PDA

View Full Version : Should I pay to replace my seat?

Staraglimmer
01-29-2010, 09:07 PM
So I was ina colission and my insurance company said to buy a new seat, send them the reciept, and they would pay for it. Then they called me back 45 min. later and said that bc the air bags did not deploy and my car was somewhat driveable they are not replaceing the seat. So should I repalce it anyway or do you think that it is ok? It is a Britax.

o_mom
01-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Call the manufacturer of the seat and get their opinion. Some manufacturers say to replace after ANY accident, regardless of severity. Others allow continued use after minor accidents which meet certain criteria (Britax being one). If the manufacturer says it should be replaced based on your description of the accident, have them fax/e-mail you something to that effect in writing if possible. Then go to the insurance company, say that the seat manufacturer says it cannot be used any longer and should be replaced. If they still refuse to replace it (ask for a supervisor, move up the food chain, etc.), ask the insurance company to send you a letter taking all responsibility for any injuries your child may have if the seat were to fail in another accident - they likely will not want to do that ;).

bubbaray
01-29-2010, 09:21 PM
:yeahthat: to omom's post.

BUT, are you the one who's vehicle was hit by the dog and damaged that way? In that case, I'd try to convince the ins. co to replace, but I would be a-OK using the seats if they didn't.

o_mom
01-29-2010, 09:32 PM
:yeahthat: to omom's post.

BUT, are you the one who's vehicle was hit by the dog and damaged that way? In that case, I'd try to convince the ins. co to replace, but I would be a-OK using the seats if they didn't.

:yeahthat: right back at ya!

If they won't replace it in the end, I would be OK using it - even though it was a big dog, it doesn't sound like he was even hurt. Still call Britax on Monday, but don't be surprised if they say it doesn't need to be replaced.

Staraglimmer
01-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks! I just needed to hear that some of you would still use it. DH does not want to spend the $ right now if we don't have to. The car is not drivable, but no air bags deployed, so it is OK, I guess.

jjordan
01-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Here is the official word from britax:

. Britax recommends that the use of a child seat be discontinued if it has been in a severe crash. We further advise of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) position that it is not necessary to replace a child seat after a minor crash. A minor crash is one that meets ALL of following criteria:

The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;
The vehicle door nearest the child restraint was undamaged;
There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;
The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND
There is no visible damage to the child seat.

If your car is not driveable, then Britax would recommend that you DO replace the carseats. The insurance company should most definitely pay to replace them. Try telling them that the manufacturer insists that they be replaced, and request that (if they don't pay for a replacement) they write you a letter saying that they will take full responsibility in the case of the carseat failing in a future crash. (I've never done that myself, but I've heard that it can be very effective!)