PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for restaurants and activities in St. Thomas USVI?

gatorsmom
01-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Does anyone have any favorite restaurants for St. Thomas? Is there anything we "must see?" How about favorite activities? My DH and I are going to St. Thomas in about 10 days for the first time without the kids. We are staying at the Marriott there. I'd love to eat some great local food. Any suggestions for great local restaurants?

TIA!

ciw
01-29-2010, 01:48 AM
Some random thoughts....
A day trip to St. John's and the Baths was the most memorable part of my trip. St. John's is VERY different from St. Thomas and not something you want to miss. The Baths are just awesome -- unlike anything I've seen. The sailing charters aren't cheap and aren't something I'd dream of doing with kids but if it's just you and DH? Go. Seriously, just go. (Oh, one note. The boats don't dock exactly at St. John's or the Baths. They drop you off in the ocean close to shore and you have to swim the remainder. I can't even float so that was a bit scary and I nearly backed out. Thankfully, DH is an extremely strong swimmer because he basically pulled me ashore. Still.... I'm really glad he made me do it).
The beaches on St. Thomas are all a little different from each other so definitely be sure to hit a few.
The downtown area of St. Thomas has lots of shopping (primarily jewelry deals).
Coral World is kid-oriented but fun. http://www.coralworldvi.com/activities/
Are you renting a car? If so, you can wind around the island to some of the lookout points with great views. I think one of them is called Drake's Seat.
Mountain Top was neat but I'm not sure what's there since it burned down.
A lot of restaurants serve conch. I wasn't a fan but you may want to try it. There's also a restaurant that serves AMAZING key lime pie (which I always hated until I tried their's. I made DH go back three times just for dessert. It was insanely expensive but oh.my.gosh. Back in the U.S., I still hate key lime pie). Can't think of the restaurant name but I'm sure DH will remember.
Sorry, I know this sounds scattered but I'm tired and need to get to bed. I'll try to post some restaurant and beach suggestions tomorrow.

billysmommy
02-01-2010, 06:11 AM
Definitely go to St Johns for a day trip or two. They have a regular ferry that goes over that takes about an hour and they have the charters.

Coki Beach is one of our faves...gotta love getting drinks brought to you on the beach :)

We ate at Old Stone Inn and it was wonderful. We had the 5 course chef's menu and basically the chef creates a menu for you (they do ask about allergies beforehand).

We also did one of the sunset dinner cruises and loved it.

Definitely shopping, especially if you like jewelry. I've gotten some gorgeous tanzanite pieces there.

If you can hook up with the taxi driver "Mr Nice Guy" he gives wonderful suggestions as to beaches, local places to eat, etc. We ask for him whenever we go.

Have a wonderful time, it's one of our favorite places to go :)

Tinkerbell313
02-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Although you are not on a cruise...venture over to the www.cruisecritic.com website. Click on boards to get to the message boards. Scroll down to
Ports of Call and choose: Carribean. Choose St. Thomas/St.John. You can get a wealth of information on different activities and restaurants.

ciw
02-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Here's a website with beach descriptions: http://www.usvibeaches.com/islands/beaches/

More reviews here: virgin-islands-on-line.com

Iggies Beach Bar (restaurant on the beach) is super casual but good food.

I've heard good things about Wicked (but I haven't been there).

gatorsmom
02-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. We leave next Wednesday and i can't wait! :boogie:

pinkmomagain
02-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Lisa, we were there a couple of years ago and stayed at the Marriott. I do hope you guys are staying in a beachfront room at the Morningstar part of the hotel. Very beautiful views, right on the beach. The water is beatiful. We didn't venture out of the hotel (we had little ones and also extended family), but the restaurant on the property - Havana Blue -- was really great and fun!

gatorsmom
02-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Thank you, everyone for the advice. We had big plans to tour St. John Island but it turned out that we DID have a room in the Morningstar part of Marriott and so we spent nearly everyday just hanging out at the beach. We'd basically wake up, put on our swimsuits, and walk down to grab our loungechairs, sometimes getting breakfast at the little restaurant right on the beach (Coco Joe's). We just decided to take advantage of that great beach access and see some of the sights the next time we go, in the event that we don't get beach access rooms next time. We did hit some FANTASTIC restaurants at night, though, including Havana Blue and the Old Stone Farmhouse. And you guys were right- they were wonderful! We did go on one sailing/snorkeling trip to Buck Island. But mainly we just relaxed sipping cocktails on the beach. :tongue5:

Thanks for all your help!

SnuggleBuggles
02-19-2010, 12:59 AM
That sounds like a wonderful trip!! :)

Beth

infomama
02-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Love the USVI..St.John the most though. We are planning a trip this fall....can't wait to go back!