PDA

View Full Version : advice needed on 5 year old

lil_acorn
01-29-2010, 02:57 PM
My 5 year old has become a terror lately - every little thing sets him off. The amount of yelling and backtalk is troublesome, but basically I am just awestruck by the lack of respect he is showing to us. I understand that we need to be respectful of him, stay calm and don't yell back. We do all these things but he pretty much flips out and calls us mean and bullies every time we ask him to do something he doesn't want to do (i.e. time to go to the bus, time to go to swim, time to brush your teeth, etc). This is ridiculous. Can someone offer any suggestions or good websites?

SnuggleBuggles
01-29-2010, 03:00 PM
I wonder if something is going on at school? It is something I would look into and make sure there isn't any bullying (like him being bullied) or something else that could be an explanation. That's just something that came to my mind. There was another 5yo thread earlier this week here but I don't remember the title to find it. It is, unfortunately, a common theme at this age.

Beth

lil_acorn
01-29-2010, 03:10 PM
oh no..he is using the "bully" comment because they just had bully training at school LOL! In fact, my son is going to report my bullying to my work-teacher. aaackk! this is driving me nuts.

jayali
01-29-2010, 03:49 PM
We go through periods of the same. DS, who will be 6 in May, is usually very respectful and sweet, actually that is always true with others. Seems like we are the mean awful parents.

I think it is just a phase that you have to deal with based on your parenting style. I think that they eventually grow out of it. Most people have told us he is testing us.

When it happens we are consistent in our discipline approach (which I won't share because in these times I would be considered a brute), but I think as long as you are consistent in the message, they get the point (after 10 to 20 years!).