PDA

View Full Version : I think DD has an earache and all our Tylenol is expired!

sariana
01-29-2010, 03:52 AM
We hardly ever get sick, except for colds. So I just don't keep medicine stocked.

DD woke screaming and didn't stop for over an hour. She was pulling on her ear and a couple of times said her ear was hurting. (She also recently cut her two bottom 2-year molars.)

So I went searching for Children's Tylenol. Our liquid suspension expired in Sep '08 (yikes!), and our Meltaways expired in Jan '09.

DH is deployed overseas, and DS is sleeping. (How he slept through all the screaming I'll never know.) So I can't just run out to get new meds.

The pharmacist said to give her a Meltaway and get new medicine tomorrow.

Five years from now I'll find it, nearly full, and expired. Did I say we just don't get sick much?

I guess I should count my blessings, as both my DC were preemies and could have had numerous health problems.

BarbieSmith
01-29-2010, 09:17 AM
You should be fine with the expired, I believe. My sister (internist) once passed on to me some quite expired ibuprofen, and said they would be safe to use, and also that the efficacy would still be there.

edurnemk
01-29-2010, 11:26 AM
As someone who works in the pharmaceutical industry, I can tell you that expired medicines aren't harmful, they just aren't guaranteed to have 100% efficacy anymore. Worst case, it won't make the pain go away as fast, but your DD will not be harmed by it.

AnnieW625
01-29-2010, 12:13 PM
I would use them until you have some time to get to the pharmacy. I also found that at least for DD Motrin helped, and I would also call the doctor ASAP to get DD in to get his ear infection checked out. In my honest opinion it's better to be safe than sorry esp. when it comes to ear infections.

sariana
01-29-2010, 12:42 PM
So I dissolved one Meltaway in a little bit of juice (pharmacist said that was okay), thinking DD would think juice at night was a treat. She would not drink it! She kept shaking her head saying, "No juice! No juice!" I had to dig out an old infant dispenser and give it to her one tsp at a time. At least a third spilled on her jammies, but she slept through the rest of the night. So I guess it helped.

We are going to see a doctor this morning. They didn't think we needed the emergency room (nor do I), so we're going to Urgent Care today. DD seems much better now.

sariana
01-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Yup, an ear infection. We're taking a wait-and-see approach. So far DD seems much better.

And I bought some new Tylenol.

Tondi G
01-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Yup, an ear infection. We're taking a wait-and-see approach. So far DD seems much better.

And I bought some new Tylenol.

I find that motrin helps EI's more than tylenol since it is an anti inflammatory.

You should ask your ped to call in some of the ear numbing drops for future pain in the middle of the night. It works FAST!

Hope your little one is feeling better soon