PDA

View Full Version : Yet another what should I wear to the interview question

kozachka
01-29-2010, 10:22 PM
I've had interviews with three people at this particular company on two separate occasions. I was told this afternoon that I would also need to get interviewed by the boss of the boss of the department. They did not give me a date but it would be in 1-2 weeks or more because he could not commit to a date yet.

I am excited about the fact that I am still in the running, but a bit stumbled as to what to wear to this interview. I've already worn my two most conservative skirt suits that fit me best. I have another skirt suit that is made from pinstriped navy wool but the skirt is sort of girly, it has pleats in the bottom part in front and back. Some people like it, some like my DH don't. It's tight on me but if I had to fit into it in two weeks, I probably could. I also have a pinstriped navy pant suit that looks very nice on me but I am not sure if I'd be able to slim down that much or whether a pant suit would be appropriate for an interview with this executive. I also have a pair of suit pinstriped gray pants (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=517&Product_Id=1414253&Parent_Id=314&default_color=STEEL-GREY&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=)(similar or maybe even same as linked) which fit me really well but I did not buy the jacket (outlet did not have any in my size). I could buy another suit, but chances are I won't need yet another suit for this job. Finally, I can wear one of the suits that I already wore and pair with a different blouse. What would you do?

kijip
01-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Finally, I can wear one of the suits that I already wore and pair with a different blouse. What would you do?

That is what I would do. No one is going to care or even notice if you wear the same suit again. You can do a different blouse, different accessories, and that is what is so great about a great suit- they are versatile and you can wear them often. :)

bubbaray
01-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Hmmm, tough call. I'd probably buy just a new blouse and wear one of the other conservative suits you've worn previously.

I really hate suit shopping, though. Its right up there with bra and swimsuit shopping. I'd rather poke my eyeballs out.

TwinFoxes
01-29-2010, 10:47 PM
That is what I would do. No one is going to care or even notice if you wear the same suit again. You can do a different blouse, different accessories, and that is what is so great about a great suit- they are versatile and you can wear them often. :)

Completely agree. That's why you buy a classic suit. Good luck!!!

I'm surprised Bubbaray doesn't like suit shopping! I would think it's part of the territory for litigators. I always picture you in a bitchin' designer suit, and I guess I just assumed you liked shopping for them. :)

dcmom2b3
01-29-2010, 11:22 PM
I'd definitely go with one of the suits you've worn before and a new or different blouse. Positive thoughts coming your way, hoping you ace this last interview!

I'm surprised Bubbaray doesn't like suit shopping! I would think it's part of the territory for litigators. I always picture you in a bitchin' designer suit, and I guess I just assumed you liked shopping for them. :)

IME, suit shopping is hard for lady 'gators. Can't be too edgy, lest you run the risk of not being taken seriously. But then the same old thing gets, well, old. The day I wore red lizard slingbacks to the office you'd have thought I walked in topless . . .

ThreeofUs
01-29-2010, 11:49 PM

:yeahthat: Good suits wear well and often. Put on a nice scarf, different accessories, and a different blouse and *poof* it's a different outfit.

The day I wore red lizard slingbacks to the office you'd have thought I walked in topless . . .

:hysterical: TOTALLY know what you mean.

bubbaray
01-30-2010, 12:08 AM
IME, suit shopping is hard for lady 'gators. Can't be too edgy, lest you run the risk of not being taken seriously. But then the same old thing gets, well, old. The day I wore red lizard slingbacks to the office you'd have thought I walked in topless . . .

:yeahthat:

Anything that is cute, trendy and looks remotely good on me is not appropriate for my work.

Yawn.

DrSally
01-30-2010, 12:13 AM
If it were me, I would wear the best suit I had, even if it was one I already wore. I honestly don't think they would remember. Think about whether you would remember if a guy wore the same suit.

kozachka
01-30-2010, 12:22 AM
:yeahthat:

Anything that is cute, trendy and looks remotely good on me is not appropriate for my work.

Yawn.

Having worked with 'the boys' in investment banking and consulting I know exactly what you mean. That is why I am wondering about my probably very conservative by most standards pinstripe navy skirt suit.

