turn out to be eczema you may want to try this: http://www.shikai.com/products/borage.htm

DS has eczema and a laundry list of allergies and this is by far the best over-the-counter treatment we've found (other than cortisone of course). He's seen two pediatricians and three allergists for his allergies and eczema and they all started off by suggesting Vaseline, Eucerin and Aquaphor so these may work for you too. They didn't work for DS because he's extremely sensitive to lanolin and petroleum jelly (and this is not unusual for eczema kids apparently) so they only made the problem worse. The borage lotion (we used the children's version not the adult's; not sure what the difference is) was recommended by docs after the other lotions failed and it worked wonders. It doesn't clear up eczema as quickly as cortisone but I'm not comfortable putting a steroid on my kid every day (we just use it for really bad cases) and the lotion works really well for him on a daily basis.

spanannie
01-29-2010, 12:35 AM

JMHO.

My dermatologist tells me that you can get eczema in that area and that she sees cradle cap there, as well. I am certain my DD has had eczema in her pelvic area. I don't know if it was between her legs, but definitely in all the parts I could see with her standing up. I know it was eczema, since she had it everywhere else.

To the OP, we were given steroid cream, used Eucerin calming cream and wash, but, what I think really cleared it up, was an oatmeal bath. We bought a bag of pure oatmeal powder from the grocery in the bath section and, if she has a flare up, it calms it right down. I'm sorry for your DD! I know it is so miserable for them!

gordo
01-29-2010, 12:38 AM
We use Cerave, Aquaphor or Eucerin. I feel I get better results when I switch it up once in a while.

gatorsmom
01-29-2010, 12:45 AM
My dermatologist tells me that you can get eczema in that area and that she sees cradle cap there, as well.

Cradle cap down there? I would bet big bucks that a baby with a reddish scaly rash down there actually has psoriasis.

lchang25000
01-29-2010, 12:48 AM
My friend uses the baby Aveeno cream made for eczema with great results.

Tondi G
01-29-2010, 02:14 AM
this might be an option for you

http://www.nativeremedies.com/products/natural-clear-skin-e-cream-care.html?img=67&kbid=2034

cvanbrunt
01-29-2010, 03:23 AM
We like Triple Cream.

Sillygirl
01-29-2010, 08:04 AM
1.Cleansing the Skin: The skin is a very important part of the body; it is an "extra kidney," an extra set of lungs for breathing, and has many other functions. We should keep it in a good condition, important as it is, but we usually treat it shamefully. Cleanliness is next to Godliness, and the skin should be bathed daily. This does not mean to use soap with each bathing, unless it is a natural type biodegradable liquid soap. Nearly all bar soaps do more damage to the skin than they aid it, by leaving residue of the soap to clog the pores. The pores are the doors and windows of the temple and must be kept open to let in oxygen (the breath of life) and to excrete toxins and waste.

WTH? I wish the skin were an extra kidney - my patients could all get off dialysis if they'd just moisturize. But that's nonsense. And air exchange does not take place across the skin in any meaningful way, either. It's layers and layers of dead cells on top - if your lungs looked like that you'd suffocate in about thirty seconds.

Alex had eczema, clearly eczema, in the diaper area until he turned two - it has almost entirely cleared up since then. It can be challenging because you don't want to dry the skin out too much with frequent washings, but you need to keep it clean. After washing, blot the skin dry. We applied a thin layer of A+D yellow ointment, and OTC cortisone when things were really bad. The PTing is a challenge, but hopefully the increased air circulation will help in the long run.

lizzywednesday
01-29-2010, 09:00 AM
WTH? I wish the skin were an extra kidney - my patients could all get off dialysis if they'd just moisturize. But that's nonsense. And air exchange does not take place across the skin in any meaningful way, either. It's layers and layers of dead cells on top - if your lungs looked like that you'd suffocate in about thirty seconds.....

