PDA

View Full Version : Pukey Frontier straps--literally

PAfirsttimemom
01-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Can these straps be removed and cleaned out somehow? I used a toothpick to clean out some of the crevices of the buckles, but I'm sure some stinky particles will remain. It would be better if I could rinse them out well and scrub the straps. And does anyone have suggestions on what to use other than just water? Or can the straps actually go in the washer? The fabric parts that lie near the shoulders got puke on them, too, and those don't velcro on and off like they do in other seats (why not?!?). How is one supposed to clean them?

Argh! Poor DS1. We returned from the doc's/pharmacy/lunch after finding out he has an ear infection and then he puked while sitting in our garage because he had fallen asleep and got upset when he woke up and I didn't hear him right away. (At least I hope that's why and it's not also a stomach bug to boot.) It's been a long week. DS2 has an ear infection, too. Plus I banged the door on his head and knocked him over while coming back in the house after discovering DS1 had puked all over himself and the carseat. (Sorry, this last part probably belongs in bitching post or something.)

Thanks for your help!

o_mom
01-29-2010, 06:36 PM
You should be able to remove the harness. Look in the manual for instructions or hopefully someone with one will chime in on that. When you do, the fabric pieces can slide off (they used to velcro, but little ones pull them off and lose them so they switched - it's about 50/50 who likes which kinds so they really can't win).

Anyway, the cover and the fabric pieces can be washed in the washer. Do not wash the harness in the washer. The straps are not supposed to be washed, just spot cleaned. A wipe with a wet rag and a drop of mild detergent can help. I would avoid heavy scrubbing or soaking. The buckles can be rinsed in warm water (again, see the manual). If all else fails, you can order a whole new harness, but most times the puke smell fades pretty quickly.

Good luck.... puking is no fun for anyone. :(

Joolsplus2
01-30-2010, 09:08 AM
I usually take mine out and just rinse them under running tepid water and nothing else, just till the visible bits are rinsed off. Then let them dry flat on a towel. They will still smell bad for a week or so, though, but it fades (Radian can't be removed or replaced, so I had no choice but to hope the smell would go away, and it does, I just didn't want to risk too much scrubbing with too much soap, mostly).

What a rough day :(

PAfirsttimemom
01-31-2010, 12:18 AM
Thanks, Omom and Jools!

Everything seems to have cleaned up nicely. Hope DH and I can put the seat back together without too much hassle!