Thank you for all your suggestion, ladies! I will wear one of the suits that I've already worn. And I'll check out new blouses/shirts, I could use a new one. Would something like this (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=318&Product_Id=1400569&Parent_Id=314&default_color=PINK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=) be too femenine, if I find it in my size? I used to have one very similar, and it worked beautifully with my dark hair and my dark suits.

kozachka
01-30-2010, 12:35 AM
I really hate suit shopping, though. Its right up there with bra and swimsuit shopping. I'd rather poke my eyeballs out.

I am surprised. I hate swimsuit shopping, almost as much as I used to hate jeans shopping (that was before I discovered Lucky Jeans and other nice jeans). At least with suits you can have them tailored but I do hate having to wear conservative suits every single day of the week.

ThreeofUs
01-30-2010, 12:43 AM
Would something like this (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=318&Product_Id=1400569&Parent_Id=314&default_color=PINK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=) be too femenine, if I find it in my size? I used to have one very similar, and it worked beautifully with my dark hair and my dark suits.

I like it. Feminine, but not pushover.

dcmom2b3
01-30-2010, 12:51 AM
Having worked with 'the boys' in investment banking and consulting I know exactly what you mean. That is why I am wondering about my probably very conservative by most standards pinstripe navy skirt suit.

Thank you for all your suggestion, ladies! I will wear one of the suits that I've already worn. And I'll check out new blouses/shirts, I could use a new one. Would something like this (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=318&Product_Id=1400569&Parent_Id=314&default_color=PINK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=) be too femenine, if I find it in my size? I used to have one very similar, and it worked beautifully with my dark hair and my dark suits.

I think it depends on how conservative or "old boy" this organization is. The style is impeccable, but the color pink can carry all kinds of connotations for people. And IME men tend to notice shirt color more than other style points, because it's part of their own sartorial code.

Red, lavender, grey, pale green I would do in a heartbeat. Even royal blue or deep purple. I would have second thoughts about wearing pink, though.

kozachka
01-30-2010, 01:09 AM
I am interviewing for an internal consulting position with a large hi-tech company in SF Bay area. I believe, based on the title, that the senior executive who is going to interview me next has a marketing background.

I plan on wearing either a pinstripe charcoal gray or black skirt suit to this interview. I've already worn a light blue pinstripe shirt and a cream blouse to the interviews. I also have a nice AT burgundy blouse but think it's too dark for an interview. I also have a nice white shirt that I could wear with the charcoal gray suit but find white too stark/boring/plain. I have dark hair, olive skin and do not look good in green. Something in lavender, if I can find it, would be nice. I love any shade of purple. Off to search for corporate videos on YouTube and images on Google.

dcmom2b3
01-30-2010, 01:15 AM
:duh: I'd forgotten that you're in California. Bay area, interview with someone who has a marketing background = pink is fine.

Break a leg!!!

DrSally
01-30-2010, 10:10 AM
I can't get the link for the blouse to work.

kozachka
01-30-2010, 12:19 PM
I can't get the link for the blouse to work.

Sorry. The shirt that I linked to has sold out since last night. It was very similar to this (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=318&Product_Id=1400615&Parent_Id=314&default_color=BLUE&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=) one - light pink but with thinner stripes and less than $40, so cheaper. I like that it's structured, wrinkle-free so would be easy to iron, and adds color to the outfit without being too much in your face. And I don't want another blue shirt. I'd have to check stock at SF or/and Palo Alto stores, there is almost nothing left in my size online. I also might stop by Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Talbots (if we have a store nearby) and J Crew to see what they have.

And even though the executive has the word marketing in his title, I am not completely sure about wearing a pink top to an interview. I am not applying for a marketing position, and the executive is from an older generation. I want to play it safe so that the focus is on me, and not my outfit.

DrSally
01-31-2010, 04:15 PM
And even though the executive has the word marketing in his title, I am not completely sure about wearing a pink top to an interview. I am not applying for a marketing position, and the executive is from an older generation. I want to play it safe so that the focus is on me, and not my outfit.

I think you should go with your instincts. If pink doesn't feel totally safe, then go with something else for the interview. IKWYM about another blue shirt. Maybe you can find something in cream, lavender, etc.

bubbaray
01-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Was the other shirt light blue? What about royal blue or navy (with the charcoal suit)?? Burgundy?