Click the "report" button (looks like an exclamation point inside a red & white triangle @ the upper RH corner of post near post #). This smells like Troll to me.

dcmom2b3
01-29-2010, 10:39 AM
If it does turn out to be eczema you may want to try this: http://www.shikai.com/products/borage.htm

DS has eczema and a laundry list of allergies and this is by far the best over-the-counter treatment we've found (other than cortisone of course). He's seen two pediatricians and three allergists for his allergies and eczema and they all started off by suggesting Vaseline, Eucerin and Aquaphor so these may work for you too. They didn't work for DS because he's extremely sensitive to lanolin and petroleum jelly (and this is not unusual for eczema kids apparently) so they only made the problem worse. The borage lotion (we used the children's version not the adult's; not sure what the difference is) was recommended by docs after the other lotions failed and it worked wonders. It doesn't clear up eczema as quickly as cortisone but I'm not comfortable putting a steroid on my kid every day (we just use it for really bad cases) and the lotion works really well for him on a daily basis.

:yeahthat: Love Shikai Borage Oil lotion!

I've also had success treating eczema with evening primrose oil -- buy the capsules, pop them, and rub the oil on the bad spots. Messy but effective.

calv
01-29-2010, 10:42 AM
where can Vanicream be purchased? CVS? Target? Walmart?

babybunny
01-29-2010, 11:00 AM
My son's pediatrician did nothing to address his eczeme that was helpful. At 3-1/2 years old, we took DS to a pediatric allergist. He prescribed Zyrtec twice a day for a month (it's over the counter, but ask you dr about the dosage) and use of Elicon creme (prescription- use sparingly) and Aquaphour on top of that. He claimed soaking baths would help and use of Dove soap. We do better if DS barely goes in the shower or bath. His outbreaks cleared up almost immediately with the Elicon.

You should consider food allergies as a possible trigger. We now try to avoid food dyes. We noticed that after he ate the "bad" stuff, he would get the "Itchies" a few hours later. We need to treat with Zyrtec for a few days after that.

Also avoid nylon and rough clothing. Super soft Cotton is best. Wash clothes in dye free/fragrance free detergent. No dryer sheets...

DrSally
01-29-2010, 11:39 AM
where can Vanicream be purchased? CVS? Target? Walmart?

CVS, Walgreens, Target. Sometimes it's behind the pharmacy counter, so you have to ask. The best value, I think, is the jar with the pump. We like it b/c it doesn't sting like some lotions can.

HIU8
01-29-2010, 11:40 AM
We are going back to the ped today b/c DD is scratching it a lot.

We had been to the ped allergist about a year ago b/c DD was breaking out with a rash around her mouth when she ate certain foods. Turns out then that she was not allergic to any of the major ones they test for (they also tested for chicken and beef). I was told that it was a sensitivity that she would outgrow. He did not test for dyes etc... though.

We use free and clear detergents only (b/c I break out from others we have always done that). I do use dryer sheets though. I will start at least by eliminating those. What do I use instead (anything)?

DD uses cetephil soap. That had helped in the past, but I will probably switch to Dove to see if that makes a difference also. DD gets some sort of washdown nightly (bath or wash around as she is usually filthy from preschool--so I have to find something super mild (I thought the cetaphil bar was, but now I don't know...).

bubbaray
01-29-2010, 12:31 PM
My girls can't use Dove, but they do use Cetaphil. ETA -- Cetaphil liquid, not the bar.

Just don't use anything in the dryer. To clear out the residue from past dryer sheets, you need to add 1c of white vinegar to the rinse cycle of the wash, every load for at least a month.

If she was having a red rash after eating foods like tomatoes, that's a contact dermatitis. Just apply a barrier ointment (vaseline or similar) prior to eating those foods. Its not an allergy (according to our pediatric dermatologist and also to our pediatric allergist).

FWIW, I'm 99% sure that Elidel is black-boxed for children. And, it stings like a bugger when you apply it to eczema (I've done it to myself and it burns like crazy). If you are prescribed something topical, ask for an ointment over a cream -- a good rule of thumb is anything white stings when applied to eczema.

HIU8
01-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks Melissa.

I just want DD to be more comfortable and she itches a lot now (and DH gets so alarmed looking at her skin. I'm more laid back, willing to try things until we find one that works well).

DrSally
01-29-2010, 12:48 PM
I think it will help a lot if you eliminate the dryer sheets. They cause residue that can irritate the skin. I used dryer balls for awhile, but DH hated the noise, so now I use nothing, and it's fine. I think Cetaphil is very gentle.

poppy
01-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Pure Jojoba oil per my pedi. It worked for us.

you can buy it at Trader Joe's--at least at mine.
I think also drugstore.com, but TJ is about 3 bucks cheaper.